• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Capital Punishment Debate

Should it be brought back?

• Total voters
parallel those expressed by parliament when capital punishment was abolished and that decision reaffirmed later (both in free votes).

Please don't equate a vote in Parliament as either a 'free vote' or a true expression of what Canadians want as a whole.  Perhaps the decision of whether Canada should bring back Capital Punishment should be made by a Canada-wide referendum in which all Canadians could be heard.

kincanucks said:
parallel those expressed by parliament when capital punishment was abolished and that decision reaffirmed later (both in free votes).

Please don't equate a vote in Parliament as either a 'free vote' or a true expression of what Canadians want as a whole.   Perhaps the decision of whether Canada should bring back Capital Punishment should be made by a Canada-wide referendum in which all Canadians could be heard.

Agreed, that was a poor comparison. However, if a referendum were held, I'll betcha it would be something like 85% against the death penalty, IMHO.

They were free votes, as in members of parliament were allowed to vote however they wanted (without influence from their party).  That is the definition of a free vote, and that is what occurred.  So it would be more than appropriate to "equate a vote in Parliament" to a free vote if it was one.

Nor did I say that this necessarily reflected Canadian's opinions as a whole.  I simply said that the concerns raised in the debate leading to the abolition of capital punishment were the same as the concerns being raised here.

If you honestly don't believe that the decision to eliminate capital punishment was fairly decided and represented the will of the people then you have a problem with our system of democracy.  If the Canadian people truly wanted capital punishment they would vote accordingly.

i don't understand how there was a poor comparison.  It was factually accurate.

TCBF said:
"If we had the death penalty, we would undoubtedly have as lengthy a process as the US given our left-leaning justice system. It costs more to imprison someone on death row and execute them than it does to imprison them in general population for life. Your support for the death penalty is actually support for wasting more money, not saving it."

Not at all.  Just take the money wasted on the gun registry and put it into death sentences.

Whether you're wasting money that would have been wasted elsewhere or wasting fresh money that wasn't budgeted for something else, you're still wasting money.

"So "an eye for an eye" should be the basis of our entire justice system? "

Isn't it now? If not - remove the threat - permanently.

No, it's not. We stopped living by Hammurabi's code quite some time ago. We don't use the "two wrongs make a right" principle to govern a system of law which regulates 35 million people. As for the threat, you can remove the threat just as easily by sticking it in prison. There is absolutely no necessity or call for killing.

Killing, in Canada at least, is something reserved as a last option - like when a guy pulls a gun on a cop or Canadian Forces troops are at war. We don't arrest people, imprison them (thus removing their threat to society) and then kill them when there's no cause. That's sadistic and sick - it's killing for the sake of killing, not for any legitimate purpose.

"I seriously doubt it. Do you really think that the lack of deterrence in the death penalty is because accomplices aren't being executed? "

I believe the data on deterence is flawed.  The death penalty deters less than it could because very few convicted killers ever are put to death ANYWHERE (USA, China, Japan).

Ah, so it's an issue of volume. We're not killing enough people to generate deterrence? Texas executes three times more people than any other state but has a higher murder rate than the national average. More police officers are killed in Florida, Texas, and California than any other state and all of them have the death penalty. The south, which accounts for 80% of all executions, has the highest murder rate. The Northeast, which accounts for roughly 1% of executions, has a lower murder rate (the lowest in 2001). Canada's murder rate is three times lower than that of the US and doesn't execute anyone.

Take a look: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=12&did=167

As well, I think the death penalty for serious asault - where lack of timely medical intervension would have resulted in death - as well as attempted murder is correct.

That's a pretty vague basis on which to execute people. Establishing that "lack of timely medical intervension would have resulted in death", legally, would be difficult. Why don't we just execute people for every felony? Tax evasion - kill them, drug trafficking - kill them, armed robbery - kill them. It's draconian to say the least.

What criminals fear is death - at the time of the crime and at the hands of their victim mostly, as a result of a long legal process eventually.

Apparently not, judging by the data.

As for repeat offenders - yes, some do kill again.  No sucessful lawsuits against their parole boards so far, unfortunately.

What this argues for is enforcement of life sentences, not execution.

kcdist said:
As for all the naysayers....how would you react to the murderer of your mother being released after a mere 15 years in prison (less actually, after receiving double time served for pre-trial custody). That's the litmus test.

