• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

So he spends a year in prison if we're lucky and he gets out on parole where no doubt he will sue the Canadian government and get a large cash payout.  ::)

To borrow from the movie Invictus.  Changes mine.
[first lines]
High School Boy: [seeing passing motorcade] Who is it, sir?
High School Coach: It's the terrorist Mandela Khadr, they let him out. Remember this day boys, this is the day our country went to the dogs.
:boke:

jollyjacktar said:
To borrow from the movie Invictus.  Changes mine.  :boke:

[first lines]
High School Boy: [seeing passing motorcade] Who is it, sir?
High School Coach: It's the terrorist Mandela Khadr, they let him out. Remember this day boys, this is the day our country went to the dogs.

I don't understand, so I'm going to ask instead of assume. Was that sarcasm? Or are you upset Apartheid ended?

*Edited because I can't quote properly.

I would have thought the crossing out of Mr. Mandela's name for the P.O.S. Khadr's name, following by me puking would be clue enough.  No. No sarcasm either or I would have used that smiley.  And yes, (with this borrowed and modified movie quote) I will echo the comment that with this a-hole's homecoming, this country has gone to the dogs.

JJ, just say you are sad apartheid ended so mister oo7 can get all indignant and go on a rant.

You know, because he can't read.

CDN Aviator said:
JJ, just say you are sad apartheid ended so mister oo7 can get all indignant and go on a rant.

You know, because he can't read.
Only if I get to watch his head explode.  :nod:

Chief Stoker said:
So he spends a year in prison if we're lucky and he gets out on parole where no doubt he will sue the Canadian government and get a large cash payout.  ::)

Thankfully being eligible for parole does not equal being granted parole.

What I posted on CBC;

This guy will receive more services and support then most of our wounded soldiers from the same conflict.

How great is Canada that this can happen, everyone should ignore this guy, he will be paraded by some as the reason why Canada has great Human Rights laws.

I for one wont waste to much time on this and will continue to support those who actually faught for this county and did so to ensure this guy could be a superstar.... $#%^&

My two cents..
Andrew :salute: :cdn:

He wants to sue for 10 Million. All our wounded should sue him for part of that.

Our wounded should sue for 10 million each.

No doubt in my mind he will be trotted out like a prize pony when the apologists want to make some headlines.

GAP said:
Sure hope he gets placed in general pop......

Depends in what part of Millhaven he goes to. Millhaven is divided into two separate units; there's the Millhaven Assessment Unit (MAU) where all Ontario prisoners sentenced to Federal prison are assessed as to whether they will go to a maximum, medium or minimum prison. Inmates in the MAU are supposed to be there for about 6 months (in actual cases they may be there for longer) while they are processed.

Then there is the Millhaven Security Unit (MSU) which is for the hardcases. Inmates sent there will spend several years in residence.

So, depending on whether Khadr goes to the MAU or MSU will/may give an indication as to where he spends his sentence.

Retired AF Guy said:
Depends in what part of Millhaven he goes to. Millhaven is divided into two separate units; there's the Millhaven Assessment Unit (MAU) where all Ontario prisoners sentenced to Federal prison are assessed as to whether they will go to a maximum, medium or minimum prison. Inmates in the MAU are supposed to be there for about 6 months (in actual cases they may be there for longer) while they are processed.

Then there is the Millhaven Security Unit (MSU) which is for the hardcases. Inmates sent there will spend several years in residence.

So, depending on whether Khadr goes to the MAU or MSU will/may give an indication as to where he spends his sentence.

My guess he goes into segregation, hopefully 23.5 hours per day lockdown for his own safety.

I want to rage right now....and rant....the f:cling apologists for this guy make me want to puke. Where is my son? I want to rub that in their faces.....where are our sons and daughters? They are dead, killed by the likes of this f:cking terrorist. :rage:

Jim's post sums it up. Anything else, especially the outrage, just makes us look like neanderthals. He's back here and we have to simply deal with that.

Scott
Staff

And our situation has not been helped by the F35 controversy and the scandal - manufactured and otherwise - over the use of aircraft and helicopters by senior members of DND and the CF as well as the cost of the flight to bring the accused killer back from Germany and the soon to be trumpeted above the fold story about the taxpayer funded flight to return Khadr to Trenton.

Mod edit:  pulled Khadr flights posts from Defence Budget thread to improve flow there and keep Khadr info together here.

Old Sweat: Khadr was brought to Trenton in a US plane (whether or not that makes a difference):

"...
“Your side balked [and said] no military jet with a Maple Leaf on its tail was taking Omar home,” is how one U.S. official described Canada’s position. It was an issue that – according to a Canadian official – eventually wound up on the agenda for high-level talks, and U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta agreed. In the end, it was a U.S. Air Force jet that flew Mr. Khadr to Canada early Saturday..."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/omar-khadrs-return-an-unavoidable-evil/article4578639/

Mark
Ottawa

Mark

There was a story this morning that he was transported on a RCAF Airbus. I will see if I can find it, or if I will have a hearty bowl of words for supper.

Edit: The story is on page A4 of today's National Post. There is a picture of an Airbus parked at Trenton that, according to the caption, brought him back to Canada.

