• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The infantry: Seeking to dispel some rumours

Gouki

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm Steve, 22/male, living in CFB Shilo. Been surrounded by military my entire life, I guess that makes me an army brat (father is a Warrant of 22 yrs, former RCR when he was a Junior NCO now a Clerk - what a change of pace!) Recently, I've been thinking of going into the infantry.. Many reasons really, for one I would love getting paid to train to be fit and be fit itself, and want a challenging job that will remake me into something more than what I am. And plus I love guns and such (proud owner of two rifles..bolt action though, nothing assault :() I am going in on monday for Interview, Medical and Physical.

I entered as clerk, and may do that a year if my fitness is not up to infantry expectations come January (my estimated time for BMQ).

However, I wanted to clear up some things here about the infantry. Now, with the 2PPCLI here and me working at the gym as a Commissionaire, I've talked with lots of Patricias and I've read so many threads about the infantry on these forums that I've learned quite a lot, but still want to address some things that's been bothering me.

When I told my father I was gonna go infantry, he said "nah, you don't want to live that kind of life" and proceeded to tell me about how it's not a great quality of life, they get **** on repeatedly, treated terribly, etc etc. I know that, being the infantry things are not going to be 5 star comfort rates - but I've never been concerned with that anyhow. What I would just like to know is, what is the attitude and treatment and everything else like in the infantry? I'm well aware of the nature of the beast and how you must take the good with the bad, but generally how are you infanteers treated within your regiments? Are you really treated like crap and always in crap conditions?

Another thing I've gotten conflicting reports on is generally what the career is like. I know that it's always changing and has a broken rhythm to it (from what I've been told at least) but I've heard some guys actually complaining about there not being enough things to do. Some of the Pats around here are complaining that outside their PT training, all they do is maintain equipment and they don't get to do some of the fun stuff they did back up in Kapyong. I assume that a large factor in this is the base you're at and it's funding, but what are you personal experiences? Are you always on the go, or do you find that you operations and soldier training (like, section attacks or going into the field and such, not regular PT) have taken a back seat recently?

One Patricia told me he used to work a dead end job, and he wanted a job with meaning and 2 years ago joined up (he is 25 now). He said he has no regrets and told me to just get out there and sign up instead of sitting and waiting. While I do not want to rush into anything as big as my career blindly, I tend to over-analyze situations. Do you think this was good advice? Would you recommend the same?

I wold like to hear from all the infanteers here.. PPCLI, VanDoo, RCR, whatever, doesn't matter to me. I just wanna clear up a few of these last questions I haven't been able to get answers to in person. Thank you all very much for assisting!

Hello,

Ya im also trying to find out some of that stuff, im hoping ot join the Infantry in 2 years, after im done high school.

~Thanato

hey this is post 100 for me!! And I get to talk about the infantry!

Asking for an infanteer to describe what he does is like going up to Robert Deniro and saying tell me in a nutshell what acting is about.    What I am trying to say, ya it is hard work, but so is preparing paperwork for a trial, or setting up inventory in a stores, or learing how to treat blisters so the soldier can carry on with the mission.

All of our jobs can be hard, fun, or plain boring.   Do we get s**t on?   Tell me a trade that doesn't.   Maybe the type that gets dumped on us smells more, but in the end it is still poop.

Being a dead end trade, hey it's what you make of it.   You have to look at yourself and see what you want to do 5, 10, 15, even 20 years from now.   Set youself a goal.   You are in the military already, so it is no mystery to you of the shite that can happen.

I say jump in, have fun and go for it.   If you don't like it remuster back to clerk.   At leaste you will be the toughest one in the orderly room.... ;)

tess

Well, long term I was sort of hoping to perhaps be an instructor at good ol St. Jean or maybe some infantry related courses (if I really do go that route) and maybe later on go for unarmed combat instructor since I'm already really involved with muay thai kickboxing I figure it would let me put those skills to use. That's not such a bad goal huh?

You're quite right about the hard work and it's different forms.. I don't know why it never occured to me. I guess, it's because people don't normally like pain by nature, so that's why the infantry seems to be overblown a lot.. But as you pointed out, hard work is hard work everywhere, just a matter of being the same thing in a different package.

