• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

All this is is a load of hot air....
It's not getting worked up and ruining my day over......

warspite said:
All this is is a load of hot air....
It's not getting worked up and ruining my day over......

That's because you're not old enough to vote yet. Pay very close attention to things like this. Knowledge is then power when you do reach the age of majority.

All you have to do is remember how many times a party has managed to make you state "this is hot air and they're not worth getting worked up over."

I don't think it's ruined anybody's day here actually. We've kind of grown used to hot air.

Edit: typo

The asshat who wrote the article was on TV a few months ago spouting the exact same words.  It was on of those CBC "townhall" BS show's, you know the ones where they find evry nutball around to come in an have camera time debating issues.

Anyhow, this twit was on the stage with a PPCLI Capt who'd been wounded in Afghanistan.  This prof crapped all over the mission, basically said he like soldiers like the Capt as long as he was only peacekeeping.  The Capt put up with his BS until the prof started jabbing at Gen Hillier, then gave him a good jab.

He's another know nothing know it all.  Another exibit for the National Ass Clown Museum..... :mg:

Perhaps I should clarify, it's not that I don't care and that I think this is unimportant, I'm well aware of how public opinion can be influenced by such crap as this article. It's that I'm not going to wreck my day by getting angry about some fool who wrote some article that's already been published, course that don't mean I don't think this guy shouldn't get his just desserts....

Out of line or not, at least Hillier isn't the type to cover for anyone (remember Baril covering for Cretin's ski holidy during Assad's funeral). 
A refreshing change, I just hope there's more like him to carry on after he retires. 

In other news relating to the CDS, I see he has a new medal.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Feature_Story/2007/02/19/originals/DSC0065.jpg

Is it approriate to say "Nice rack Sir"?

A toast to the CDS! The ballsiest and most qualified man for the job in a long time  :salute:

career_radio-checker said:
In other news relating to the CDS, I see he has a new medal.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Feature_Story/2007/02/19/originals/DSC0065.jpg

Is it approriate to say "Nice rack Sir"?

A toast to the CDS! The ballsiest and most qualified man for the job in a long time  :salute:

Which one is new? The order of St John of Jerusalem?

career_radio-checker said:
yeah that one

very cool ribbon....black with a maltese cross medal.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/DHH/honours_awards/engraph/honour_awards_e.asp?cat=3&Q_ID=15

He's had that one for a while.      ;)

Regards

E.R. Campbell said:
Which is what that petty, puffed up, provincial, pseudo-intellectual poltroon Trudeau (and his foreign affairs guru Ivan Head) wanted to do in '68/'69/'70 when they committed another, equally bad, act of policy vandalism - this time in the foreign/defence domain.  Trudeau was, without a shadow of a doubt, the biggest enemy Canada had post 1955.

So, then you're not going to jump into the next wave of Trudeaumania when the heir apparent shows up with the CBC in tote acting like Christ walked up the St. Lawrence?

whiskey601 said:
So, then you're not going to jump into the next wave of Trudeaumania when the heir apparent shows up with the CBC in tote acting like Christ walked up the St. Lawrence?

Oh, I'll probably manage to restrain my enthusiasm.

But I do not believe that the (very grave) sins of the father ought to be visited upoin the sons.  Maybe the Trudeau 'fils' can make themselves into something other than paper cut-out celebrities for the aging baby boomers who still worship at the alter of Trudeau 'père'.

.... But the boys are a marriage of Quebecois & BC culture.....
Ad mare usque ad mare..... (and other clichés)

BTW.... we should get back on topic......
W're supposed to be sailing praise and speculation about the CDS, present & future.... aren't we?

OK, how's this for a link to the original stream:  should former political back room boys stay outta the current governing fray and in their own lane, like Eddie "Fast Eddie" Goldenbreg suggests Hiller do?  ;)  Also, WTF with the cheap shots against someone he, himself, admits shouldn't be able to defend himself politically - class, real class....

Shared with the usual disclaimer...

Chretien ally to Hillier: Keep out of politics
Goldenberg chastises top general for criticism of Grits' military spending

Paul Gessell, Ottawa Citizen, 22 Feb 07
Article Link

Canada's top soldier has no business complaining about the level of military spending -- the "decade of darkness" -- under the last Liberal government, according to Jean Chretien's former right-hand man.

"Generals are there to serve, not to govern," says Eddie Goldenberg. And it is the elected politicians, not the generals, who decide how much money should be spent on the military, Mr. Goldenberg said during a speech to a fundraising breakfast yesterday for the Ottawa Art Gallery.