Not really - there's a reason we use a dispassionate justice system for trying, convicting, and punishing offenders. We shouldn't rely on "how would you feel" as the basis for determining the legitimacy or length of punishment. Regardless, what you're arguing is for longer sentences/no parole, not executions.

Some simply deserve to die.

Yes, well I guess this is really a normative point that no one can effectively argue either way. Whether or not someone "deserves to die" is a subjective judgement.

Infanteer said:
Retribution serves to appeal to our most basic instinct of lex talionis.  You say that justice isn't about retribution; what it is about then?  We fear the fickle nature of vigilantism and people taking "justice into their own hands" so we create a system at the communal level that is perceived to be fair and consistent; this doesn't change the nature of why we have the system.  Justice is the communities retaliation for transgressions against its norms and rules.

I think our justice system is geared more towards punishment (in a deterrent capacity) and behaviour correction (hence "Correctional Services Canada")than retribution. Revenge rarely serves any useful function, regardless of whether it feels good or not. There is, undoubtedly, a "payment of debt" aspect to sentencing but I don't think that really establishes a case for the death penalty nor should it be the primary concern of our justice system.

I support the death penalty because it is the most simple and efficient way of dealing with the most serious criminal offenders.

Not really - it costs more. As for simplicity, I'm hesitant to use the KISS principle when considering someone's life.

The community grants the state the right to use violence when the situation warrants it - military action, police conducting there duties, etc.

Yes, and our society views killing as something done in self-defence or defence of others where a threat is imminent or during times of war. Executing criminals fits neither - the murderer has been arrested, is incarcerated, and thus there is no imminent threat. The murderer is not a combatant and we are not at war. Even if he was a combatant, his disarmed and incarcerated status would make killing him a chargeable offence by our rules of war.

Impostion of capital punishment is another circumstance where I can see this as justified.  Of course, an alternative like banishment to a penal colony in the high arctic is another possibility.  The bottom line is if you rape and murder 40-some-odd women and feed them to your pigs, I don't want you in my society; not even writing books in a public-provided facility.

Yes, well we're don't really have a very strong Gulag tradition and incarceration, for all intents and purposes, effectively removes the person from society (as it is one of its purposes).

We put down homeless animals for different reasons then we put rabid dogs, so that analogy sucks.  As well, the death penalty is given for a crime committed, not on the basis of danger posed, so don't attempt to throw this off topic.  If an inbred, violent dog rips the face off of a 4 year old, we don't give it 25 years with chance of parole for a reason.

We don't treat people as animals, that was my point, so such analogies suck. :D

Ghost778 said:
Why does it cost more to imprison them on death row than just in prison them for like? because of the appeal process? Don't people imprisoned for life (which in Canada is what, 25 years? dumb) still get to do the appeal thing?

The appeals process for capital crimes and regular crimes is different - there are special appeals processes. The cost of death row itself is also higher - the extremely high segregation and security levels in death row are more expensive than general population.

If it's true then that's a good point. We really need to speed up the process and not play around with this appeal for 20 years bullshit.  Give them a year to come up with something. Even then it's 365 more days than they gave their victim.

Given the burden on the courts, it takes far longer than a year to expend the proper avenues of appeal. Heck, it often takes 6 months just to get to trial, and that's in Canada.

I don't really care whether or not the death penalty is a deterant though

Well, some people do. Again, I guess it's a normative thing and people will feel how they feel.

Might be a little graphic.
I read an article once about a guy who , if memory serves me right, raped and killed a mother while the daughter was forced to watch. Then took the daughter and made her crawl through a barbwire fence, put a shotgun up between her legs, fired, and waited and watched for 15 minutes while she died.
I don't want these people in my society.

That's fine, but it hardly substantiates an argument for the death penalty as it operates completely on subjective, normative feelings.

Justice IS about retribution.
A criminal takes something away from society so society takes something away from them.  takes away their money, privileges, freedom and in extreme cases their life.

We don't do the "eye for an eye" thing in Canada - rapists aren't raped, etc. It only serves to lower the society in which it is practiced. There exists a necessity for punishment and security for society - incarceration meets that necessity.

kincanucks said:

Please don't equate a vote in Parliament as either a 'free vote' or a true expression of what Canadians want as a whole.   Perhaps the decision of whether Canada should bring back Capital Punishment should be made by a Canada-wide referendum in which all Canadians could be heard.

