• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Khadr Thread

George Wallace said:
In fact only one of many problems we have with our current Refugee/Immigration/Visa Systems.  We also have the Somali Warlord's family in Toronto.  How many of these 'people' have been able to find loopholes or just slide through the cracks in our Security?  They are a minority who give the vast majority of Legal Immigrants and bona fide Refugees a bad name.

Then there are the Triads and their connections a few years back getting visas and passports. The "thug from Shawinigan" and his ilk pretty much covered it over.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20040327/wfive_immigration_040327/20040327/

And this "thug" stated that our PM was wrong in that he did not attend the Olympics in Bejing. Yeah right.....

NOW get this, CHINA!! of all nations now doesn't want sausage casings made by Maple Leaf Foods. And this is the nation that sells us poisoned pet food, lead in the toys our little kids play with, and crap in the toothpaste. :rage:

Jonathan Kay on the Khadr family's warm-and-fuzzy web site: It's all about "giving, sharing and helping"
Posted: September 10, 2008, 3:42 PM by Jonathan Kay
Article Link

As noted first on  DustMyBroom: The Khadr family has set up a web site to "tell our story." Surprise, surprise: It's a total whitewash of the family's role in promoting terrorism and radical Islam. Here, for instance, is what the site has to say about uber-terrorist patriarch Ahmed Khadr: "In 1985, after spending two summers volunteering in refugee camps, [Ahmed] resolved to move his family to the Afghanistan-Pakistan border and try to help the country rebuild after its devastating invasion by the Soviet Union. This decision changed our lives forever, and made us who we are today. And so our life of giving, sharing and helping began ... For all the fear and hatred, for all the rumors and lies spread about us, we remain what we have always been; a Canadian family proud to have used our contacts and resources to build a series of orphanages, schools and hospitals across war-torn Afghanistan."
More on link

GAP said:
"In 1985, after spending two summers volunteering in refugee camps, [Ahmed] resolved to move his family to the Afghanistan-Pakistan border and try to help the country rebuild after its devastating invasion by the Soviet Union. This decision changed our lives forever, and made us who we are today. And so our life of giving, sharing and helping began ... For all the fear and hatred, for all the rumors and lies spread about us, we remain what we have always been; a Canadian family proud to have used our contacts and resources to build a series of orphanages, schools and hospitals across war-torn Afghanistan."

I think someone messed up. Here's my translation:

"In 1985, after spending two summers volunteering in terrorist camps, [Ahmed] resolved to move his chattel to the Afghanistan-Pakistan border and try to plunge the country further into darkness after its devastating invasion by the godless Soviet infidels. This decision changed our lives forever, and made us who we are today. And so our life of throwing grenades, firing Kalishnakovs and aiming RPGs began ... For all the justifiable fear and hatred, for all the intelligence and documented truth spread about us, we remain what we have always been; a Canadian passport-holding family proud to have used our contacts and resources to bilk off the Canadian system, populate a series of orphanages, madrasas and hospitals across war-torn Afghanistan."

Link to La Presse article (in French) follows Toronto Star article, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Khadr must face trial: Harper
PM dismisses report he was open to returning Guantanamo inmate to Canada

Joanna Smith, Toronto Star, 26 Sept 08
Article link

Prime Minister Stephen Harper denied a report suggesting he would be open to bringing home Omar Khadr from Guantanamo Bay.

The Montreal newspaper La Presse reported today that shortly before the election was called, Governor General Michaëlle Jean asked Harper whether he would repatriate Khadr, a Canadian who has spent the past six years in prison accused of murdering an American soldier in Afghanistan in 2002.

According to La Presse, Harper told Jean he was not completely against an eventual repatriation but he said his caucus and party base would never accept such a thing.

"This story is false," Harper told reporters in Calgary today. "My position on Mr. Khadr is clear. He is charged with very serious crimes and we believe that he should face trial on those charges."

It is the same line he has delivered for months: that Canada must allow the American justice system to follow its course.

The newspaper said the discussion took place after the public release of an interrogation video in which a then 16-year-old Khadr cried and showed his wounds to a seemingly nonchalant CSIS official during a meeting inside the Guantanamo prison where Khadr has been for the past six years.

A spokesperson for Jean could neither confirm nor deny any meeting took place.

"They are confidential and you understand it is between the Prime Minister and the Governor General," Marthe Bloin said Friday. "I don't attend and I cannot even have the idea of trying to find out if it's true or not."