MarkOttawa said:
Old Sweat: Khadr was brought to Trenton in a US plane (whether or not that makes a difference):

"...
“Your side balked [and said] no military jet with a Maple Leaf on its tail was taking Omar home,” is how one U.S. official described Canada’s position. It was an issue that – according to a Canadian official – eventually wound up on the agenda for high-level talks, and U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta agreed. In the end, it was a U.S. Air Force jet that flew Mr. Khadr to Canada early Saturday..."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/omar-khadrs-return-an-unavoidable-evil/article4578639/

Mark
Ottawa
Old Sweat said:
Mark

There was a story this morning that he was transported on a RCAF Airbus. I will see if I can find it, or if I will have a hearty bowl of words for supper.

Edit: The story is on page A4 of today's National Post. There is a picture of an Airbus parked at Trenton that, according to the caption, brought him back to Canada.
Trenton's back-yard media says this:
.... Khadr landed at CFB Trenton military base Saturday morning after being transported from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, aboard a U.S. government plane and was then brought to Millhaven maximum-security prison in Bath, Ont ....

The Canadian Press also says this:
A decade after 15-year-old Omar Khadr was pulled near death from the rubble of a bombed-out compound in Afghanistan, the Canadian citizen set foot on Canadian soil early Saturday following an American military flight from the notorious prison in Guantanamo Bay ....

I'd bet on the U.S. military flight....

Old Sweat said:
Mark

The caption doesn't say that the Airbus brought him back...

A Canadian Forces plane stands on the tarmac at CFB Trenton on Saturday, September 29, 2012. Omar Khadr is back in Canada after spending nearly a decade in the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Public Safety Minister Vic Toews has confirmed that Khadr landed this morning at 7:40 a.m. ET at the Canadian Forces Base in Trenton, Ont. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Lars Hagberg

Plus they would never deploy a tanker for such a task, at least I don't think they would given the limited refueling assets in the area.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Additionally, according to a friend who keeps a radar box tracker of flights which pass through the Kingston control zone the only plane which arrived in the time slot indicated on that date is a C-17 from the USAF.  It arrived at about 0715 and departed at 0845.  There was no Polaris on the sched at all.

An update:
"Omar Khadr should be monitored with electronic bracelets when he’s released from prison, says a Scarborough group that him charged with treason.  Shobie Kapoor, of Canadian Patriotic Society — a grass roots citizens group — insisted Sunday that Khadr will be used by Islamic extremists as a “propaganda machine on the GTA mosque circuit.”  She said Khadr, 26, can also be used to raise funds and recruits at Toronto-area mosques when he’s freed.  “He will draw out all the jihadis,” Kapoor said. “They will all pay big money to see him.”  Her group gave Scarborough Centre MP Roxanne Jame a 100-name petition which calls for Khadr to be charged with treason. The Conservative MP is expected to pass it along this week to Public Safety Minister Vic Toews. ( .... ) “The Government of Canada is requested to try Omar Khadr for treason under the laws of Canada for his actions against coalition forces in Afghanistan,” said her group’s petition ...."
Toronto Sun, 7 Oct 12

A reminder:  unless the federal government's position changes, it's up to the province .....
Federal Justice Minister and Attorney General Rob Nicholson says the question of laying charges of treason against Omar Khadr is a provincial and police matter.

The issue was raised after Public Safety Minister Vic Toews announced last week that he had received an American request to transfer the Canadian-born convicted terrorist and murderer to Canadian custody.

"We cannot comment on specific cases," said Julie Di Mambro, spokeswoman for Nicholson. "In Canada, the decision to lay and pursue Criminal Code charges rests with police and provincial Crown attorneys." ....
Toronto Sun, 23 Apr 12

Another alternative in Ontario:  private prosecution
Generally, allegations of criminal activity are reported to the police. After the police investigate, they may lay criminal charges. However, anyone who has reasonable grounds to believe that a person has committed an offence may lay an information in writing and under oath before a Justice of the Peace.

When the information is presented to the court by a private citizen, it is then referred to either a provincial court judge or a designated justice of the peace, who holds a special hearing.  The purpose of the hearing is to determine whether a summons or warrant should be issued to compel the person to attend court and answer to the charge.

This hearing, held under s. 507.1 of the Criminal Code, takes place in private, without notice to the accused person.  At the hearing, the judge or justice of the peace must hear and consider all of the allegations and available evidence.

The Crown must also receive a copy of the information,  get notice of the hearing, and have an opportunity to attend.  The Crown may attend at the hearing without being deemed to intervene in the proceedings.

If the judge or justice of the peace decides not to issue a summons or a warrant, then the information is deemed never to have been laid.

If the judge or justice of the peace issues a summons, the person will be served with a copy of the summons, which notifies them of the charge and compels them to attend court.  If the judge or justice of the peace issues a warrant, the person will be arrested and brought before a justice.

To avoid any abuse of the private prosecution process, the Criminal Code and the Crown Attorneys Act authorize Crown Counsel to supervise privately laid charges to ensure that such prosecutions are in the best interest of the administration of justice ....

Back