There's a consultation of the public at least every 5 years (often sooner) and the fact that the death penalty has been a generally non-existent issue would suggest that Canadians are happy with our abstention from its use.

Caesar said:
I disagree with the death penalty for several reasons:

1-It is not proven to be a credible deterrant.

Thats only because of the lengthy appeals process that is inlvolved in the west (US).  It would have a deterrant value (for premeditated crimes) if it did not take 20 odd years to execute someone.  I don't have the exact stats (saw them in one of my classes), but in middle eastern and asian countries that use the death penalty and do not have lengthy appeals, the occurances of premeditated DP crimes is very low, specifically because the certainty of punishment and the speed of which it is carried out.

2-The chance of executing an innocent person is too high

With the advances in forensic technology that have been made in the past 20-30 years that is not very likely anymore.  DNA has assured the convictions of many perps (while exonerating others).

3-I don't believe the State has a moral right to kill (outside of national defence of course)

You can't have it both ways, either the state has the right to kill or it does not.

4-I have a moral objection to killing when other means are available. The whole "Thou shall not kill" thing.
 If you have a moral objection to killing why are you a soldier?  If you are throwing out a relegious reference then you should know that line of the commandmants has been misconstrued.  It is "Thou Shalt not MURDER" not "Thou Shalt not KILL" big difference.  The bible has many instances were killing shown as justifiable, hell the big man wipes out the entire planet, just cause he is a little pissed with everyone.

5-It seems that a major argument FOR the death penalty is to somehow make amends to the victims family, to make them feel better. Not only is the victims families feelings largely irrelavant in the discussion of someone's right to live, I don't believe that killing the murderer will make them feel better. You always here quotes like, "That was too good for him," or "I'm glad he's dead now, but it won't bring him back." And even if it did make them feel better, killing someone to make another person feel better is barbaric. Revenge is a knee jerk reaction borne not of reason, but of emotion.

Are you kidding, the victims families feelings are irrelavant?  So if you had a daughter and she was raped and killed, you would have no problem if the prosecutor decided that perp should be pled out and only serve 5 years, with time credit for pretrail custody.  Killing someone to make a person feel may be barbaric, but thats only your opinion.  You can gussy up the justice system all you want and use big fancy words to describe the reasons for existence, but it is about revenge when you boil it down.  Someone wronged you in some manner and you want to see them pay for it.  That is revenge.

6-There is a real alternative: life in prison.

And life does not always mean life, and if you are truly religous then you also believe in Hell, and the punishments you recieve there far outwiegh anything that could be done up here.  And in my view the quicker they get there the better.

You want to eliminate the chance of re-offence (which as has been pointed out is not really an issue anyway) - LIFE in prison, no option.

They can't reoffend if their dead.

Glorified Ape said:
That's a pretty vague basis on which to execute people. Establishing that "lack of timely medical intervension would have resulted in death", legally, would be difficult. Why don't we just execute people for every felony? Tax evasion - kill them, drug trafficking - kill them, armed robbery - kill them. It's draconian to say the least.

Actually there are jurisdictions in the states (and other countries) where premediated murder is not the only capital crime.  Some examples are Drug Traffic, Armed Robbery, Kidknapping of a minor, Sexual assualt, Sexual Assualt of a minor.

Also if Tookie and other were not afraid of death, why do we see these last minute public appeals (especially in Tookies case) using high profile people including celeberities touting the scums merit and why they should live?  Why, because they are at the end of the road, death is finally at their doorstep and not years away.  They have had years in most case to go for these stay of executions, but they wait till the last minute cause they are sh-iting bricks with realization that they are going to die.

There's a consultation of the public at least every 5 years (often sooner) and the fact that the death penalty has been a generally non-existent issue would suggest that Canadians are happy with our abstention from its use.

Really and where does one view these public consultations and who conducts them?

I did a quick search on public opinion about capital punishment and came up with:

http://www.cpa.ca/ogloff.htm

http://www.religioustolerance.org/execut3.htm

Public approval of the death penalty is currently about 70%. Public support is essentially the same in Canada, a country which abandoned capital punishment.

http://www.amnesty.ca/deathpenalty/canada.php

While this arctile shows a decrease in support for capital  punishment there are still more people that support it then who don't.