The war of words between Liberals and Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of defence staff, began last week when the blunt-talking soldier complained that cuts to military spending during Mr. Chretien's Liberal government left "some deep wounds" and comprised "a decade of darkness."

The statements seemed uncharacteristically political for a soldier holding a supposedly non-political job.

Denis Coderre, Liberal defence critic, immediately accused Gen. Hillier of being out of line and turning himself into "a prop for the Conservative party."

Mr. Goldenberg's remarks about Gen. Hillier came during a speech about the need for governments to make tough choices when deciding who should get scarce funds.

"His so-called 'decade of darkness' for the military was the same decade that saw $12 billion invested in higher learning through the creation of the Canada Foundation for Innovation, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the endowing of 2000 Canada Research chairs in our universities and much else," said Mr. Goldenberg, an Ottawa-based lawyer. "For Canadian universities in general and particularly here in Ottawa for the University of Ottawa and Carleton, it might be called the 'decade of enlightenment'."

Mr. Goldenberg took another shot at Gen. Hillier by saying "he probably also was disappointed we did not join with the Americans in Iraq." ....

As for cheap shots, see the second part here, with reference to Jim Travesty:

Afstan: Same coin, different faces
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/02/afstan-same-coin-different-faces.html

Mark
Ottawa

milnewstbay said:
b]"His so-called 'decade of darkness' for the military was the same decade that saw $12 billion invested in higher learning through the creation of the Canada Foundation for Innovation, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the endowing of 2000 Canada Research chairs in our universities and much else," [/b]said Mr. Goldenberg, an Ottawa-based lawyer. "For Canadian universities in general and particularly here in Ottawa for the University of Ottawa and Carleton, it might be called the 'decade of enlightenment'."
Having lived through the 90's in the military I was impressed that someone actually recognized how dark a time it was. This Mr Goldenburg is correct as well though, the dollars spent probably went towards these fine programs and resulted in uh...incalculable stuff. But at what cost to the country? We play catch up and pray that the support remains...thats all we can do is pray. Strong leaders mean a strong military, obviously these programs were more important to Mr Goldberg than National Security.

A tiny bit more faith in the general public....

Canadians Think Hillier Should Speak His Mind
Angus Reid Global Monitor : Polls & Research, 26 Feb 07
News release - Full report (.pdf)

(Angus Reid Global Monitor) - Many Canadian adults believe their chief of defence staff should be able to express his views freely, according to a poll by Angus Reid Strategies. 58 per cent of respondents think Rick Hillier is entitled to speak his mind publicly, regardless of political implications.

Conversely, 30 per cent of respondents think Hillier, as the chief of defence staff, should not make public statements that could have political implications, and 12 per cent are unsure.

Earlier this month, Hillier criticized former Liberal governments for under-funding the military, and referred to the 1990s as a "decade of darkness" for the Canadian Armed Forces. Hillier justified his comments, declaring, "I describe things as accurately, as clearly, as bluntly and as frankly as I possibly can and that’s what I’ve done. We’ve gone through a decade of darkness and we’re starting to come out of it and that’s a description of the Canadian Forces. Like it or not, that’s the description."

Former cabinet minister and current Liberal parliamentarian Denis Coderre expressed dismay at Hillier’s allegations, claiming the chief of defence staff has become "a prop" for the Conservatives.

Canadians renewed the House of Commons in January 2006. The Conservative party—led by Stephen Harper—received 36.3 per cent of the vote, and secured 124 seats in the 308-member lower house. Harper leads a minority administration after more than 12 years of government by the Liberal party.

Polling Data

As you may know, Rick Hillier, Canada’s chief of defence staff, recently criticized former Liberal governments for under-funding the military. Hillier also referred to the 1990s as a "decade of darkness" for the Canadian Armed Forces. Which of the following statements comes closest to your view?

As the chief of defence staff, Hillier is
entitled to speak his mind publicly,
regardless of political implications        58%

As the chief of defence staff, Hillier
should not make public statements
that could have political implications      30%

Not sure                    12%

Source: Angus Reid Strategies
Methodology: Online interviews with 1,069 Canadian adults, conducted on Feb. 20 and Feb. 21, 2007. Margin of error is 2.9 per cent.

CPAC's Primetime Politics host Peter Van Dusen speaks to General Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff, in an exclusive interview about Canada's mission to Afghanistan and the funding of the Canadian Forces.

Video Interview

Back