• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The First World War by John Keegan

patrick666

Inactive
Reaction score
I was at the bookstore and made the impulse by of purchasing, "The First World War" by John Keegan, while trying to enlighten myself on the vague and nebulous knowledge I have of WW1. Has anyone read this and what were their thoughts...

Cheers

To be honest I haven't read this one (yet), but I've never been let down by a Keegan book in the past. Informative and always easy to read/understand.

Patrick, I did a search on John Keegan and got some various hits in different threads, but not any whole threads. Give that a try and you might find it....

paracowboy said:
a soup label by Keegan is worth reading.

Well not really, it all depends on the soup. I think his best work was in the broths. His cream soups were just sub par.

I'm another Keagan fan (although I found parts of the book on the battlefields of North America to be a bit gushy - he is an admitted Ameriphile and sometimes it really shows)

Well researched, well written, well presented.

DG

The First World War by John Keegan is probably the definitive general study of the First World War.

I can't read anything the remotely mentions the First World War without:
A) John Keegan's work being mentioned. This applies to his work in general.
B) Thinking what lazy thinking has gone into other authors work on WWI.

I'm currently re-reading How Great Generals Win by Bevin Alexander. He gives Sir Edmund Alleby and chapter and heralds him as an example of a WWI era general who avoided frontal assaults and prefered to mount flanking assaults. I found this supremely stupid as Alexander seemed to gloss over the difficulties in surmounting trench warfare on the Western Front.

Back