• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Depression / Anti Depressants Merged Thread

medicineman said:
BTW - if you're in and being treated for something that isn't resolving or requires long term therapy and not improve, you might not be in for much longer -  people with long term mental health issues can and do get medically released because of those issues just the same as people with physical health problems.

Cheers.

MM

If the injury hinders the Soldier from performing his duty, of meeting the Universality of Service.  Just like any other injury.

The type of injury has absolutely nothing to do with the decision of the soldier's future, it has to do with the Soldiers capability and limitations.

dileas

tess

We're not talking about serving members. Stop the sidetrack.

We're talking about someone that wants to join and is taking meds or is diagnosed as having depression.

They have to see the Recuiter, for an answer. Full stop.

What problems or meds a serving member is having is immaterial to this thread, or to someone who has yet to be recruited. Start your own thread and discussion if that's the tact you wish to take

Bottom line, if you don't meet the standards for recruitment, because of meds or a condition, YOU - DON'T - GET -  IN!!

Locked.......again

Milnet.ca Staff

Hi everyone,

I'm actually in the process for a job in the CF. The only mistake in my case is the antidepressant that I take for a stress disorder. But me and my doctor decide to start the weaning of this medication. It would take probably around two month.

I would like to know if there are some people here who was already in this king of situation and how long
should I wait approximately after my Antidepressants weaning to get a call from CF ?

Sorry for my English, I'm from Quebec and I don't really know how it looks like for english people who read this.

Thanks,
Sebastien

There are a large number of threads about antidepressant use on the forum, including some that discuss cases where people stopped taking them.

Start your search either with the site search engine or by using a targeted search in Google, like this one: site:army.ca antidepressants

The belief that applicants with depression should be granted admission solely because some actively serving members could bear the same ailment is purely erroneous. Requirements are a paradigm, thus they're not subject to flexibility unless there are extenuating circumstances. Yeah it sucks to have an affliction, because of past traumatic events, or heredity, but life has never been rosy. Active members of the military who display depression do so after entering the forces, not prior. Therefore, it's not entirely respectful or fair to question the competency of active members, based on personal qualms.

With that said, I think the policies regarding past sufferers of depression could be a bit clearer. From what I've gleaned, the decision to permit a previously diagnosed applicant is conducted by Ottawa on a case by case basis. In order to verify that an individual is qualified, s/he needs to provide supplementary documentation certifying their competency and health, but even if an applicant is given a glowing report by their encumbent physician, it doesn't guarantee a green flag from Ottawa. I think the policies and stipulations concerning the inadmissibility of an applicant need to be addressed with a lot more clarity. For example, why is it that applicants can still be rejected even after being given a clean bill of health by the physician responsible for their diagnosis. Is there a minimum period of time that needs to be spent free of therapy, medications and symptoms in order to qualify? (The number seems to fluctuate between 6 to 12 months, but there's no concrete information available on this, apart from anecdotes.) Also, is the physician required to provide a letter, or actually fill out forms provided by the CFRC? (Again, the stories seem to differ on this). And finally, does one rejection due to a history of depression invalidate an applicant permanently, or are they eligible for another chance after a year? There are answers to these questions available on the board, but they lack consistency and clarity.

Though I understand the indignation and disappointment underlying the complaints that are being made against these disqualifications, some of the criticisms being made against CF members, and recruiting policies are not constructive, and childish at worst.

On the other hand, the policies regarding depression based disqualification could be a lot clearer. Anecdotes and inconsistent accounts don't generate much confidence in the system. The impression that mentally fit applicants are being denied a privilege, due to a stigma from the past belies their potential worth in the future. Applicants who are fit, and provide documents which certify their competency, but still end up being denied need to know why, and how they can come back with a viable chance. In addition, applicants who do have past depression need to know what the requirements are, and what kind of timeline they need to fulfil so they don't inundate the system with applications that are ultimately going to be rejected.

ftsmith said:
Just got off the phone with the Med at VanCFRC.
She is sending out the form tomorrow (Friday).
She went over it with me...

Family Doctor to fill out:

-Psychological Diagnosis? With date(s)
-Treatment? ie. Medication(s)? Last Used?
-Is treatment ongoing?
-Has treatment been discontinued?
-Is there a risk of reoccurance?
-Does the family doc have any concerns?
-How are my coping skills and abilities?
-Can I handle weapons/explosives?

So all-in-all I think things will go smooth if I get this form filled and fax it back prior to my Medical on April 8th.

She was so helpful and encouraging.
I reccomend any and everybody to call your recruiting centre with ANY concerns you have.  They want you in as bad as you want in.

Good luck and good day.

I had a doctor that prescribed some meds I was taking to fill one of those forms out for me.  I didn't read it until I was about to hand it in to the recruiter, and apparently my doctor wrote down that I shouldn't:
-Psychological Diagnosis? With date(s) Bi-polar
-Treatment? ie. Medication(s)? Last Used? On-going
-Is treatment ongoing? NA
-Has treatment been discontinued? NA
-Is there a risk of reoccurance? NA
-Does the family doc have any concerns? Yes
-Can I handle weapons/explosives? NO

It's weird considering that I went to my doctor saying that I wasn't suicidal at all, and was just wondering if there was the possibility that there might be physiology imbalance that's causing me to be unmotivated, aggravated, sleeping all-day, etc.  I even told the doc that the whole thing might just be situational and the whole depression/bi-polar issue might just a shot-in-the-dark (better to be sure than unsure).