And you're also right with your advice... If I really don't like it or (God forbid) can't cut it, I could always remuster back to clerk and re-figure things out from there. Although, if I do try out, I'm not going to give remustering a second thought (don't want to even think of failure) however the advice still stands.

Thanks for replying! How are you finding the infantry?

a bummer

I hate the yelling, my knees hurt, and the cam is still coming out of my pores.

otherwise it is the best trade, bar none!!

tess

Are you really treated like crap and always in crap conditions?

As for living conditions:

I'm living in single quarters, which is just fine considering I don't have kids, local family, or even a girlfriend. Work is only a 7 minute walk away and I have no need to get myself a car and all the hassles that go with it. I'm on a meal plan, which means that I pay a monthly fee and I get all I can eat on a swipe card at the mess which is only 5 minute walk away. No cooking, no clean up, and I eat FAR better then most college kids. All said and done, I live off less then $500 a month which includes food, a place to sleep, cable, phone and high speed internet. I have access to a well equipped gym and two different martial arts clubs for free, and who knows how many other clubs for a reasonable membership fee.

If you're young and unattached, living conditions are pretty damn good. On the other hand, things change if you're trying to feed a family. But I'll leave that for someone else to comment on.

As for working conditions:

As a Pte in the RCR its alright. Its my understanding that training is done in cycles, and it just so happens that my unit is expected to deploy in the near future so we've been kept pretty busy. In the past few months I've been doing alot of your typical infanteer stuff: shooting various weapons, dry attacks, live mechanized attacks, peacekeeping-type exercises (so they say), ect. On the other hand, this past spring was pretty slow. Guys were getting back from overseas and we were doing alot of PT and not much else. In my opinion, they've got it going so that when its slow you're anxious to get out in the field and when you're in the field a little locker sentry doesn't sound half bad. I think its pretty good, but people do get tired of it after awhile. Alot of guys do their first contract and decide that if they don't have the opportunity to get out of a Rifle Coy they're going to re-muster or leave. Your dad's story is a common one. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who like their jobs enough to stay in. After all, where did the Sr NCOs come from?

I hope this helps, but like any other job the infantry is what you make of it. At least in this stage of my life, I don't have many complaints.

hey ghostwalk i see the routine has't changed in 12 years,good summery,what batt u in,i was in 1,2 :salute:

Recently, I've been thinking of going into the infantry.. Many reasons really, for one I would love getting paid to train to be fit and be fit itself

Steve, got to university and get a degree, do the reserves for that time, then you will have a better idea if the infantry is for you. If you do decide to go infantry right away, which is not a bad idea at all, continue to get an education part time. I'm 27 now and wish I'd gone to school. I plan on going reg Army soon and am now registered in school at RMC part time. DO NOT GO THROUGH LIFE UNEDUCATED!!!!!!!!!

Is the infantry for you? I spent several years in 2VP while they were in w-peg and here is my advice. If you like doing challenging jobs and if you are really into a very physical, outdoor job that requires some balls then any of the 4 combat arms are what you are looking for. If you just want employment then don't bother with any of the combat arms and be a clerk or something like that..
Take the time and do your research. Watch the battalion (you said you live in Shilo?) for a couple of weeks and decide if thats what you want to do !!!

Rounder said:
Steve, got to university and get a degree, do the reserves for that time, then you will have a better idea if the infantry is for you. If you do decide to go infantry right away, which is not a bad idea at all, continue to get an education part time. I'm 27 now and wish I'd gone to school. I plan on going reg Army soon and am now registered in school at RMC part time. DO NOT GO THROUGH LIFE UNEDUCATED!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice! I was in the Reserves for about 9 months in 26 Field Arty Regt. but I've changed a lot mentall and physically since then. At the time, I was mentally very weak and ill-prepared for the army. I've had quite a change of heart and mind since then however, and it has been two years in which I've gained a lot of experience. I was in university for one year, but did not like what I was doing (at the time I was in the Nursing program thinking I would try to become a nurse). I do however have plans to persue an education..if I join the infantry, I was thinking of getting my commission once I was a Sgt. im some related field. Just a loose plan though.

