• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Inf-6 , I am by no means on top of the subject (as much as you guys are) I just lumped all "long barrels together" So thanks, for the info!
So you are saying that we should have to register all guns? Wow thats a different approach then most! I agree with you that a registered gun prob won't be used to harm anyone, but the problem is that any yahoo who is going to use said gun prob isin't going to register it!
As for the concealed guns, I just don't see the need for it, this is only my view so if you don't agree with it, too bad!

as for rw4th, ....can you show any suppoting arguments to change my mind? I assume you will say something like well "what if....." and you are right, common sense is a good thing, and my common sense tells me that I don't need a concealed weapon, and neither does joe public!

Rowshambow said:
as for rw4th, ....can you show any suppoting arguments to change my mind? I assume you will say something like well "what if....." and you are right, common sense is a good thing, and my common sense tells me that I don't need a concealed weapon, and neither does joe public!

You're the one who is supporting a restriction on personal freedom whether it's required or not, therefore you are the one who needs to justify his point of vue. Is your opinion and your "common sense" coming from informed rational thought or is it the byproduct of liberal group-think?

My opinion is that if someone wants to legally carry a concealed handgun they should be allowed to do so. So far I have been unable to dig up any relevant facts or statistics that would justify an opinion to the contrary. Can you prove me wrong?

See this the wonders of a liberal democracy -- we don't need to provide facts to do things -- one needs to show reasons why we can't
   *edit unless its about guns then rights in a liberal society dont count...

I'm not for gun registration at all, (and I dont know you gathered that I was) I feel that will rights come responsibilties - and part of that is taking training to be safe with a firearm. 

Canada used to be a lot more lax that the US with gun laws -- in 1935 we registered Machine guns and pistols, outlawed suppressors.  Jan 1 1979 (announced in 78 but not enacted till 79) Canada enacted a huge bloat of new gun laws - the FAC system to buy firearms (but not to own), Select Fire weapons where grandfathered - no new ones, and no new owners. 
  In part there was some beleif it was knee jerk to the 70's FLQ Crisis - but that is not realistic - just another example of the politicans removing people's rights via fear mongering and w/o logic.

The 1994 gun laws where an utter knee jerk to the Oka Crisis and Outlaw Native Gangs, - once again a criminal element that was not affected the least by the guns laws - but many law abiding citizens lost collections, and had their remaining legal guns devalued "over night".

Recent shifts have been drivby CFC etc to "interpret" the law and this not allow for otherwise legal firearms to be taken to the range (great paperweights...)

Politicians capitalize on human ignorance and the fear peope have of the unknown -- add in the hollywood mystique and some can see no sporting use or other legitimate use for firearms.
   These same type of people also tend to blame inanimate object for the actions of people, and lobby to reduce prison sentences and other means of punishments for those who commit crimes.

Quite frankly one just has to look to the violence in other parts of the world and see that compilations of laws do not do any good.

If we have a law against murder -- do you think someone will care they are using an illegal weapon to do it?

Inf -6 I gathered you were for gun registration because the post you had about the registered machine gun, so I took that as you being pro registry, as that was a main focus of the story.

I am so not liberal! but I do find it funny that if I disagree with your points of view (rw4th) that I must be! That is just silly, not everyone who is Cons, NDP, whatever has to have the same thought process as you, or believe in the same things. I asked a valid question, asking for more reasons to have a CCW law, and you come back with drivel, no facts at all! As for me having to justify my view, well you don't want to hear what I have to say, because I have a different view than you, but I am asking again try to change my mind, I am open to debate! Who knows, if you come up with a logical thought out opinion, you might just change mine! As I said before, I love shooting, I would love to own a pistol, I just don't have the time or patience to jump through all the hoops!
Also (just for debate purposes) 1 reason I wouldn't want a concealed weapon around is because I have kids, I would be mortified if 1 of them somehow got a hold of my weapon and shot themselves, and don't say  it doesn't happen, as kids around the world have gotten a hold of weapons (even locked ones) and have shot themselves!

I suspect that I-6 is not in favour of the gun registry. A review of the number of guns existing prior to the registry and calculating the number imported and exported, shows that the compliance rate is dismal. The Liberals had to fudge the figures to claim any success, the RCMP also wrote a letter to the government that they had concerns about the figures being used by the government were unreliable.

While there are some NDP, Green and Liberal gun owners, these parties have either stated they are opposed to most forms of gun ownership and that the Liberals under Martin made it clear they wanted to ban handguns. It would be nice that firearm ownership was not a politically issue, but it is and if owning a firearm is important to you, then you must decide how important it is and how that will effect your vote, it certainly affects mine.

