• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

All you handgun guys should take your guns on a nice peaceful day of canoeing on a really deep lake, and soon.

I’ve made a comment a few times that people might want to start thinking about archery for sport and hunting…I have a 40yd range at the back of my property. Few foam targets, a 3D buck. Can’t see it from the road, no one even knows if I’m on it. I bought a single cam to start; I can tune it all myself at home.

IMG_6472.jpeg

I’m eyeing Excaliber crossbows now…

I’ve made a comment a few times that people might want to start thinking about archery for sport and hunting…I have a 40yd range at the back of my property. Few foam targets, a 3D buck. Can’t see it from the road, no one even knows if I’m on it. I bought a single cam to start; I can tune it all myself at home.

View attachment 77659

Four recurves, two compounds, and a crossbow here. Don’t get the practice time I should as I’m away working in the nice weather, but I generally hit what I’m pointing at. I’m a fan.

View attachment 77659

You're absolutely right.

I'm just not interested in archery. I wish I was...

Question for the legal eagles.

Can a provincial Chief Firearms Office make up their own legislation? Or Rules ?
To an extent, yes. For example, the ON CFO requires that all steel targets be shrouded with wood. QC CFO requires every handgun owner to complete the Law 9 (Anastasia's Law) training and join a shooting range before being issued an ATT.
My understanding was they simply existed to administer the federal laws and legislation surrounding firearms.
In a nutshell, yes, as firearms laws are federal laws. However, they have some latitude to impose provincial requirements. A few years back the QC CFO proposed banning IPSC under CCC S. 70 (1) (a) (iii). The other CFOs didn't support it.

To an extent, yes. For example, the ON CFO requires that all steel targets be shrouded with wood. QC CFO requires every handgun owner to complete the Law 9 (Anastasia's Law) training and join a shooting range before being issued an ATT.

In a nutshell, yes, as firearms laws are federal laws. However, they have some latitude to impose provincial requirements. A few years back the QC CFO proposed banning IPSC under CCC S. 70 (1) (a) (iii). The other CFOs didn't support it.

Ok. So they can add on provincial rules, like gun range standards, or Quebec's registry for example. But they can't make up new Firearms legislation.

Say the NS CFO wanted to ban manual action rifles, they can't because that's federal jurisdiction ?

Just an example I made up don't get excited lol

The CFOs enforce the laws, and they have some latitude on how they choose to enforce it.

One can be stricter on conditions, another can be less strict as long as all are operating within the limits of the laws. The NS CFO got in trouble for trying to shut down a range years ago because they didn’t like the set up but weren’t ultimately allowed when taken to court as it was outside their jurisdiction.

Ok. So they can add on provincial rules, like gun range standards, or Quebec's registry for example. But they can't make up new Firearms legislation.

Say the NS CFO wanted to ban manual action rifles, they can't because that's federal jurisdiction ?

Just an example I made up don't get excited lol
They influence the how of the enforcement to an extent. Set priorities etc

They can’t say they are ignoring federal law but they can choose how they prioritize and enforce it.

It can be quite substantial. From what I was informed when the feds were training their provincial replacements

They influence the how of the enforcement to an extent. Set priorities etc

They can’t say they are ignoring federal law but they can choose how they prioritize and enforce it.

It can be quite substantial. From what I was informed when the feds were training their provincial replacements
Provinces own property law if I am not mistaken.
So one at least in theory could setup a situation where they could effectively disrespect/disregard Federal Firearms Laws.

I know this was discussed in Alberta when I lived there in the late 90’s.

So one at least in theory could setup a situation where they could effectively disrespect/disregard Federal Firearms Laws.

That is, in part, what happened during the recent court case against the May 2020 OIC. Alberta took the feds to court, along with several other parties in a joint suit.

If I remember correctly though, the Supreme Court found in favour of the Feds. Something about the public safety nature of the firearms registry, or something like that.

Like in Ontario, there's no need to belong to a club to own pistols or require a PAL for body armour. Unlike a lot of provinces that do.

WTF does any average citizen need to own body armour? :rolleyes: Should only be for police (and possibly, registered security personnel).

WTF does any average citizen need to own body armour? :rolleyes: Should only be for police (and possibly, registered security personnel).
Lots of people shoot three gun competitions they wear vests. If your at a private range and the Police are there training, I would highly recommend wearing a vest. :cautious: I see no problem for a law abiding citizen to own body armor, the same as I don't see any issues with a law abiding citizen owing legally acquired firearms.

Our dept. did not mandate them, except for ETF and RTF .

Protective Vests:
Prior to the initial submission of the Capital Works Program protective vests for paramedics had been considered for inclusion, however, following discussion with the Ambulance Services' Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee, the decision was made to defer this item to allow for further research to be conducted. The preliminary cost for outfitting all paramedics was approximately $500,000.00 not including replacement costs due to attrition. Initial research indicated that the protective vests have a functional life span of approximately 5 years and, based on developments occurring in other jurisdictions the Joint Health & Safety Committee felt it appropriate to defer this item in order to gather additional information. In the interim, the Ambulance Division has reissued on-scene safety protocols for its paramedics and should the Health & Safety Committee recommend that paramedics receive this equipment appropriate adjustments will be incorporated in the 2001-2005 Capital Works Program.":

Cleveland mandates Paramedics and EMTs to wear bullet resistant vests during every call.

Attachments

• 347815012_154059934166292_1338279583372979664_n.jpg
    347815012_154059934166292_1338279583372979664_n.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 13
Around 2000 it was a big conversation in Alberta. There were some EMS buying their own; but The official objection to having to purchase it at the time was that it was too confrontational, it was suggested that it would cause patients to believe they were dealing with police officers, if they wanted to attack someone, or that it may incite people to try and hurt them as they were “wearing a vest”

I believe the possession of body armor in Manitoba is forbidden for all except emergency services - mostly police.

I believe the possession of body armor in Manitoba is forbidden for all except emergency services - mostly police.

Manitoba

The Body Armour and Fortified Vehicle Control Act​

The Body Armour and Fortified Vehicle Control Act was phased in between January 1st and April 1st of 2012.

Back