La Presse reported Jean and her husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, consulted with experts in constitutional matters and international law and came to the conclusion that Canada should repatriate Khadr to respect his charter rights and also international conventions on child soldiers.

With files from Les Whittington

Vincent Marissal, "Michaëlle Jean a réclamé le rapatriement d'Omar Khadr," La Presse, 26 Sept 08

And an editorial from today's Globe & Mail, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

The right to warn, but not to leak

If true, reports that Governor-General Michaëlle Jean pressed Prime Minister Stephen Harper to repatriate Omar Khadr, who is accused of being a terrorist, to Canada from Guantanamo Bay would not constitute an abuse of her office. As the British constitutional thinker Walter Bagehot famously wrote, "The sovereign has, under a constitutional monarchy such as ours, three rights - the right to be consulted, the right to encourage, the right to warn."

Ms. Jean has neither the great experience nor the moral authority of the Queen; she is, however, the representative of our head of state, she meets large numbers of Canadians and she does have the benefit of independence and detachment.

If anything, it is unfortunate that a strain exists across Sussex Drive. The Prime Minister would benefit from regular meetings with the Governor-General, which were once a custom in this country.

The scandal here is not that Ms. Jean may have privately advocated Mr. Khadr's return, but that such an exchange would have been leaked, seemingly to cause political embarrassment to Mr. Harper in Quebec during a federal election campaign.

Mr. Harper on Friday said the La Presse story was wrong, but focused on the report's suggestion that he was not entirely against an eventual repatriation, but had told Ms. Jean his caucus and party base would never accept such a thing. "This story is false. My position on Mr. Khadr is clear. He's charged with very serious crimes and we believe that he should face trial on those charges," Mr. Harper said. But he was cagey on the question of whether Ms. Jean had intervened over the Khadr case: "Obviously I would not get into any discussion that would attribute political opinions to the Governor-General." It is proper that the Prime Minister would take such a position. The question is whether his discretion has been reciprocated.

La Presse reported that Ms. Jean's intervention came after she and her husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, had consulted with experts in constitutional and international law, concluding that the government must repatriate Mr. Khadr to comply with Canada's Charter of Rights and international conventions on child soldiers. It is not the kind of information likely to have come from one of Mr. Harper's spin doctors. It happens to come a few days after Mr. Lafond, speaking in the context of the Conservative government's cuts to art funding, told The Globe "it's very safe for a politician to destroy culture."

If it is in fact shown that the Khadr leak originated at Rideau Hall, then questions would need to be asked about Ms. Jean's impartiality, and hence her ability to exercise her constitutional responsibilities.

This is, potentially, a very serious Constitutional problem.

That there are any leaks, on almost any subject, from Rideau Hall is a problem in and of itself – but usually a very minor one and easily put right.

But the demi-official ‘conversations’ between the sovereign (or her representative) and her prime minister are, always and without fail, absolutely private. No one, beyond those two individuals, has any right or reason to be privy to their discussions. The fact that everyone who reads the papers in Canada know ‘knows’ that Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean “may have privately advocated Mr. Khadr's return” is a big problem .

It is not wrong that Mme. Jean is concerned about Mr. Khadr’s constitutional rights; it is not wrong that she ‘advocated’ a position, a proposal to the PM; it is Constitutionally unacceptable that her counsel was made public. That problem, if it involved her, her family or her staff, may cost Mme. Jean her job – as soon as a new government is installed.

Fortunately an excellent potential replacement lives just down the street and has always been willing to serve when called.

My son was repatriated through Trenton. This little b@stard can rot in hell, along with his terrorist family.

When Cretian/Martin (can't remember which one...Martin I think) picked the GG, they knew the controversy and the baggage she came with. They were content with it as long it was going to be them in power, but they had to have known at one point or another, if Harper got in, they were going to lock horns over her and her husband's orientation.....totally 180 degrees...

I'm glad it leaked out.....it tells us it time to put else someone in

GAP,
To date, the GG has done a commendable job and neither she nor her husband have done anything to deserve the derision you are dishing out.

If anything, it'd be someone with a personal agenda - looking to "out" her - that intentionally leaked the info to the media.

I met the Governor General in Trenton. She is one of the nicest people I've ever met. SHE CARES!!
The former GG was there as well. SHE CARES TOO.