Hatchet Man said:
Thats only because of the lengthy appeals process that is inlvolved in the west (US).  It would have a deterrant value (for premeditated crimes) if it did not take 20 odd years to execute someone.  
Do you think our ability to expediate an execution in Canada would be better than the US'?
Hatchet Man said:
I don't have the exact stats (saw them in one of my classes), but in middle eastern and asian countries that use the death penalty and do not have lengthy appeals,

Shall we model our criminal justice system after the middle east/asia? I suggest not.

Hatchet Man said:
With the advances in forensic technology that have been made in the past 20-30 years that is not very likely anymore.  DNA has assured the convictions of many perps (while exonerating others).

No-one has suggested a higher burden of proof be required for death penalty cases (say, with DNA/videotape evidence). Based on the current system, you could convict and execute a person on circumstantial evidence. Not acceptable to me.

Hatchet Man said:
You can't have it both ways, either the state has the right to kill or it does not.

Wrong. The State does have the right to kill to defend   it's national interests/security, but it does not have the right to kill to defend the Criminal Code. If the rule is: "you have the right to kill, or you do not." then I guess they have the right to kill in defense of any Criminal Code violation, or any other violation of Government laws/decrees? I think not.

Hatchet Man said:
If you have a moral objection to killing why are you a soldier?

I said it has no right to kill when other alternatives are available. As far as soldiering goes, not only is it a completely different discussion (above), but in theory, soldiers go to war as a last resort, when all reasonable avenues have been exhausted. My assertion is that there is a reasonable alternative (prison), and that execution is voluntary killing, which I am against. But I can't stess enough - soldiering is completely different, and is not part of the discussion.

Hatchet Man said:
If you are throwing out a relegious reference then you should know that line of the commandmants has been misconstrued.  It is "Thou Shalt not MURDER" not "Thou Shalt not KILL" big difference.  The bible has many instances were killing shown as justifiable, hell the big man wipes out the entire planet, just cause he is a little pissed with everyone.

I wasn't really meaning from a religious perspective, more that as a rule, you should not kill when it's avoidable. Having said that, yes, from a religious perspective, I do have an issue with unnecessary killing, but I am leaving my personal religious beliefs out of this political discussion.

Hatchet Man said:
Are you kidding, the victims families feelings are irrelavant?

What bearing does a third party, no matter who they are, have on the guilt or innocence of an accused? Should the guy who murders a homeless man with no friends or family get an easier sentence? Are not all lives of equal value?

Hatchet Man said:
So if you had a daughter and she was raped and killed, you would have no problem if the prosecutor decided that perp should be pled out and only serve 5 years, with time credit for pretrail custody.
First of all, there is a reason family members of the victim cannot serve on the jury - their personal feelings, while valid, real and understandable, will colour their judgement and true objectivity, a requirement of justice, is impossible. But of course, if someone did something to any member of my family, I would want them strung from the highest pole.

Second, I am not advocating for 'pled out and only serve 5 years, with time credit for pretrail custody. ' - I'm not sure where you got that.

Finally, keep in mind that in a criminal trial, there is no 'victim', only 'witnesses'. The crime was committed against the Crown, not the person. For instance, a rape victim is refered to as the 'witness'. He/She has the same status, in theory, of that of an eye-witness.

Hatchet Man said:
Killing someone to make a person feel may be barbaric, but thats only your opinion.

Of course it is, but I thought that was assumed. Shall I preface everything I post with 'IMHO'? If my posts are my opnion, what are yours? Gospel?

Hatchet Man said:
You can gussy up the justice system all you want and use big fancy words to describe the reasons for existence, but it is about revenge when you boil it down.  Someone wronged you in some manner and you want to see them pay for it.  That is revenge.

No, it's about crime and punishment. It's supposed to be cold and objective, fair and firm. It has to be applied equally to all. That goes right from the police, to the courts, to the prison system. Ever notice the symbol of Justice? I don't know the name of it, but it's the blindfolded lady with the scales of justice....she is   carrying a scale, not a shotgun and a noose.

