• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
muffin said:
True they don't have to be locked up here - but I have two young kids... so they always are

Teach them responsible firearms safety from the get go. I lived in the city, 8 kids and my 2 parents. The family guns leaned against the dining room wall, the ammo in the dresser drawer, my whole life. No problems, no accidents. Everyone in the house was a shooter and respected the rules.

Mike Baker said:
Well, I am all for guns and such, but they do get into the wrong hands. Now, if there were better ways for people to buy a weapon i.e. better background checks and such, then things would not be as bad. Also, it should be mandatory for everyone who purchases a firearm to take a course to learn how to store weapons safe, so no one can get their hands on them if need be.

The background checks are apparently very thorough. I have heard from one person that has gone through it that even your neighbors are called and asked if they feel comfortable with you owning a firearm (I am not sure if this actually happens.) A test is already required to get a firearms license, and I believe that there is a section on storage in it. There are always ways to improve though.

I'm ambivalent. Having lived in Toronto fewer guns would be very nice.

But I also lived for years in rural areas. I can't see any use to all the gun laws there. Farm guns are one of the least dangerous things on a farm. Unless its winter and you get a head full of bad thoughts or marital infidelity and liquor are combined.

BYT Driver said:
Sorry RC, this link it to the sign in page...no poll.
Mike, I think there are proper rules and regs in place...IIRC, the FAC...for GOOD-law abiding citizens...bads guys will always find a way..that's whats happened already ??!!??
:'(

Should take you right there if you're a signed on Facebook member.

Aaah, so there's an underlying ploy to get us to join facebook...LOL    ;D
Needless to say, I'm for Gun control in the sense of putting guns in control of the right people.

"My idea of 'gun control' is putting as many bullets as I can into the same hole."

-Ted Nugent-

fullmetalparka said:
The background checks are apparently very thorough. I have heard from one person that has gone through it that even your neighbors are called and asked if they feel comfortable with you owning a firearm (I am not sure if this actually happens.) A test is already required to get a firearms license, and I believe that there is a section on storage in it. There are always ways to improve though.
Heck that is thorough. Yeah I mean that there can me so much more taught, and it should be.

recceguy said:
"My idea of 'gun control' is putting as many bullets as I can into the same hole."

-Ted Nugent-
:rofl:

I have no problem with gun control.

From the prone, with the correct breathing, and trigger manipulation, I have no problem controlling my rifle, usually getting a good group, the last one was 69mm @ 100m, on 09 Dec, and thats with an issue F88SA1C carbine, using generic 5.56mm F1 ball, from the prone unsupported.

:)

Wes

fullmetalparka said:

You're just scratching the surface. If you had to answer the same questions on a job application as a firearms license (PAL) application, you'd be able to sue the employer for human rights violations. I've also had some pretty good security clearances, but have never had anyone call my references and ask the highly personal and invasive questions the CFO & CFC have asked my friends and neighbors, so I could keep a firearm.

muffin said:
You'd have to keep it so locked up you'd never get to it in time in that situation. I have guns here and by the time i got them unlocked and loaded... they'd have me for sure.

I can reach my gun safe, open it, and have a firearm loaded and readied in about 5 seconds. Unless my house was being broken into by ninjas I think I'd have a pretty good chance getting it in time ;)

recceguy said:
Just vote your conscience. We know it's ABC and a US poll, but if they lose their second amendment rights, it'll domino through the whole worldwide firearms community.

I suspect that I'm commenting in the wrong thread and with the wrong tone, but how will the ammendment to an ammendment of an American constitutional right domino through the "whole worldwide firearms community?"

My only problem with gun control is that I can't play with the cool toys you guys get too.  :(

With my 12 gauge I can get a pretty good grouping with one shot! (SSG load preferred.)
But I would never use such a weapon in the house..........

For self defense I have a rapier and a baseball bat under the bed,
a large Asian knife, a hunting knife in the office, a Bow with arrows
in the basement, a whole garage full of unsafe power tools .......
and I must say - a bad temper.

Better to not add firearms to the mix in my case I guess.

Personally I think Canadian firearm laws are too conservative and
American laws (by and large) too liberal.

Shamrock said:
I suspect that I'm commenting in the wrong thread and with the wrong tone, but how will the ammendment to an ammendment of an American constitutional right domino through the "whole worldwide firearms community?"

You are obviously ignorant of the discussion. Research 'The right to keep and bear arms', what it means, and how it's applied. If you can't understand how the loss of one of the Constitutional rights of the US, would affect everyone else, you're living in a bubble.

recceguy said:
You are obviously ignorant of the discussion. Research 'The right to keep and bear arms', what it means, and how it's applied. If you can't understand how the loss of one of the Constitutional rights of the US, would affect everyone else, you're living in a bubble.

Perhaps it affects North America.  But I think saying it affects the entire world is slightly hyperbolic.

