• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

SeaKingTacco said:
I disagree. Nobody will learn anything if people “just butt out” of subjects they are unfamiliar with.

I am more than willing to politely debate you, Donald.

Thank you! I basically ignore that kind of crap.

:cheers:

SeaKingTacco said:
Funnily enough, the gender parity thing is happening (Maybe not fast enough for some) on its own and is healthy for sport shooting Canada.
But is hasn't been legislated yet.
SeaKingTacco said:
I have met some wicked good women shooters. Good on them for being a part of the sport.
Women are the fastest growing demographic in sport shooting today. The Liberals and anti-gun groups, however, are making huge efforts to tell those women that guns are bad and dangerous and they should find a less socially toxic hobby than sport shooting.

Haggis said:
But is hasn't been legislated yet.Women are the fastest growing demographic in sport shooting today.

I was about to mention that.

The Liberals and anti-gun groups, however, are making huge efforts to tell those women that guns are bad and dangerous and they should find a less socially toxic hobby than sport shooting.
Yes, with Mrs Wendy Cukier leading the crusade. Well, when she's not busy bullying people in the work place (and quietly being fired).

Excellent figure to preach being less toxic that Mrs Cukier.

And the people speak:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/people-are-super-frustrated-gun-owners-firearm-activists-march-at-parliament-hill/ar-BB18YmCm?ocid=msedgdhp

Weinie said:
And the people speak:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/people-are-super-frustrated-gun-owners-firearm-activists-march-at-parliament-hill/ar-BB18YmCm?ocid=msedgdhp

An estimated 800 gun owners and firearm rights activists assembled on Parliament Hill on Saturday to express their displeasure with the federal government’s gun policies, especially the ban on assault-style firearms announced after the mass killing in Portapique, N.S., in April.

Interesting estimate. CCFR is estimating around 5000.

EhvR3adXkAEPvEY

Jarnhamar said:
Interesting estimate. CCFR is estimating around 5000.

Not to argue Gun Politics with you Jarnhamar, but this is what I read,

Organizers claimed 5,000 people flooded the streets of Ottawa for the rally, but the parliamentary security service said the number was closer to 800.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7331295/pro-gun-rally-parliament-hill/

I am no expert but, if the picture above is actually from the rally, that looks alot closer to 5000 people, than 800 (at least on the Sparks St Mall. Maybe they didn’t all go onto Parliament Hill.

SeaKingTacco said:
I am no expert but, if the picture above is actually from the rally, that looks alot closer to 5000 people, than 800 (at least on the Sparks St Mall. Maybe they didn’t all go onto Parliament Hill.

That is a picture from the march, 700 to 800 was reported as the attendance 32min before the start. Parliamentary Protective Services estimated 5000 plus.

Chief Engineer said:
Parliamentary Protective Services estimated 5000 plus.

Not to disagree, but can you post a source for that?

Organizers claimed 5,000 people flooded the streets of Ottawa for the rally, but the parliamentary security service said the number was closer to 800.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7331295/pro-gun-rally-parliament-hill/

mariomike said:
Not to disagree, but can you post a source for that?

Just what I seen on twitter, where that picture was posted. It does look a lot more than 800 people. It was a hell of a lot more than the last anti protest and impressive considering we are in a pandemic.

A lot of the hill is blocked off for construction. Might be there were lesser numbers on the hill and more down below? PPS worries about the parliamentary precinct, not the streets of Ottawa.

shawn5o said:
You got me there EL17

I have no idea why certain calibres are banned. Saturday night specials perhaps?

Well when they banned .25s and .32s they said it was because of Saturday night specials and they were 'inherently inaccurate' calibers. Then they proceeded to put a exemption for if its used for target shooting (.32s in particular are Olympic target shooting pistols). The best part about that bit of stupidity is the Saturday night specials were banned due to the barrel length restrictions, so there was no need to do a caliber one. Just one of the many examples of ineffective and contradictory legislation on the governments part when they made the firearms act.

Eaglelord17 said:
The best part about that bit of stupidity is the Saturday night specials were banned due to the barrel length restrictions....

.25 and .32 calibre handguns were banned due to their being easily concealed.

Haggis said:
.25 and .32 calibre handguns were banned due to their being easily concealed.

True with their Saturday night special fears they banned all handguns with a barrel length of less than 105mm and those .25 and .32 calibers. They banned 585,000 handguns in the interest of public safety.

Chief Engineer said:
They banned 585,000 handguns in the interest of public safety.

I would not be at all surprised if the banning of the remainder is announced during the Speech from the Throne in 10 days.

Haggis said:
I would not be at all surprised if the banning of the remainder is announced during the Speech from the Throne in 10 days.

The Liberals know that they need to stay on the side of a clear majority and so won't step beyond those boundaries. I feel that the pro-gun faction of Canadians must consider popular politics in their fight. That won't result in a complete win but it will cut the losses.

Donald H said:
The Liberals know that they need to stay on the side of a clear majority and so won't step beyond those boundaries. I feel that the pro-gun faction of Canadians must consider popular politics in their fight. That won't result in a complete win but it will cut the losses.

Wait....what does that paragraph even mean???

Are you saying they will?  Or they won't?  What will keep them on the side of a clear majority?

Your statement that "the pro-gun faction of Canadians must consider popular politics in their fight" means what? Pro-gun groups should just accept that the future of legal gun ownership and the legally conducted shooting sports in Canada is limited and just give up? 