Caesar

Very well put. I agree with your statements %100. I am now and always have been against capital (and corporal) punishment. It serves no-one any justice and I for one am glad I live in a country without capital punishment. Sure there may be a lot of flaws with the legal, penal and law enforcement systems but as far as I am concerned it is the best one going. I would suggest to anyone who thinks life in a federal prison is a cake walk to go and talk to someone who has actually done time in a maximum or a medium security establishment, don't judge the person (a jury or a qualified judge has already done that) for why they may have been there but just listen to their stories, you may find it both interesting and disturbing at the same time. As for the deterrent value of the death penalty, I think that is BS, many states and the federal government in the US (for example) have capital punishment as an option but why then are their prisons so over crowded. Do you think Tookie was thinking about lethal injection when he committed his crimes, or how about people like John Gotti or Sammy "The Bull" Gravano,  were they worried about a possible death sentence? If it worked as a deterrant there would not be as many serious crimes committed don't you think?

Caesar said:
Do you think our ability to expediate an execution in Canada would be better than the US'?
Maybe, maybe not, we won't know till we try.

Shall we model our criminal justice system after the middle east/asia? I suggest not.
 Why not? What makes our so perfect.  They have lower instances of crime in many categories, why is that?  Its not because they give group hugs and therapy to offenders.

No-one has suggested a higher burden of proof be required for death penalty cases (say, with DNA/videotape evidence). Based on the current system, you could convict and execute a person on circumstantial evidence. Not acceptable to me.
 Then maybe we should, if thats what would be required to get the Death penalty back, then I am for it.

Wrong. The State does have the right to kill to defend   it's national interests/security, but it does not have the right to kill to defend the Criminal Code. If the rule is: "you have the right to kill, or you do not." then I guess they have the right to kill in defense of any Criminal Code violation, or any other violation of Government laws/decrees? I think not.
 Like I mentioned, murder is not the only capital crime in many jurisdictions.

I said it has no right to kill when other alternatives are available. As far as soldiering goes, not only is it a completely different discussion (above), but in theory, soldiers go to war as a last resort, when all reasonable avenues have been exhausted. My assertion is that there is a reasonable alternative (prison), and that execution is voluntary killing, which I am against. But I can't stess enough - soldiering is completely different, and is not part of the discussion.
 There is an alternative to war, appeasement.  War is voluntary state sanctioned killing to protect national interests (whatever they may be), Execution is voluntary state sanctied killing to protect, local/state/national interests (whatever they may be).

What bearing does a third party, no matter who they are, have on the guilt or innocence of an accused? Should the guy who murders a homeless man with no friends or family get an easier sentence? Are not all lives of equal value?
First of all, there is a reason family members of the victim cannot serve on the jury - their personal feelings, while valid, real and understandable, will colour their judgement and true objectivity, a requirement of justice, is impossible. But of course, if someone did something to any member of my family, I would want them strung from the highest pole.
 Third parties are involved in deciding guilt or innocence all the time (investigating officers, expert witnesses, character witnessess).  We are not talking about guilt or innoncence, we are talking about sentences which means the person has already been found guilty.  And in the determination of sentences victims definately do have a say (Victim Impact Statements), as they should.

Second, I am not advocating for 'pled out and only serve 5 years, with time credit for pretrail custody. ' - I'm not sure where you got that.
I used that as a hypothetical example to gauge how your would feel if that was the sentence handed to a perp who had raped and killed your daughter, seeing as how your of the mind that what the victims feel should happen is irrelevant.

Finally, keep in mind that in a criminal trial, there is no 'victim', only 'witnesses'. The crime was committed against the Crown, not the person. For instance, a rape victim is refered to as the 'witness'. He/She has the same status, in theory, of that of an eye-witness.
[/quote]

You sure about that?  I have been to a few criminal trials, and the crown reffered to the victim as the victim (usually prefaced with alleged).

Of course it is, but I thought that was assumed. Shall I preface everything I post with 'IMHO'? If my posts are my opnion, what are yours? Gospel?

If you could please, and yes from now on you may refer to me as the Reverend Father Hatchet Man  ;)

No, it's about crime and punishment. It's supposed to be cold and objective, fair and firm. It has to be applied equally to all. That goes right from the police, to the courts, to the prison system. Ever notice the symbol of Justice? I don't know the name of it, but it's the blindfolded lady with the scales of justice....she is   carrying a scale, not a shotgun and a noose.
I stand by my original statement.