Shamrock said:
Perhaps it affects North America.  But I think saying it affects the entire world is slightly hyperbolic.

Ask the population of Britain and Australia.

If anyone thinks gun control in our country works, they need to visit certain areas, and talk to certain individuals- Cause there's plenty of weps and ammo for the bad guys in our cities...

And the citizens of Japan, South Africa, India, Brazil?  Russia?

It's hyperbole like that --from either side of the argument-- that make fence sitters like me gravitate away from whatever the tinfoil hat wearing, freedom bleating leaders have to say.  Treat us like idiots, be overtly and covertly hostile towards us, skip any form of intelligent conversation and go right for arguments ad hominem, you're damn tooting we'll going to disregard whatever you have to say, even if it meshes with our own perspectives.

I don't believe in following behind the Americans like a lovestruck puppy.  Certainly, elements of our society are reflective of theirs, and certainly we owe some of our liberties to them, but to say that because of their constitutional ammendments our future is a foregone conclusion is idiotic.  There are those who would use an abolition of the 2nd ammendment here in Canada to further villify weapons.  However, I think enough Canadians have their heads far enough out of their asses to form adult opinions of firearms and firearm control -- that is, I think enough Canadians know we're Canadian, not American.  They can change their laws all they want, we don't have to follow.  America does not hold nearly enough sway in the world to change any other nation's laws.  The Sonny Bono act proved that -- and IP laws are worth a whole lot more money, and draw a whole lot more attention, than gun control laws. 

A rewrite of the 2nd ammendment could create a global supply and distribution problem.  I don't know enough about economics to comment on how this would affect American or global economies or the microeconomy of the firearms world.  I doubt this would cause much grief for individual foreign collector as the patents, licenses, and other IP would likely be picked up elsewhere quickly.  Given the professional demand for firearms in the US, I doubt the bottom would fall out of their economy too fast.

I don't believe for an instant America is considering changing even the font face of the 2nd ammendment.  Firearms are a deeply ingrained part of their culture.  Even if popular support demanded it, reconsidering the 2nd ammendment would create a beaucratic nightmare at various levels -- how would the American government deal with its sudden conflict with its various private military contractors?  If anything, these organizations highlight the relevance of the second ammendment in the face of modern conflict.

I do not think Canada has the same cultural ties to firearms as Americans.  I'm not denying we have a large population of owners, collectors, and enjoyers of firearms here.  If anything, I think our collectors, as collectors worldwide, are doing an enormous good to the preservation of world history and our government's requirement to deactivate certain weapons is tragic.  Mot important to my perspective is that there are several communities who require firearms for sustenance.  I was raised in one such community -- in my house, we did not have a firearm for defence, we required it for the less noble task of eating meat during the winter.  These community hunts were a very important part of our tiny little society and not just for food.  A weapons prohibition would not cause starvation (although the cost of most shipped-in goods is itself prohibitive), but it would strangle an important part of those communities.  A tradition thousands of years old, slightly modified only through technology, would cease to exist here.

This is what I take umbrage at: the constant looking south for validation.  I really don't care if the Americans want to outlaw everything.  I don't feel the need to play cultural little brother to America.  We're our own nation with our own practices, our own laws, and our own ideals.  Time to belly up and assert our cultural identity by not following (or fearing we'll inevitably follow) everything America does.

Considering Australia has copycatted some of the Cdn laws, and twisted them around, for the US to lead the way in gun control would mean the end of legal guns in Australia for sure, so it would be a global thing. Ya, Canada too would be smashed, and when the dust cleared, the criminals would be just as well armed, as the police would be, but the honest guy would pay the price.

I hope the public who vote in the US, keep Hilary and that plastic faced Obama out of the White House. He reminds me of a 1960's vintage Ken doll, which my sister used to have. Butter would not melt in his mouth, and Hilary's shit would not stink! They are both so fake, it sickens me to tears.

I am hoping for a Rudy/McCain ticket. That would be good for the country. Ole Hillary does not know if she is Arthur or Martha, and all she spews out is political doublespeak. Both are a waste of rations, but if the Dmes get in, the gunwoners will be smashed for sure. That will trickle into the free western world at large as an excusse to do a big gun grab, and that single shot Cooey which was your grandfather's will be going off to smelt.

So if you own a handgun, or a hunting rifle, or assault rilfe etc, you better stand shoulder to shoulder, because they are after all guns.

Shamrock said:
And the citizens of Japan, South Africa, India, Brazil?  Russia?
Hey Shammers,

Japan, you can't own guns, not even hold a bayonet. India the same. Russia has strict restrictions, adn places like Malaysia and Singapore, even being in possesion of a single bullet is a death sentance, and I am not kidding.

I don't know about Brazil, but South Africa has limitations on how many guns you can own. I think its four, not certain. It is restricted that is certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back