As for registered guns and their owners committing homicides, the figures are approx 2% of the total homicides for the last decade (Statscan)

If you don’t want to CCW, fine don’t. But why endanger other people by suppressing their rights out of a perceived fear, one which is not supported by facts. Have you actually looked at the real stats out of the US for CCW owners?

Approx 2.5 million crimes interrupted by private citizens every year (FBI)

Less than 1% of CCW holders in Florida charged with any firearm offences in either the last 18 years or existence of the license (can’t be sure of which timeframe or it might be the same)

Good post Colin P!  I especially like your opinion on CCW, if you want to carry concealed then do so, if not then you don't have to.  Best to have the carrying option availiable though, even if you don't feel like carrying concealed today, your situation may change drastically tomorrow! 

"As I said before, I love shooting, I would love to own a pistol, I just don't have the time or patience to jump through all the hoops!"

- That is one of the purposes of our present system: It is designed to 'discourage through inconvenience' civilian firearms ownership in Canada.

Infidel-6 said:
  ( .... ) The 1994 gun laws where an utter knee jerk to the Oka Crisis and Outlaw Native Gangs, - once again a criminal element that was not affected the least by the guns laws - but many law abiding citizens lost collections, and had their remaining legal guns devalued "over night". 

How much do you figure the more recent pressure is due to the urban-rural split in voters/"people polled" (my read from Stats Can is roughly 60% urban-40% rural)?

Infidel-6 said:
Quite frankly one just has to look to the violence in other parts of the world and see that compilations of laws do not do any good.

Even in Switzerland, for example (hope this isn't too much of a hijack - just sharing to provide more grist for the mill) - shared with the usual disclaimer (highlights mine)...

Swiss Army Gun Victims Push Referendum, Even After Bullet Vote
Antonio Ligi, Bloomberg wire service, 28 Sept 07
Article link

Tanja Vollenweider and her family had just built a house near Zurich when her husband lost his job at an insurance company. Two weeks later, the militia officer took his army-issued pistol into the forest and killed himself.

``It was Friday, we had had guests at home,'' Vollenweider, 35, said at her home in Daellikon. ``My daughter saw him leaving with the weapon. She woke me up. We heard the shots.''

Four and a half years later, Vollenweider and other gun control advocates yesterday won a victory when the lower house of parliament voted to bar Switzerland's citizen soldiers from keeping ammunition at home. Their next goal is a national referendum on stricter gun laws.

The husband of former alpine skier Corinne Rey-Bellet killed the winner of five World Cup races with his army weapon last year, fueling demands for tighter gun control. Much of the debate has focused on military weapons because Switzerland's militia- based army requires soldiers to keep their guns at home.

While lawmakers yesterday voted to rescind a World War II- era law that forced soldiers to keep 50 rounds of ammunition at home, they rejected a proposal to have militia members turn in their weapons.

``The militia concept and personal responsibility are among the foundations of our country,'' Defense Minister Samuel Schmid said. ``If a state considers it necessary to take responsibility away from its citizens and doesn't trust them to handle a personal gun responsibly, it ultimately weakens itself.''

In addition to military weapons, Switzerland has the fourth- highest rate of civilian gun ownership after the U.S., Yemen and Finland, according to the Small Arms Survey, a Geneva-based research project sponsored by countries including the U.K., Canada and Switzerland.

`About the Victims'

Switzerland recorded an average of 1,428 suicides every year from 1969 to 2000, according to government statistics. Some 343 of those, or 24 percent, involved guns.

Martin Killias, a criminology professor at the University of Zurich, estimates that about 260 people kill themselves using army weapons each year, and another 20 are murdered.

While the Swiss homicide rate is relatively low, at 12 per 1 million inhabitants compared with 56 in the U.S., the number of killings by family members is high, Killias said. Domestic violence deaths amount to 5.5 per million versus 7.9 in the U.S. and 4.3 in the Netherlands, according to Killias's study.

``It's about the victims,'' Chantal Gallade, 34, a Social Democratic lawmaker whose father killed himself with an army gun, said in the capital, Bern. ``There are too many, and every killing that you can avoid is worth it.''

William Tell

Pro Tell, a gun supporters' organization, says there is no direct link between killings and army guns. Pro Tell is named after William Tell, the legendary Swiss hero who is said to have shot an apple off his son's head after being arrested by an Austrian governor.

``Whoever snaps would do it anyway,'' said Jack Balmer, 34, a postal worker and corporal in the militia. ``They will use a hammer if they can't use their rifle.''

