• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Game of War, a complex military board game dating from 1890"

I think PPCLI Guy has figured out his Christmas list for next year.  ;D

FYI, when reading the actual article, it states the auction was in Nov. 2010.

Its also interesting how many people you need to play the game, 2 officers to command the two sides and officers to command the major sub units, three umpires and an officer to record the moves. It is much more of a training aid than a game.

SherH2A said:
FYI, when reading the actual article, it states the auction was in Nov. 2010.

Its also interesting how many people you need to play the game, 2 officers to command the two sides and officers to command the major sub units, three umpires and an officer to record the moves. It is much more of a training aid than a game.

Wet blanket.  :p

Actually it looks like a good training aid, It would be interesting to design a modern equivalent, replacing the cavalry with armour etc. Could be very useful in teaching combined arms training for the PRes.

Using several people per side is no different from many RPGs that people play today, for fun.  I have several table-top games that would lend themselves to be perfect for practice at exercising command and control, tactics, etc.  But none of them have flashing lights or are played on computers, so....

A live orchestra playing Tchaikovsky in the background would suffice.

SherH2A said:
Actually it looks like a good training aid, It would be interesting to design a modern equivalent, replacing the cavalry with armour etc. Could be very useful in teaching combined arms training for the PRes.

Sand table in a box! Or a puff table for us longer in the tooth types. 8)

recceguy said:
Sand table in a box! Or a puff table for us longer in the tooth types. 8)

Very useful tools both. However I do think The Game of War, would be useful in teaching Young officers map appreciations, orders planning, keeping up unit war diaries.

That seems to be a commercialized version of a wargaming kit.  The article specifically mentions that it was based on the German Kriegspiele, which was used in the War Academy and in Garrison to instruct officers on tactics and exercise them.

A bit of a lost art...now a days, at the staff college, if there isn't a multi-million dollar digital sim and dozens to hundreds of civilian interactors, then you can't have a TEWT/CPX.

SherH2A said:
Very useful tools both. However I do think The Game of War, would be useful in teaching Young officers map appreciations, orders planning, keeping up unit war diaries.
The games I have on my shelf, right now, would be useful for exactly that.  Squad Leader (and its follow on games) and Assault (and its follow on games) are perfect.  It's unfortunate, but just as Infanteer says, unless it's got all the jazz, it's not going to be laughed at.

Makes you wonder why the messes don't have Games Nights using these games or similiar to at least get SOPs driven into Junior officers and NCMs

If only more board games would come in a sturdy wooden case like that.

Technoviking said:
There, fixed that for you  >:D

We play real war games in these parts  ;D

A comprehensive game list, but it's missing the classic Arab - Israeli Wars by Avalon Hill.

cupper said:
A comprehensive game list, but it's missing the classic Arab - Israeli Wars by Avalon Hill.
You are quite correct.  I am also missing Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader....

(Modified for grammar error only)

OT...

But are the table-top games like Squad Leader, etc. still available, or are they out of print and have to be found at garage sales, eBay, etc.?

RangerRay said:
OT...

But are the table-top games like Squad Leader, etc. still available, or are they out of print and have to be found at garage sales, eBay, etc.?
Virtually all are out of print; however, some are still produced.  Curt Schilling (yes, the baseball player) is an avid gamer and is owner of Multiman Publishing, and if I'm not mistaken, is the current rights holder for Advanced Squad Leader.

Edit to add:
There is an online resource that allows one to play most of these games via email.  http://www.vassalengine.org has all the components for all of these games that will allow you to play an opponent by email.

Back