After being told by the recruiter that if I continued the application process, it would guarantee that I won't ever be accepted by the CF, and that my only option was to be off the meds for a year or two and reapply again with a clean slate.  Now, is there sometimes I can do to make my situation any better?  I mean I'm not saying my application should be sugarcoated per se, but having a doctor (not even my family physician or a mental health expert) to write-up how I'm completely unqualified seems a bit drastic.
Should I be getting a second opinion or just find a way to convince the doc that wrote up that report or anything?

Thanks

festealth said:
I had a doctor that prescribed some meds I was taking to fill one of those forms out for me.  I didn't read it until I was about to hand it in to the recruiter, and apparently my doctor wrote down that I shouldn't:

It's weird considering that I went to my doctor saying that I wasn't suicidal at all, and was just wondering if there was the possibility that there might be physiology imbalance that's causing me to be unmotivated, aggravated, sleeping all-day, etc.  I even told the doc that the whole thing might just be situational and the whole depression/bi-polar issue might just a shot-in-the-dark (better to be sure than unsure).

After being told by the recruiter that if I continued the application process, it would guarantee that I won't ever be accepted by the CF, and that my only option was to be off the meds for a year or two and reapply again with a clean slate.  Now, is there sometimes I can do to make my situation any better?  I mean I'm not saying my application should be sugarcoated per se, but having a doctor (not even my family physician or a mental health expert) to write-up how I'm completely unqualified seems a bit drastic.
Should I be getting a second opinion or just find a way to convince the doc that wrote up that report or anything?

Thanks

Okay now I am depressed.

festealth said:
but having a doctor (not even my family physician or a mental health expert) to write-up how I'm completely unqualified seems a bit drastic.

But if the same doctor had declared you completely fit for service, you would have been first in line to scream that his opinion was clear and irrefutable right ?

::)

festealth said:

Thanks

I have my doubts that the physician in question is going to risk their license and reverse their decision a week after the fact based purely on "I really want to get in and I'm not really that bad off".  You could go to a walk in clinic somewehere and hope that a sympathetic ear their might risk their license based on your say so, however, the RMO in Ottawa will take one look at the bottom part of the form that says "How long have you known the applicant?" with an answer that says "5 minutes" and put it in the "Sorry, nice try" basket.

On a less sarcastic note, if you really think you've been misdiagnosed by a primary care practitioner, I'd suggest going back to the one that made the diagnosis, and ask for them to consult you to a psychiatrist, ask them to fill out the form and ask for a copy of the consultation note to accompany it.  Find out how long it will take to get the appointment and ask that your file be kept open until that occurs.

I'll say again - it's nothing personal, it's just business.  No physician, based on their clinical judgement, is going to say "I think you're fine" when they think you aren't.  Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Good luck to you.

MM 

medicineman said:
I have my doubts that the physician in question is going to risk their license and reverse their decision a week after the fact based purely on "I really want to get in and I'm not really that bad off".  You could go to a walk in clinic somewehere and hope that a sympathetic ear their might risk their license based on your say so, however, the RMO in Ottawa will take one look at the bottom part of the form that says "How long have you known the applicant?" with an answer that says "5 minutes" and put it in the "Sorry, nice try" basket.

On a less sarcastic note, if you really think you've been misdiagnosed by a primary care practitioner, I'd suggest going back to the one that made the diagnosis, and ask for them to consult you to a psychiatrist, ask them to fill out the form and ask for a copy of the consultation note to accompany it.  Find out how long it will take to get the appointment and ask that your file be kept open until that occurs.

I'll say again - it's nothing personal, it's just business.  No physician, based on their clinical judgement, is going to say "I think you're fine" when they think you aren't.  Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Good luck to you.

MM

Thank you.

I wasn't expecting the original doc to "write something different" or anything.  I just wanted to make sure that if I do get a second opinion, that it might actually worth something, and not be reviewed like,
"Hey, one of this individual's doctor wrote something that wasn't too good.... *ignores other papers*.... oh well..." *Stamps DENIED*

I just don't want it to be like the "mark of death" or like that episode on Seinfeld where anytime something bad happens, the doctors made a note of it, and you (and the main characters) know that it's bad and will come back to haunt them.

Sometimes suicidal tendencys can be a side effect from a medication... :blotto:
Wich means physicians can be realy cruel  ;D

medicineman said:
I have my doubts that the physician in question is going to risk their license and reverse their decision a week after the fact based purely on "I really want to get in and I'm not really that bad off".

Dr-Nick-Simpsons.png

Luckily, Dr Neeek is a cartoon character - if you were to take medical advice from him, you'd very soon be an extra in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iDl2zwF8TM&feature=related.

MM

I wanted to know if this seems weird to you guys here.

A year  ago I started taking effexor 75mg a day for anxiety/, stopped after 4 months. I had started taking them because I had been sexual assaulted during college and one night I was drinking with friends and I went off the deep end and cut myself really badly(wasn't trying to kill myself, I was just really effin angry at myself). I told the med tech about all of it. He seemed really surprised (almost impressed) when he saw what I did to myself (kinda ugly, I plan on getting tattoos over the scars). But I don't think he marked down the cutting part in my file. He said he was going to recommend me as fit, he didn't even ask me to get a note from the doctor about the crazy drunken episode or pills, only for my vision.

He mentioned that he was only worried about the here and now, that he believed it was situational seeing as everything occurred during a 4-6 month span and that it was good that I went and tried to get myself help, both counseling and medical.

Was the guy trying to give me a break?
From what I've read I thought my case was hopeless. Do I actually stand a chance of getting into the army?
-I did relatively well on my CFAT (37/60) and my interview went great as far as I know, that Capt. was one of the nicest people I have ever met.

He may have been trying to give you a break, but my spidey sense says you might get a letter from the RMO asking for more information regarding this, due to the time frame.  Having said that, I've been wrong before.

MM

Back