Switzerland's gun laws are partly the result of a militia tradition, dating back to the 17th century, which created a ``myth that only a rifleman is a citizen,'' said Rudolf Jaun, a professor of military history at the ETH Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich.

Even today, the army consists mostly of militia. Most men undergo military training when they are about 20, after which they serve in the militia. When their service has ended, militiamen may buy their personal weapons.

Rouven Howald, a financial controller, has no plans to keep his rifle.

``I am personally all in favor of having weapons at the army barracks,'' said Howald, 34. ``I just have one at home because I am required to do so.''

Fight Continues

Aaron Karp, co-author of the 2007 Small Arms Survey and a professor of political science at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, said he didn't know of any other country that ``routinely'' lets soldiers take guns and ammunition home.

Switzerland introduced its first unified gun ownership law in 1999. It has since agreed to tighten the rules as part of an accord with its European neighbors to do away with border controls. The changes, which have yet to take effect, will require all gun buyers to have permits and impose penalties on illegal gun ownership for the first time.

Tanja Vollenweider says she will continue to fight for rules that require military weapons to be stored at army barracks, and oblige all other weapons to be registered.

Such rules may have saved her husband's life, said Vollenweider, who found out at the funeral that he was about to be offered another job.

``If that night the weapon wasn't around, he would have had to find one,'' she said. ``But three days later the situation would have been different. Three days later he would have had another job offer.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Antonio Ligi in Zurich at aligi@bloomberg.net

milnewstbay said:
Such rules may have saved her husband's life, said Vollenweider, who found out at the funeral that he was about to be offered another job.

``If that night the weapon wasn't around, he would have had to find one,'' she said. ``But three days later the situation would have been different. Three days later he would have had another job offer.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Antonio Ligi in Zurich at aligi@bloomberg.net

Interesting article -- I think this shows, as I have found that the majority of the anti-gun crowd really like to blame the inanimate object.

I got a kick of them quoting (as I think you did the highlight) a postal workere about "snapping"  -- when people go postal the gun did not make them do it.

I've never shot anyone that did not need to be shot, my guns dont just jump up and say "hey Kev - light that guy up for fun, I'm dusty and need love"
*I promise if they do start talking to me I will seek help.

Rowshambow said:
Inf -6 I gathered you were for gun registration because the post you had about the registered machine gun, so I took that as you being pro registry, as that was a main focus of the story.

I was trying to offer a history lesson abotu gun laws - and dispell some erroneous views that people in the US can run around with machine guns (and the price is nutz - I bought a pre86 transferable M16A2 - it cost me more than $19,500, now I'd think anyone who is spending money like that on 1 firearm is not going to run around using it to jack 7-11's)

I am so not liberal! but I do find it funny that if I disagree with your points of view (rw4th) that I must be! That is just silly, not everyone who is Cons, NDP, whatever has to have the same thought process as you, or believe in the same things. I asked a valid question, asking for more reasons to have a CCW law, and you come back with drivel, no facts at all! As for me having to justify my view, well you don't want to hear what I have to say, because I have a different view than you, but I am asking again try to change my mind, I am open to debate! Who knows, if you come up with a logical thought out opinion, you might just change mine! As I said before, I love shooting, I would love to own a pistol, I just don't have the time or patience to jump through all the hoops!
Resricted PAL - take the course, get the lic, join a range, and buy a gun -- Really in some provinces its straightforward - in others you'd swear they where a different country where guns where outlawede since they fight you at every turn)
Also (just for debate purposes) 1 reason I wouldn't want a concealed weapon around is because I have kids, I would be mortified if 1 of them somehow got a hold of my weapon and shot themselves, and don't say  it doesn't happen, as kids around the world have gotten a hold of weapons (even locked ones) and have shot themselves!
  I have a son - who is 9, he shot a suppressed C8 for his 4th B-Day  ;D
He has a rifle (.22 single shot bolt action Henry Arms) that he shots under my supervision.
  All my  firearms are locked in a safe when not in use.  I have a nightstand fingerprint safe for my home defence weapons.

In areas where I do CCW (not Canada - I dont have enough BlackMail material on the Solicitor general to get a permit) the pistol rides in a holster - perfectly safe - I remove it for cleaning or for use.  In Iraq I have it on my nighttable when I got to sleep - the same in Fla.

Rowshambow said:
InI asked a valid question, asking for more reasons to have a CCW law, and you come back with drivel, no facts at all! As for me having to justify my view, well you don't want to hear what I have to say, because I have a different view than you, but I am asking again try to change my mind, I am open to debate! Who knows, if you come up with a logical thought out opinion, you might just change mine!

Ok let me try this again. My argument is simple: there are no facts that support a ban on legal concealed carry, period.

