• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Hurt Locker" new feature film on EOD/bomb squad GIs in Iraq

This, from AP:
A producer of the war story "The Hurt Locker" will not be allowed to attend the Academy Awards because of e-mails he sent urging academy members to vote for his movie. But he will receive an Oscar if his film wins best picture.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the action Tuesday against producer Nicolas Chartier, who violated Oscar rules that prohibit mailings promoting a film by disparaging another.

Chartier sent e-mails seeking support for "The Hurt Locker," "not a "$500 million film"—an obvious reference to best-picture contender "Avatar." Chartier apologized in a subsequent e-mail.

While Chartier cannot attend Sunday's ceremony, he would receive his Oscar later if "The Hurt Locker" wins.

:tsktsk:

This, from Salon.com:
A bomb disposal expert who served in the Iraq war plans to sue the makers of "The Hurt Locker," claiming the film's lead character is based on him and that they cheated him out of "financial participation in the film."

Attorney Geoffrey Fieger says he plans to file the multimillion-dollar lawsuit in Detroit federal court on behalf of Master Sgt. Jeffry Sarver. He planned a news conference for later Wednesday.

Sarver claims the film's screenwriter, Mark Boal, was embedded in Sarver's unit and that the information he gathered was used in the film. The film is nominated for nine Academy Awards, including best original screenplay.

The movie's U.S. distributor, Summit Entertainment, says it "distributed the film based on a fictional screenplay" and hopes "for a quick resolution to the claims made by Master Sgt. Sarver."

explosive ordnance disposal is not a nice job
as far as the movie goes ....bogus
as for my mil qualifications pvt msg me
be prepared to examine my uer up close and
and personal (if you willing to make a trip to bc)
and if your in the sunny okanagan your call
im in vernon 
regards,,,
          scoty b

I have to wonder what part of the movie this M/Sgt Sarver claims is based on him, I suppose for the movie producers it doesn't do them any real harm to settle with him, since doing so would indirectly give the movie the appearance of "street cred".

Yet I think Sarver's lawyer is going to have a tough time explaining just how realistically they might have portrayed Saver or any other EOD team...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOw8G3T4vsQ

I don't have any military experience, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I didn't have much interest in the movie, but I decided to give it a chance because a good friend of mine kept hyping it. I was pretty disappointed. I thought it was going to be an honest look at the people who disarm bombs, and instead it felt kind of Hollywood to me. One part in particular: Buddy finds the kid dead and thinks the vendor that was with the kid is suspicious. So he decides to leave the base and follow this vendor. He then breaks into a house, and holds a guy at gunpoint. Then he freaks out, leaves, runs through Baghdad, and back to the base. After that I hard a difficult time getting into the movie. It just seemed to spiral out of control after that.

It had a couple funny parts (like when the guy was about to set off the bomb, but realized he'd forgotten his cloves), but other than that I didn't enjoy it.

Overwatch Downunder said:
Its just a movie and quite frankly far (very far) from reality.

I finally got a copy of the film, ready to watch it this weekend, and then I read this, along with other comments about 'Int snipers'.  Im seriously disappointed in how good it was supposed to be...

Nothing at all to do with the movie, but the actor, Jeremy Renner, visited a minefield near Bagram recently.

Article Link

Afghanistan - Better known for defusing bombs in Iraq in the Oscar-winning film "The Hurt Locker," actor Jeremy Renner braved a live minefield in Afghanistan on Sunday to draw attention to the tireless work of clearing mines that kill and maim years after being buried.

Despite years of effort to dig up mines planted during decades of civil war and Soviet occupation, more than 650 square kilometers (250 sq mile) of Afghan territory are still considered active minefields.

While 2009 saw a significant drop in numbers, thousands of Afghans have been killed or injured by mines or explosive war remnants over the past 30 years with many losing limbs or suffering serious scarring.

To emphasize the scale of the problem, 39-year-old Renner teamed up with the United Nations in Afghanistan this week, visiting an Afghan de-mining team north of the capital Kabul.

"It's tremendous," he told Reuters during his visit to a minefield in Bagram, about 100 km (60 miles) north of Kabul.

"Seeing the guys firsthand is a wonderful gift for me," he said. "I don't think there are many guys in my position -- I'm just a silly actor -- that get an opportunity to come out to Afghanistan at a time of war and get to experience this."

Abdul Latif, a bearded veteran who has worked as a de-miner for 16 years, waved his metal detector slowly across the ground, demonstrating the task to Renner. Renner asked through an interpreter whether he gets a sense of pride from the job.

"I do it because I love my country," the Afghan replied.

