• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Irish Regiment of Canada - 1930s

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have any of the Militia Lists for the 1930s.  I'm trying to confirm Victor Ramsay on the slate of officers of The Irish Regiment of Canada, possibly as Adjutant starting in 1930 or 1931.

Michael O'Leary said:
Does anyone happen to have any of the Militia Lists for the 1930s.  I'm trying to confirm Victor Ramsay on the slate of officers of The Irish Regiment of Canada, possibly as Adjutant starting in 1930 or 1931.

I don't have the lists, but I have a named Irish Regiment of Canada mess uniform for a 2Lt dating to that era hanging in my closet at home... I'll read the label when I return from the library!

Its not Victor Ramsay's (the name is too faded to tell for certain), but it looks as though it belonged to D. --------  and it seems to have been made in 1928, and it actually has enough pip-holes to have been a Captain's.  I imagine a previous owner must have known Mr. Ramsay!

My pleasure! I knew it was a long shot, but like you, I'm "the scum of the earth" - and I mean that in the most flattering of ways possible!

Corps of Guides said:
My pleasure! I knew it was a long shot, but like you, I'm "the scum of the earth" - and I mean that in the most flattering of ways possible!

Is it even possible to say that in a flattering way?  :)

Michael,

I have a copy of the 1936 Militia List.  Under the 'Irish Regiment of Canada' there is no mention of a Victor Ramsay in either the active or reserve battalion.

I also checked the List's nominal index for the Militia and did not find either a Ramsay or a Ramsey with the initial 'V' for the first or second name.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dan.

There is a "Captain Victor Ramsay" reported in the Toronto Star in that period. He was a realtor with Gibson Realty.

Thank you gentlemen.  No mention in the 1936 list at least closes the possible dates of service.

Back