• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Boot Review

Hanwag Special Forces Lx. Almost identical to the Lowa mountain boot, just a slightly higher craftsman ship.

I have worn them for Cambrian Patrol, Njmegen, CQCI, BMO, PLQ(MOD6), in garrison daily, and on every exercise for 5 years. They are finally reaching the point of no repair.

More expensive than most ($400 ish), but after having them for 5 years it only really costs aroun $80 a year, also considering I have been more active on my feet than the average NCO and am not a fan of rotating boots.

I highly reccomend them, I recently just ordered a new pair since mine are too far gone worn, and they offered me a 10% discount for being a military member.

If you plan on doing any form of mountain work, or intense weighted rucks, do your self a favor and get them

Hello

I've looked through the treads and does anyone recommend an all round black boot that looks professional?  Mid to high price is fine. I have the LOTB boots and I want something to use for when on duty and potentially for hiking. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocky SV2, SWATS, and Magnums seem to be the most popular, there are a few more options like Oakley, Danner, etc

I use Magnums mostly but also have SWATS and Rocky. SWATS are my least favorite. I've used the Magnums and Rocky for the Petawawa 20km Ruck and they both hold up great.

You really need to try them all on and see what fits best.

For reference, perhaps

Boots to purchase.

will be merged with,

The Great Boot Review 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/54823.100
5 pages.

mariomike said:
For reference, perhaps

Boots to purchase.

will be merged with,

The Great Boot Review 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/54823.100
5 pages.
Good plan MiKe Mike. I have crap reception so search wasn't working so swell. Thanks.

RocketRichard said:
Good plan MiKe Mike. I have crap reception so search wasn't working so swell. Thanks.

Thanks for not taking offence at the suggestion, RR.  :)

Update: bought a pair of Lowa Uplanders and they've been great on course and in the field. Was also issued 2 pairs of LOTB boots. Used one of the pairs for 2 days and they started to spilt at the seam. One of the soldiers on our course blew out both pairs.

2md5if8.jpg

I really need the CAF to give out a boot allowance.

I've been using Rocky S2Vs since 2009 or so but recently decided to try out Lowa's (GTX and Mountian boots) after a new pair of Rockys started giving me blisters. They feel like they're built differently somehow, Rockey customer service pretty much told me to piss off after I tried asking them about it. 

The Lowa's seem like they're built pretty narrow (the Mountain boots don't come in wide sizes unfortunately) and pretty clunky to pick up but once I put them on they were pretty awesome and the weight isn't bad.  I'm going to wait until it's a bit cooler outside and try a long weight march to see how they do.

3rd pair from the left...they look like they could use some polish, especially on the toes. 

Jarnhamar said:
2md5if8.jpg

I've been using Rocky S2Vs since 2009 or so but recently decided to try out Lowa's (GTX and Mountian boots) after a new pair of Rockys started giving me blisters. They feel like they're built differently somehow, Rockey customer service pretty much told me to piss off after I tried asking them about it. 

The Lowa's seem like they're built pretty narrow (the Mountain boots don't come in wide sizes unfortunately) and pretty clunky to pick up but once I put them on they were pretty awesome and the weight isn't bad.  I'm going to wait until it's a bit cooler outside and try a long weight march to see how they do.
Nice collection there. The old combat boots we were issued( Mark3 or 4's ) seemed to work just fine. The Lowas have been very good. Had a 60 lb ruck on and went for a 10 K jaunt and all well. The boots hold a nice 'shine' with some brush polishing.

Jarnhamar said:

Have you tried Danners? I wore them for years in the infantry, both on and off deployment, and they're the best boots I've ever worn. I also wore them in law enforcement. I probably have four pair and cannot wear them out. Danner sells their boots for life. The soles are stitched down, they have an excellent warranty, and love doing business with service personnel.

Cheers, Mark

Hey guys, sorry for the necro-post revival.

It's been a few years since the last post, but I was wondering if you guys have any feedback on newer brands or models since 2016 ?

Many people preaching LOWA, but having more inputs from people might help me choose a better overall boot.

Thanks,

Alt-berg Defenders - Full leather brown, Cambrelle lined (I'd say 3.5 seasons). They are very high quality and were stocked at the CANEX last I checked (compliant with BOOTFORGEN). Best all around boot I've had.

After about a year I can safely say to stay away from the Solomon Quest 4 D GTX. While it’s comfortable and feels a lot like a hiking boot the design of it encourages snow and rocks to call into the boot while you’re moving. Additionally they’re probably the slowest drying gortex boots I’ve ever had, and the rubber lip where the boots meets the sole is fraying after a year. Given the price tag I’d stay away and opt for the much superior Aku Pilgrims.

After about a year I can safely say to stay away from the Solomon Quest 4 D GTX. While it’s comfortable and feels a lot like a hiking boot the design of it encourages snow and rocks to call into the boot while you’re moving. Additionally they’re probably the slowest drying gortex boots I’ve ever had, and the rubber lip where the boots meets the sole is fraying after a year. Given the price tag I’d stay away and opt for the much superior Aku Pilgrims.

How did our boots do in Alaska?

Back