Rick: One of my biggest piss off's are being still too long, and doing a desk job. I do not like being confined indoors and sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day. I like the freedom of being outdoors. And I am definately not just looking for mere employment, I want something meaningful.

I'm keeping my eyes and ears open, believe me. I've been trying to watch the 2VP here as much as I can, for instance I see them many times at their compound outside either doing group PT or doing unarmed combat practice which I desperately wish someone would pay me to do as well.

Rick, I want to ask, how were your experiences? I ask everyone I meet in the infantry about their careers .. after all, if I can learn from the experiences of those who went before me, it'll make be wiser in the end. I love to hear stories of people from the infantry, in fact I listened intently to a guy who basically went from start to finish of his career and it took him darn near an hour to do it.

Ghostwalk, how are you finding the RCR's? I've been eyeing them closely as well, because they have a unit out in Gagetown which is near my friends/family back in my home province of NS.. I know some may say "don't join them for that reason" but in my mind, both RCR and PPCLI are just as good and would be honourable to serve in both really.

been doing this for 10 years, now. I'd do nothing else. On many threads I will bitch and moan about the job, but there is nothing as satisfying, and nothing as important.
This is not a job (nor is it an adventure) it is a CALLING.
Nowhere else will you find men you will come to love more. Nowhere else will you find men you will come to hate more. Nowhere else will you truly understand what it means to be a citizen of the greatest country in the world.
Enlist. If you find you don't like it, you can always get out. Micky D's is hiring 24/7. And they'll let you wear your wings!

That sums up how I feel.. It's more than just why I think I would be good for the infantry, or how good my shot is, or whatever else I feel I can bring to the table. I just can't see myself doing anything else...Not something I want to do, but have to do.

That make any sense? I can't describe it any better way..

ghostwalk is in the same platoon as me.
we're both in 1 RCR
he sums up everything that's happening about right.
31 brakes rules! haha.
it's true though. you've got it made if you live in the jr. nco's shacks, have no relationship, and no bills to pay. you'll make decent scratch. the only reason I've always got no money is because I blow it all on the girlfriend back home when I go home on weekends  :-[
Greg

Make up your mind is what you need to do. You've been all over the map, doin this, that, quittin, re-doin it.

You're right, BKells..Absolutely right. This is my goal, and through hell or high water I'm going to shoot for it.

If anyone else reads this, and are unsure about things like I am, take my advice: go for it. Don't wait around, you'll find yourself in a precarious position like the one I am in and it's not very fun.

I agree with some of the guys above.. When i was a Pte in 2VP, single and living in shacks, I had ca$h growing out of my ears. Not to mention I was drunk every friday and had a blast. Oh the young days... Sorry getting sentimental..

That much cash huh? Always nice to hear.

Aren't Privates or something getting a pay increase in the next year?

But yeah, when I drive by the barracks and see all the Privates and Corporals with new cars/trucks/bikes, I had to admit that these days it seems they are making some pretty solid cash.

Gouki said:
That sums up how I feel.. It's more than just why I think I would be good for the infantry, or how good my shot is, or whatever else I feel I can bring to the table. I just can't see myself doing anything else...Not something I want to do, but have to do.

That make any sense? I can't describe it any better way..

That's how I've been feeling lately.

Watch the movie "FUBAR"..........One of the guys describes to Farrel his life's plan.......You know, what he plans to do with his career and his life..........Ready for it? This is amazing........You sure you're ready for it?........JUST GIVE 'ER!!!!!

Seriously.....Go for it! You're not locked in for life, if nothing else you come out with some cool stories, some friends you'll have for life and maybe a medal or 2. All of that, some $$$ in your pocket if you're smart, and you might like it enough to make it a career. If not, do your time, learn some cool stuff about yourself, get out and live a great life. You might end up a politician who loved his time in the army and is a major supporter of our troops........How much time you gonna spend wondering whether you should finally do it? Join up now.....You can always change your mind later, before you're signed on the dotted line..............Remember........JUST GIVE 'ER!!! I bet your dad will support whatever you decide to do.

Good luck.

Back