As for the Khadrs...I think you know how I feel about them.

I don’t think anyone doubt’s Mme. Jean’s fine qualities as a person.

The issue- an important issue – is: who leaked the details of the conversation?

Who was there? Mme. Jean, of course, Mr. Harper, of course. Some staffers, too? Hers? His? Who, if anyone, did she tell what she planned to or did tell the PM? Who did Harper tell?

The list is not long. Someone needs to own up to either an error in judgment or a crass bit of political vandalism. If it was only the former then a slap on the wrist will suffice; if it was the latter then someone in Rideau Hall of on the PM’s team must go.

It could also be black information, that is a malicious story planted as a leak with a compliant journalist by a third party with an agenda. Perhaps not likely, but not outside the realm of possibility. Still, in the absence of any good intelligence, I would look for the culprit closer to home.

geo said:
GAP,
To date, the GG has done a commendable job and neither she nor her husband have done anything to deserve the derision you are dishing out.

If anything, it'd be someone with a personal agenda - looking to "out" her - that intentionally leaked the info to the media.

I thought so too, and she just disappeared off my horizon....everything to date seemed standard fare for a GG....better than Clarkson by a long shot, and more effective for ceremonial position...

GAP said:
I thought so too, and she just disappeared off my horizon....everything to date seemed standard fare for a GG....better than Clarkson by a long shot, and more effective for ceremonial position...

Hmmm. I thought Mme. Clarkson did an excellent job, despite a few cheap shots and a disgraceful lack of support from several politicians.

My only objection to Mme. Jean was that the appointment, not the woman, was so ‘copycat.’

One can imagine Paul Martin saying: “Well, gee, Adrianne has done a great job. We need someone just like her: attractive, classy, well spoken in both languages, great communicator and so on.” One of the staff replies: “Hey! How about Michaëlle Jean, she’s attractive and classy, too, and a great communicator in both languages and she’s even more of a visible minority and even more feminine and a mother to boot!”

I was on one major ceremonial event with Mme. Clarkson; in my view she was superb at that part of the job – better than anyone since Vanier.

I heard that her exactly right response to the casualties in Kandahar (18 Apr 02) (leaving Buckingham Palace to meet the bodies in Germany and bring ‘her’ soldiers home) was entirely her idea, her instinctive reaction; the right reaction.

I know that she wrote her own moving address at the consecration of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier – she finished it, in both English and French, polishing a couple of phrases, in the limo, on her way to the ceremony and gave one hand written (French) copy to her ADC to give to the interpreters so that they would get it 'right' in French, as she intended.

E.R. Campbell said:
I don’t think anyone doubt’s Mme. Jean’s fine qualities as a person.

The issue- an important issue – is: who leaked the details of the conversation?

Who was there? Mme. Jean, of course, Mr. Harper, of course. Some staffers, too? Hers? His? Who, if anyone, did she tell what she planned to or did tell the PM? Who did Harper tell?

The list is not long. Someone needs to own up to either an error in judgment or a crass bit of political vandalism. If it was only the former then a slap on the wrist will suffice; if it was the latter then someone in Rideau Hall of on the PM’s team must go.

This is where the walls have ears, and staff on all levels, need to be properly briefed on Security.  If there are staff, at any level, who are not trust worthy and discrete, then rumours will leak out.  It could be like a game of Clue, where the Butler did it, or perhaps a indiscrete Caterer's employee.  There are many people travelling in political circles at the lowest levels, who have no problems with not keeping what they heard in confidence, even if what they heard was only a partial conversation, or a conversation taken out of context. 

She was probably everything you say she was ER....but  from here she struck me as eliteist.

The controversy over her budget didn't enhance her view in the public's eye. Just never took to her, but in all honesty it was not based on anything concret and I am affected by gossip as anyone....

OldSolduer said:
My son was repatriated through Trenton. This little b@stard can rot in hell, along with his terrorist family.

Brother,

You hit the nail on the head.

Let him rot, and never ever set foot on our land.  Not him.  Not his body.  Not his ashes. Not even a memory that he was ever a Canadian.

May the powers that be come to their senses.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Brother,

You hit the nail on the head.

Let him rot, and never ever set foot on our land.  Not him.  Not his body.  Not his ashes. Not even a memory that he was ever a Canadian.

May the powers that be come to their senses.

dileas

tess

Well said Tess, and in total concurrance.

Regards,

Wes

Back