How many thousands and thousands of taxpayers dollars does it cost to keep maniac criminals behind bars, guys like bernardo?

I wonder how many canadians would rather keep their money, and just have the guy shot in the back of the head? Im going to guess almost all of them.

Gramps said:
Do you think Tookie was thinking about lethal injection when he committed his crimes, or how about people like John Gotti or Sammy "The Bull" Gravano,   were they worried about a possible death sentence? If it worked as a deterrant there would not be as many serious crimes committed don't you think?

Tookie may not have been thinking about lethal injection when he committed his crimes but that is more likely due to the fact he probably didn't think he would be caught, that he woulb be punished, or that if he was punished it would happen quickly.  For any punshiment (fines, incarceration, execution) to have a deterrent value, there must be a certainty of getting caught in the first place (which is hard since most criminals don't think they will get caught, if they did they wouldn't commit crimes in the first place), certainity that when caught, events will happen quickly (which doesn't happen now), and certainty of punishment (ie no plea bargaining and reducing sentences).  I believe (someone can correct me if I am wrong), but when Sammy and Gotti committed thier crimes New York was a non-death penalty state.  So those examples have no bearing on this discussion.

Hatchet Man said:
Why not? What makes our so perfect.  They have lower instances of crime in many categories, why is that?  

Because, to put it bluntly, they have a less developed justice system, with barbarism and religious zealotry in place of restraint, secularism, and fairness. If you are suggesting that the Saudi system, for instance, is superior, to Canada's, go live there. Piss someone off and see how fair the system is. Better yet, ask William Sampson how fair it is.

Hatchet Man said:
Its not because they give group hugs and therapy to offenders.

I am against capital punishment AND group hugs. I would like to see life imprisonment for murder, and make it hard time. Not nintendo, smokes, and porno movies.

Hatchet Man said:
There is an alternative to war, appeasement.  War is voluntary state sanctioned killing to protect national interests (whatever they may be), Execution is voluntary state sanctied killing to protect, local/state/national interests (whatever they may be).

There is a difference. In war, there is no other means of achieving the goal - whatever that goal is. In capital punishment there is - life imprisonment. It's not like we'd just let them go without the death penalty.

Hatchet Man said:
Third parties are involved in deciding guilt or innocence all the time (investigating officers, expert witnesses, character witnessess).

Right, but we are not concerned with trying to make those people ( investigating officers, expert witnesses, character witnessess) feel better. We are intersted in obtaining factual information from them to assist the judge/jury in deciding whether or not the accused commited the crime. Justice has nothing to do with making someone feel better - it's about forcing someone to pay for their crime by revoking their liberty, protecting society from their criminal activity, and thirdly, act as a deterent to would-be criminals.

Hatchet Man said:
We are not talking about guilt or innoncence, we are talking about sentences which means the person has already been found guilty.  And in the determination of sentences victims definately do have a say (Victim Impact Statements), as they should.

I also disagree with these statements, and in my perception, they have little or no bearing on the sentence. I volunteered for several years in Victim Services, and I can tell you that very few in the 'system' (cops, the Crown, or judges) put much stake into victim impact statements. They are largely viewed as a nice gesture to the families, but are really just a show with no real merit in determining sentences.

Hatchet Man said:
You sure about that?  I have been to a few criminal trials, and the crown reffered to the victim as the victim (usually prefaced with alleged).

Of course they did. Their job is to win the case. One of the ways they do that is to try and paint a picture of 'victim vs. perpetrator'. However, officially, the victim is a witness. In fact, if anything, our system is set up that the Crown is the victim, as the crime was committed against it, not the actual victim.

BTW, you didn't asnwer my questions:

1-Does the murderer of a man with no family or friends deserve a lesser sentence?

2-If yes, are not all lives of equal value?

Caesar said:
BTW, you didn't asnwer my questions:

1-Does the murderer of a man with no family or friends deserve a lesser sentence?

2-If yes, are not all lives of equal value?

No he doesn't, all murderers should be executed.  However, despite what we think not all life is of equal value (not that i think thats right or wrong).  Example killing a cop is automatically 1st Degree Murder in this country (with very very few rare exceptions,  Like Bill Hancox, he was undercover and had not identified himself as a cop when he has stabbed to death, so the perps were charged with 2nd Degree Murder).  We also place a high value on celebrities, politicians, military etc. 