What are the Liberals going to do about illegal guns and the illegal shooting sports like drug hits, drive-bys and smuggling?

BTW, Donald H, I'm still waiting for your proposals on the qualifications you think are needed to regulate gun ownership in Canada. (see reply # 1436 from yesterday)

Haggis said:
Wait....what does that paragraph even mean???

I'll try to answer your questions.

Are you saying they will?  Or they won't?  What will keep them on the side of a clear majority?

I'm saying that I don't think the Liberals will step beyond the boundary that maintains their support on gun control. They know that if they go too far they risk losing the support of most gun owners.

Your statement that "the pro-gun faction of Canadians must consider popular politics in their fight" means what?

It means that which I've said in my previous answer. And my own feeling is that doesn't include very much support for handguns and assault style weapons. This I judge by reports of them having 70-80% support.

Pro-gun groups should just accept that the future of legal gun ownership and the legally conducted shooting sports in Canada is limited and just give up?

Pro-gun groups should in my opinion not show bad faith by pushing the envelope. That again is in my opinion what I've said in my last answer. modifying demands on some guns could show good faith and be beneficial.

[quoute]What are the Liberals going to do about illegal guns and the illegal shooting sports like drug hits, drive-bys and smuggling?[/quote]

I don't know what either party is going to do about those issues. That could be a good exercise to compare the Liberals' and the Conservatives'  and the NDP's proposals.

BTW, Donald H, I'm still waiting for your proposals on the qualifications you think are needed to regulate gun ownership in Canada. (see reply # 1436 from yesterday)
[/quote]

I'll get back on that.

edit: Sorry, I thought I answered that question but now I see that the reason why I didn't answer is because my comment wasn't about the regulation of gun ownership.

It was me saying that I support shooting sports with some qualifications. Those qualifications are, not killing (socalled) varmints for fun, with the exception of rats. And not shooting wolves if they can be considered as varmints. I may have more qualifications that I couldn't include as part of my support.

Answer me the same question. Where do you stand on killing animals for fun?

Donald H said:
I'm saying that I don't think the Liberals will step beyond the boundary that maintains their support on gun control. They know that if they go too far they risk losing the support of most gun owners.
I'd wager that they lost most of that support with the OIC in May. Now, even hunters and farmers don't trust them due to their initial ban on .10 and .12 ga shotguns.

Donald H said:
It means that which I've said in my previous answer. And my own feeling is that doesn't include very much support for handguns and assault style weapons. This I judge by reports of them having 70-80% support.
When those 1500 Canadians polled by Liberal friendly pollsters are all in urban areas and asked a loaded question, then, yes, support for an "assault weapons ban" and "handgun ban" are way up there.  So, why not ask this question:

"Do you support the confiscation of legally owned, properly stored and safely used firearms from lawful Canadian owners?"  or "Do you support the banning of lawfully owned handguns which are used only for sport shooting in Canada?"

Donald H said:
Pro-gun groups should in my opinion not show bad faith by pushing the envelope.
How are pro-gun groups pushing the envelope?

Donald H said:
That again is in my opinion what I've said in my last answer. modifying demands on some guns could show good faith and be beneficial.
The Liberals didn't act in good faith when passing the latest rounds of firearms legislation.  A case in point is the RCMP arbitrarily adding several hundred makes and models to the banned list after the OIC came into force without any oversight, consultation or notification to gun owners.  Why should the Liberals expect good faith in return?

What are the Liberals going to do about illegal guns and the illegal shooting sports like drug hits, drive-bys and smuggling?
Donald H said:
I don't know what either party is going to do about those issues. That could be a good exercise to compare the Liberals' and the Conservatives'  and the NDP's proposals.

Would you think that consistently and diligently enforcing the existing firearms laws, including the Customs Act, and targeting criminals and criminal organizations would be a good start?

Donald H said:
edit: Sorry, I thought I answered that question but now I see that the reason why I didn't answer is because my comment wasn't about the regulation of gun ownership.
Far enough.  So you agree, then, that our current suite of firearms laws in Canada are sufficient to regulate civilian ownership?  Do you support the May 1st OIC?  Bill C-71?  Are they/will they be, in your opinion, reasonable and effective in combating the criminal use of firearms in Canada and why?

Donald H said:
It was me saying that I support shooting sports with some qualifications. Those qualifications are, not killing (socalled) varmints for fun, with the exception of rats. And not shooting wolves if they can be considered as varmints. I may have more qualifications that I couldn't include as part of my support.

Answer me the same question. Where do you stand on killing animals for fun?
I no longer sport hunt, not because I lost the thrill of it but because my current family and work life makes it very complicated to do so.  But, when I did, I ate what I killed. 

I live in a rural area.  Today I use my firearms primarily for sport shooting (IPSC, IDPA, skeet and sporting clays) and, when needed, for predator control.

Haggis said:
A case in point is the potential buyback (compensated confiscation) regime which the Liberals may enact to collect up and destroy the lawfully owned newly banned 1800+ models of firearms. That buyback, if eventually offered, will only apply to lawfully owned guns. No incentive there for criminals to turn in theirs.

What would be the value of the buyback? How will the feds determine fair market value? Since owners cannot use or sell the now prohibited firearms, will it be .10 cents on the dollar? (Extreme but I think you get my drift)

Back