• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

OldSolduer said:
The office of CDS was already politicized. It has been since the 70's and perhaps before that.

The worst example was General Boyle. He did exactly what he was told to by MND, with little regard for the soldiers, sailors and airpeople under his watch. I can't recall all the CDS's I served under.....just what I perceive to be bad examples and good examples.

Did General Hillier politicize the office.....perhaps, but in the favor of the soldiers, sailors and airpeople under his watch.

So true on all counts - two opposites that stick in the mind - Boyle and Hillier.

Although I am a firm supporter of The General (can't figure how anyone serving in the 80/90's wouldn't be) I do know of some senior Officers and NCM's that do not hold him in such high regards. From what I have heard he was a "my way or the highway" type leader and some chose the highway. The dot coms were a highly contested decision and there is already talk started of getting rid of them.

FFNA - from reading the original post you commented on - did it occur to you that maybe that was the reporters words and not Hilliers?

There is no doubt that some here have to calm down and stop with the dramatic over re-acting, FFNA is right that he has not called into question the General's time as CDS.

Did Hillier say he would not be a lobbyist?  Don't know as the first line of the article does not indicate it was a quote from him. Could be his words or the reporters words.

Did he become a lobbyist?  Not yet as far as I know.

No doubt the company is hoping to pick some nuggets out of him and maybe he will provide them with some if he feels it is for the good of those serving.

Just have to wait and see what the man does in the future. Regardless of what he does it will not change the fact - He was amongst, if not the, best CDS.

Fear said:
FACT- Hillier said he wouldn't become a lobbyist
FACT- Hillier now works for a lobbying firm(in some capacity)

I once said I'd never own a Japanese motorcycle, drive an imported car, or drink Mexican beer.  I've now done all three.  March me off to the pillory, constables.

Kat Stevens said:
I once said I'd never own a Japanese motorcycle, drive an imported car, or drink Mexican beer.  I've now done all three.  March me off to the pillory, constables.

I once said I'd never work in a jail.....now I do..... :crybaby:

FFnA:

Bias my a$$. A man can work for a company that lobbies while doing No lobbying himself. When I joined the Army in 1965 we were still using '52 pattern Jeeps and '52 pattern 3/4ton SMPs. We daren't return them to MSS for fear that we would never see them again. All through the 60s,70s and 80s...same story or worse. Role changes:Recce...Armour....Recce...Armour. and on and on. At least with Hillier we knew what to expect.

I truly believe Hillier will only advise his new employers in his proven areas of leadership and honesty.Too bad you can't teach charisma.

I have been reading since I was 4 years old, and though I am getting a little long in the tooth, my comprehension skills are fairly high. I can still recognize an under-handed attempt at character assassination. Possibly the STFU was not justified, but I can't sit idly by when a TROLL pulls my chain.
Very Uncheerfully,
tango22a

Kat Stevens:

28 Days pillory .... to be served on alternate Thursdays in months without an "R" and years without a "0" or "1" in it.

Cheers,

tango22a

I said I would never be

a clerk

regular force

Navy

have a family

work in Ottawa

live in PMQ

drive a van

guess I must be super bad as I have done all of those over the years since then. The reality is that at points we all plan and say things that get changed as time passes.

I actually hope that he does become a lobbyist as I am sure that whatever he choices to lobby for will be good for the military.

Why are certain people nitpicking our former CDS?
He served his time in the military and now he is on his second life.
He has found employment, let the man do his job.
If and when he does anything, then offer your opinions.

You are condemning the man for what he might do, not for what he done.

I think the unseemly pile-on because Fear, Fervor nor Affacetion does not worship, mindlessly, at Rick Hillier’s shrine reflects poorly on those who are unable or, at least, unwilling to accept anything that is not 99.9% in accordance with their preconceived ideas.

But, FFnA go off on the wrong foot by misunderstanding the very nature of  Gowlings. It is, first and foremost a law firm – and, as far as I know, a very good, respected and respectable one. In Canada (as in the America) many law firms are also in the advocacy business – because law is, in the main, a matter of advocacy of various sorts. The boundary between much of the ‘out of court’ work of big law firms and major lobby firms is blurred. One 'job' they all do is executive placement.

It is not now and never was clear to me that Gen. (ret’d) Hillier is an employee of Gowlings – rather, I think he is a client: Gowlings is providing services to him – like getting him a job with TD Canada Trust, he is not doing anything for them.

Thus: FFnA has misread the situation but, rather than correct his facts, many members have decided to attack the messenger, which is amateurish, at best.

Fear said:
First of all, not once did I say he should be held to the same standard as a government employee.  In fact, I have said quite the opposite in a couple of posts.  I specifically said that I believe he is free to do whatever work he wants as a private citizen.  Perhaps you, Teeps74, should grow up and brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

As for facts, they have been laid out; Hillier said he wouldn't become a lobbyist - He is now employed by a lobbying firm.  These are facts.  I am not claiming to know the exact significance of them.  I am just a bit surprised to see him in a position where the good of the CF and the good of the people he represents may one day be at odds with one another.  Who does he choose then?  The people who pay him or the CF?  For a man who has made his image and reputation by representing the good of little guy(the individual soldier), he is risking that same reputation when he does, or at least appears to, represent the good of the contractors.  I don't know what will happen, but nobody knows better than the General that perception is very important.  He was a master at controling it during his tenure as CDS.

Do you have a problem with honesty? The man said he would not be a defence lobbiest. There is a big, big, big difference herer, which you are very dutifully missing.

I have read some of your other threads, and labelling your responses as crap, would be very appropriate.