Hatchet Man said:
No he doesn't, all murderers should be executed.

Ok, fine. Then don't use 'appeasing the families feelings' as a justification if you'd execute the guy anyhow. If the absence of a grieving family won't save someone from the chair, then the presence of a grieving family shouldn't condem one to it.

Hatchet Man said:
However, despite what we think not all life is of equal value (not that i think thats right or wrong).    Example killing a cop is automatically 1st Degree Murder in this country (with very very few rare exceptions,   Like Bill Hancox, he was undercover and had not identified himself as a cop when he has stabbed to death, so the perps were charged with 2nd Degree Murder).   We also place a high value on celebrities, politicians, military etc.  

Agree with you there.

Hatchet Man said:
when Sammy and Gotti committed their crimes New York was a non-death penalty state.  So those examples have no bearing on this discussion.

They were charged under the RICO laws and I am pretty sure it was the fed who finally caught them if I remember correctly and I could be wrong here too but the Federal government in the United States has the power to use the death penalty regardless of state law. As I said, I could be wrong. By the way as a side note New York state has the death penalty once again (I cant remember though when they brought it back).

Michael Dorosh said:
Who cares if he runs the risk of doing it again, really?   Is that really the fear?   Most murders are between people who know each other.   If a guy kills his wife in a crime of passion - he's not likely to reoffend.   But that's not really the point, is it.  

I care.  My cousin was brutally murdered in 1983 by a pair of brothers who had been released from prison while the justice system hoped they wouldn't do it again.  One is set to be released in the next 1 1/2 years (the other is dead already).  If he was dead there would be no reason to worry that he would reoffend. 

Caesar said:
. Not only is the victims families feelings largely irrelavant in the discussion of someone's right to live, I don't believe that killing the murderer will make them feel better. You always here quotes like, "That was too good for him," or "I'm glad he's dead now, but it won't bring him back." And even if it did make them feel better, killing someone to make another person feel better is barbaric. Revenge is a knee jerk reaction borne not of reason, but of emotion.

Well, here's one family member that would feel tons better if the thing described above was dead.  Revenge, they say, is best served cold.  What's wrong with taking action that is based on emotion?  We do many things, good things, because of emotion.  To me capital punishment is two things:  1.  a punishment of the offender for committing a heinous crime.  2.  The ability of society to ensure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the offender will not reoffend.  I just can't wrap my head around the idea that these offenders actually have rights after committing some of the crimes they do. 

Gramps said:
They were charged under the RICO laws and I am pretty sure it was the fed who finally caught them if I remember correctly and I could be wrong here too but the Federal government in the United States has the power to use the death penalty regardless of state law. As I said, I could be wrong. By the way as a side note New York state has the death penalty once again (I cant remember though when they brought it back).

If that is the case (being charged federally vs state) then I stand corrected.  However Sammy did sing like a bird when he was caught, maybe the DP played a part?  He hasn't killed any one since then.  As well I was aware that New York brough back the Death Penalty (95 I believe), which was after the trails of Gotti et al., however it has once again been suspended as of about a year or two ago (I watch too much law and order) pending a review by the supreme court.

brin11 said:
I care.  My cousin was brutally murdered in 1983 by a pair of brothers who had been released from prison while the justice system hoped they wouldn't do it again.  One is set to be released in the next 1 1/2 years (the other is dead already).  If he was dead there would be no reason to worry that he would reoffend. 

You can't execute people based on what they MIGHT do.  You can't even execute people on what they PROBABLY will do.  DP is not, say again "not",  a deterrent, it's a judicial response to a crime already commited.  I wouldn't want to live in a state where people were punished for what they "might" do.

Gramps said:
I would suggest to anyone who thinks life in a federal prison is a cake walk to go and talk to someone who has actually done time in a maximum or a medium security establishment...
If it is so rough, why are 30% of inmates in our detention centers there for the tenth time or more ?? It has become a lifestyle for a number of people; instead of spending the winter on a park bench, they go to prison at taxpayers expense. There they get 3 hot meals, a roof over their heads, TV, pool tables, friends...

Back