Renner said he had decided to visit Afghanistan because he wanted to see the tangible work being done.

"The possibilities are what I'm so attracted to here. The possibilities are endless for the communities and I think they deserve it," he said.

More at link

It was an entertaining movie but not exactly what i was expecting for.  There is some confusing scene there when they chanced upon at some special units at the middle of a desert.  Im not in a military and i didn't know if its really possible for a regular unit to take over the sniping job when the special unit's main sniper got shot.  The thing is the movie itself didn't give any details if the main character also knows how to be a sniper's spotter, and his buddy who took over that sniper gun, didn't have any idea if he is actually a trained DM as well.

If your getting shot at by the enemy are you just going to stand there and wait for death to come or are you going to try something... he's surely not qualified as a sniper but a gun is a gun and they mostly work on the same basic principles.

spear and KrazyHamburglar, you may wish to read the previous three pages to better understand the BS involved in that scene.

It's not a matter of "I fired my C7 in basic, and the physics are the same for a Barrett .50, therefore...."

Journeyman said:
spear and KrazyHamburglar, you may wish to read the previous three pages to better understand the BS involved in that scene.

It's not a matter of "I fired my C7 in basic, and the physics are the same for a Barrett .50, therefore...."

Yep too much BS indeed, especially that scene when he went alone the beehive.  I knew it was supposed to be the british SAS who got pinned down by enemy snipers (they looked so dumb in that movie).

Who gives a crap of what the hell you flippen guys say about the film. I'm sure it wasn't meant to
impress some overly trained, sharp shooting hard nerved bomb tootin ranger, who jumps into mine fields just because the wind is less than eight knots on a moonless night.
Your missing the whole idea of what the film is supposed to protray. Like all war films, they are not
true representations of what the hell really goes on in war ravished areas. And they never will be.
It does however offer a certain focus, and a general idea for alot of people who would like to know
as to what our soldiers are somewhat dealing with. And I think that is what is important.......no ?
Did you notice any Gun Tape ?  ;D

57Chevy said:
It does however offer a certain focus, and a general idea for alot of people who would like to know
as to what our soldiers are somewhat dealing with.
Ah, so you support the movie's premise that combat-experienced soldiers become psychotic war-lovers whose only glimmer of contentment and fulfillment lies in suicidal behaviour back in a war-zone. Got it.

That's a hell of a stigma to have to carry.

Fortunately, no one else I've spoken with thought of the movie as a documentary....so there's still sharp objects around the house  ;)

Well to be fair JM there are a lot of people who when returning home say they would rather be back in the Afghanistan then here in Canada, there is certainly a missing of the Adrenaline rush and of course the lack of garrison BS to deal with.

All that being said I have never not once on any tour seen a mutiple tour vet doing anything near as suicidal or even remotely suicidal as those actions in the movie..... Thank F..K!

Any EOD guy that split from the programme like in the movie, even once, would find himself back home and facing a metric butt load of doodoo before he knew what hit him.

I should freaking hope so LMAO!!!!

Some of it is obviously Hollywood thrill right and some of it is close to actuality, sadly though I found to much Hollywood and not enough actual. I think  BHD was as close as it gets for more real then Hollywood but that is just me.

Perhaps we need a thread were those with recent operational experience can provide recommendations for shows, documentaries and even movies that do present more realistic presentations. Cal it a modern guide for newbies to ward off a new crop of those joining to seek the experiences of "The Hurt Locker" as a generation before others may have equally been mistaken in joining and expecting "Apocalypse Now."

Think about it, put together a few notes, and start a new thread when and where appropriate.

I can just imagine the shit storm you'd walk into if you grabbed a spider web of det cord and started reefing n it.

BulletMagnet said:
....I think  BHD was as close as it gets for more real ......
Especially the end when the fighting is done, and the UN shows up bringing out glasses of water  >:D

Journeyman said:
I enjoyed it as well

Quite the stigma....I see you enjoyed it as well.......... That's what cinema is. And I'm sure the general public realizes that, wouldn't you say ?

57Chevy said:
Quite the stigma....I see you enjoyed it as well.......... That's what cinema is. And I'm sure the general public realizes that, wouldn't you say ?
So what's it going to be, entertaining cinema or a guide to general public understanding of what our soldiers are "dealing with"?

As I've said, yes I enjoyed it as mindless entertainment and mocked it's shortcomings.

You, however, are the one trying to say the critiques of its flaws are unwarranted, since it informs the sheeple.

Echoing Mike O'Leary's post, hopefully people don't take this as an indicator of what operations are like.

Back