One of the things you don’t seem to understand is this: people should not need to justify their reasons when exercising their personal freedom. The burden of justification lies with those who seek to restrain those freedoms.

For example: if I want to wear a red cotton shirt, I should be able to go out and buy one and wear it whenever I please without justifying myself to anybody. If you don’t think I should be allowed to own red cotton shirts, much less wear them in public then the onus is on you to provide a good reason to restrain my freedom. This is how most laws and regulations come to be, but this has unfortunately not been the case with firearms laws. Firearms are of course more dangerous then cotton shirts so while some regulation is justified, the burden of proof to support current laws, including the prohibition on concealed carry, has NOT been met. They are a by product of emotional decision making pandering to an uninformed public.

Put another way, since this is a free country, if I want something, I should not have to justify myself to anybody. However if you think that I should not be allowed to have it, then it’s up to you to provide proof to support the restraining of my freedom. A good example of the positive application of this principle would be something like say crystal meth. The destructive effect it has on society is clear to everybody and completely justifies the restraining of people’s freedom by prohibiting it manufacture, sale, and ownership.

So back to concealed carry: you are the one who seem to have issues with it and I have been trying to get you to outline those issues so they can be addressed directly, but you seem reluctant to do so and I suspect it’s because your position is more emotional then rational.

I love shooting, I would love to own a pistol, I just don't have the time or patience to jump through all the hoops!

The hoops are a few forms you need to fill out and a 1 day course you have to take. It’s harder to get a driver’s license and the worst part of the process is the waiting.

Also (just for debate purposes) 1 reason I wouldn't want a concealed weapon around is because I have kids, I would be mortified if 1 of them somehow got a hold of my weapon and shot themselves, and don't say it doesn't happen, as kids around the world have gotten a hold of weapons (even locked ones) and have shot themselves!

This is a non issue with regards to concealed carry since the weapon in on you. It could be considered a general firearms ownership issue, but you have to separate the facts from the fiction. The anti-gun lobby loves painting guns as “death traps” just waiting for your children to find them and kill themselves or their friends. The reality though is different: your kid is more likely to drown in your swimming pool then accidentally shoot himself with your firearm. Educate your kids, show them how to handle and respect a firearm and make sure you properly store them and it quickly becomes a non-issue.

Anything else?

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Section 7 - Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

I have a right to self defence and security of my person (and my family), and therefore should be entitled to use the tools and means to effect that defence, without prejudice. If we are not allowed to use that self defence and security clause, the Charter is a sham. You cannot prosecute one part of the CCRF while upholding other parts. Selective interpretation is not allowed.

Infidel-6 said:
Lesson Learned -- the Charter is a sham.

Quiet .. or the black helicopters will come and get you. Well, maybe not the helicopters since we had to cannibalize half of them for parts and can't afford to put fuel in the rest. Nowadays the Canadian NWO agents ride around on black tricycle, so beware the black tricycles coming to get you !

If you call them "Stealth" tricycles in your submission to the RFP, you get to ask more $ per copy!

recceguy said:
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Section 7 - Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

I have a right to self defence and security of my person (and my family), and therefore should be entitled to use the tools and means to effect that defence, without prejudice. If we are not allowed to use that self defence and security clause, the Charter is a sham. You cannot prosecute one part of the CCRF while upholding other parts. Selective interpretation is not allowed.

On paper yes.  But our laws punish those who defend them selves (even with the equal or lesser force force actions)

NL_engineer said:
On paper yes.  But our laws punish those who defend them selves (even with the equal or lesser force force actions)

You're not getting an argument from me on that point. I agree with CCW, or ATT 3, whichever you prefer to call it.

The state should never have the monopoly on force. I would think the reasons are obvious.

NL_engineer said:

- In Canada, the law in AUTHENTIC self-defence cases most often sides with the person claiming self defence.  The cases that get the most attention, however, are the most out-to-lunch ones.  A cop killer in Toronto claimed that he shot the police officer in self defence.  Our traditions of self defence are so integral to our Common Law, that it took a court case to defeat that defence.

- Note that running out into the street and shooting at the thief running away from your freshly robbed store usually does not constitute self defence. 

- Provincial police acts actually serve to limit the charter rights of police officers in many cases.  So when a police officer tells you that you should never do something, he may in fact be alluding to the limitations he is placed under as a police officer.  Your options as a citizen defending yourself - in your own home, for example - may not be so limited as you are led to believe. 

- If you want to know about police procedure - ask a police officer.  If you want to know about the law - ask a lawyer. 

- I am niether, so naturally my above opinion is just that - my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back