Gentlemen & Ladies:

I humbly apologise to this Forum for my Rant. Sorry, for practising what I was taught years  ago... "Never excuse a fault"

tango22a

E.R. Campbell said:
It is not now and never was clear to me that Gen. (ret’d) Hillier is an employee of Gowlings – rather, I think he is a client: Gowlings is providing services to him – like getting him a job with TD Canada Trust, he is not doing anything for them.

Thus: FFnA has misread the situation but, rather than correct his facts, many members have decided to attack the messenger, which is amateurish, at best.

As usual, clarity in your analysis; however, he did do something for them; he provided his name. Gowlings received favourable publicity by simply providing an office and a little advice to one of the most admired Canadians in the public eye at the time.  I think Gowlings was the greater beneficiary of that deal.

Here is a link to a video in which Gen. (Ret’d) Hillier passes on some wisdom to the business community.

There’s some good stuff for serving soldiers, too; especially important is the 95/5 idea and his admonition to not spend 95% of your leadership time and talent on the 5% of the people who are problems, who hold the organization back.

I think a lot of people will agree with me that during the first week in command of this that or the other organization one gets to know the problem children best – that’s natural because commanding is more than just leading – it is also about managing and managing is about identifying problems and  solving them. But, in my opinion, one must not get too focused on problems – there is a staff and a ‘system’ to help deal with them and one can, usually, use them with reasonable confidence – rather one wants to focus, quickly, on reinforcing success: supporting and developing the good people (and procedures and equipment, too). Broadly, the best way to ‘solve’ problems is to prevent them and helping good people get better is often the best way to prevent them from becoming indifferent and even turning into problems, themselves.

Anyway, the Codfather offers some food for thought for working leaders and would-be leaders in business and the military.

Beautiful... thanks for the link Ed.
I think that the General never dissapoints when speaking his mind.

Mods, please feel free to move this post if not properly placed.  I'm glad he's being honoured; he deserves it.

U of G to Present Outstanding Leader Award to Rick Hillier
January 09, 2009 - News Release

http://www.uoguelph.ca/news/2009/01/u_of_g_to_prese.html

Retired Canadian general and chief of defence staff Rick Hillier will receive the Lincoln Alexander Outstanding Leader Award Jan. 13 from the University of Guelph's College of Management and Economics (CME).

Hillier will be the second person to receive the honour since it was created and first awarded in 2006 to Lincoln Alexander, who served as Guelph's chancellor for an unprecedented 15 years and is now University chancellor emeritus.

Hillier is being honoured for his exceptional abilities as a communicator with soldiers, the public and the media at a time of increased activity in the Canadian Forces; for improving the image and sustainability of the Forces both domestically and internationally; and for his efforts to lobby the federal government for increased military funding.

"Rick Hillier has never been afraid to speak up for what he believes in, which is always a signature of an exceptional leader,” said CME dean Chris McKenna. "Throughout his career, he has made some of the toughest decisions imaginable and worked tirelessly to advocate for the men and women who defend our nation. He is an exceptional leader who continues to share his expertise, even after retirement from the military.”

Hillier’s 36-year military career included serving as commander of the Stabilization Force multinational division (southwest) and the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Kabul, Afghanistan. He was named chief of land staff in 2003 and two years later became Canada’s chief of defence staff, the highest-ranking position in the Canadian Forces. He retired from the Forces in 2008.

Hillier has since brought his leadership skills to the world of business and post-secondary education. He now works for the TD Bank Financial Group supporting the enhancement of client and customer relations and assisting with the bank’s leadership development and training initiatives. He also serves as chancellor of Memorial University, his alma mater.

The annual Lincoln Alexander Outstanding Leader Award is presented to someone who has embodied and demonstrated exceptional leadership in the areas of service, advocacy, collaboration, learning and scholarship.
The 2007 recipient was Frank McKenna, former premier of New Brunswick and former Canadian ambassador to the United States.

For media questions, contact Communications and Public Affairs: Lori Bona Hunt, 519-824-4120, Ext. 53338, l.hunt@uoguelph.ca, or Barry Gunn, Ext. 56982, bagunn@uoguelph.ca

And U of G's nutty left wing morons weigh in...

http://www.thecannon.ca/viewpoint_details.php?id=7723

BUMP!

Come on people, I don't get really fired up about things but the article I posted takes the cake. Read the article folks, could this be considered as libel? If so, I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me.

Piper, you nailed it in your first posting.

And as some of my fellow UniGoo types seem to be saying: "Don't dignify the oxygen thief".

Don't give this guy any more hits.  Don't waste any more of Mike's bandwidth on him.

Kirkhill said:
Piper, you nailed it in your first posting.

And as some of my fellow UniGoo types seem to be saying: "Don't dignify the oxygen thief".

Don't give this guy any more hits.  Don't waste any more of Mike's bandwidth on him.

True. There's more at play here beyond the one article, however, if you're so inclined search "In defence of General (Ret'd) Hillier's award from the University of Guelph" on facebook and join up.

Student activists are.... student activists.
They spout off about things they hear but really don't understand.... Been there & done that.

Scott Gilbert has a strong pen but fails to pick up on a number of key points....
General Hillier informed all comers that the Canadian Forces was a military & not a police force.  The whole thing about giving someone due process & reading them their rights is something that it is up to the politicians and diplomats to deal with.  When all else fails, break glass & bring out your military - we will be a bull in a china shop, we will break things - by the use of controlled violence, we will get it done.... but we should never be mistaken for being diplomats... we work for a living.

Back