• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The End of the Virtual Land of the Free

So the Government of Canada will not advertise on Facebook/Meta due to them not wanting to be bothered to navigate our internet legislation nonsense...

But the LPC will continue to advertise on those same platforms?

At least they are consistent about being inconsistent! 🤣🤦🏼‍♂️
That should tell you all you need to know about this bogus legislation. No official representation but lots of liberal propaganda.

I don't know what all the hoopla is. Other than what the red and orange are trying to censure. I don't know what kind of person would be getting their Canadian news from FaceBook or Google, but if I were inclined to look, I'd just go directly to the news site. Get it off their own platform.

If I gave it any thought, I might think that the coalition did this on purpose. Knowing that Google and FB wouldn't go for it, our overseers get to limit what you see without looking like the bad guys.

I use Qwant and Brave to search. Never used Bing and haven't used Google forever.
I get the news off the platform but I use search engines to find news/information as well.

If I wanted to find a article on the Aga Khan scandal do I go to random news website and attempt to locate a article (which you don’t even know the titles of) or do you type ‘Aga Khan scandal’ on google/alternate search engines to find some articles?

Older articles will get substantially harder to find as well as the difficulty that will be faced in getting multiple sources of information for the same topics. This is not a good thing for our country.

Nobody should take anything from FB as the truth without serious alternate research. It is an entertainment platform. If (as if) I want news from the state broadcaster, I will go to CBC dot Com.

I get the news off the platform but I use search engines to find news/information as well.

If I wanted to find a article on the Aga Khan scandal do I go to random news website and attempt to locate a article (which you don’t even know the titles of) or do you type ‘Aga Khan scandal’ on google/alternate search engines to find some articles?

Older articles will get substantially harder to find as well as the difficulty that will be faced in getting multiple sources of information for the same topics. This is not a good thing for our country.

Nobody should take anything from FB as the truth without serious alternate research. It is an entertainment platform. If (as if) I want news from the state broadcaster, I will go to CBC dot Com.

exactly…

That way you know that there wasn’t any issue. Trudeau just received an overnight bag. Nothing to see there…

1688657239200.png

I haven't been paying close attention, so I will be lazy and ask in case anyone already knows: is any of the content provided (as in display of content, not just a link) by social media paywalled or is it all taken from what is freely available?

It seems unreasonable, to me, for the government to force companies like Google and Facebook to have to negotiate individually with news agencies, particularly when the government chooses which news outlets are worthy of such consideration.

Why not stretch this requirement out... make Google have to negotiate with every website that they provide links to in search results?... Could Google just provide the option for websites to actively opt out of showing up in their search engine if they do not agree to Google being able to receive ad revenue, in its current form, from their own search list? Would news agencies opt out? I doubt it.

They whole proposed scheme seems similar to the NDP attack on groceries stores for "profiteering" during inflationary times when they have relatively low margins and increasingly rely on banking services as a revenue source (ex. PC Financial)... bread price fixing aside. It's as if the LPC is painting Google as some over powerful wealthy conglomerate stealing revenue from the poor, helpless major news conglomerates being propped up with federal funding.

I'd argue that Google has provided substantial benefit to users over the years, without directly charging us for it. Who else would "Street view" most of the world? Provide free online storage and office software (sheets, drive, etc.)? If a competitor were to offer better products, Google would go under. Look at Blackberry, AoL, etc. In contrast, these news agencies are getting millions of tax dollars and I don't remember it being in the party platform during the election.

Maybe Meta and Google should tell Canada "we're turning you off. Have a nice existence with Tik Tok"

Tik Tok needs to be outlawed.
Oh I know that however if Fidel Justin wants to deliver us to China this is one means. And most Canadians will follow merrily along. Just my opinion.
Fidel Castro Cuba GIF

What's your guy's complaint about TikTok? I'm not arguing against what you're saying (yet), but I don't really know what your chief issue is.

What's your guy's complaint about TikTok? I'm not arguing against what you're saying (yet), but I don't really know what your chief issue is.
Tik Tok is owned and operated by a Chinese shell corporation that uses algorithms to deliver content. This trends either towards fascist, right wing extremist or fascism left wing extremism unless you're very careful of what you're watching.

That said, there is a lot of good content on there (cooking ones, life hacks, travel stuff, some survivalist stuff) that you have to sift to find. Much like YouTube or Meta platforms, or hell even Army.ca (sorry @Mike Bobbitt ).

U R JOKING....................riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
No. I'm not. There are three primary arguments against Tiktok, and I wanted to know which ones (if any) people were considering when passing their judgment against tiktok.

Back