• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The canauck Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

canauck

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I'm not a cadet right know but I'm going to join so could some one tell me if I should join air or army and I live in Hamilton so could some one tell out of the three units which one I should go to for army cadets, here they are, 62 RHLI, 2347 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders or 2865 Hamilton-Wenthworth Artillery.

canauck said:
Hi I'm not a cadet right know but I'm going to join so could some one tell me if I should join air or army and I live in Hamilton so could some one tell out of the three units which one I should go to for army cadets, here they are, 62 RHLI, 2347 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders or 2865 Hamilton-Wenthworth Artillery.
My name's Paul Johnson

Try getting surplus artctic combat boots,long underwear or underarmour don't forget to wash it after a while or it really stinks up(under armour does that sometimes). ;)

I'm probably going to join army cadets and I am kind ashamed that  it's not so military anymore unfortunatly my mom thinks otherwise. :crybaby:

Hi I live in Hamilton Ontario and I have a problem, my mom won't let me join army or air (DEFINITILY NOT SEA) cadets because she is sooo anti war I tried explaining to her that it's not pro military like days gone by and that it's more for fun be she won't understand that and she is really against the shooting even though it's with an  air rifle PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!! :brickwall:

i'm going to summer camp this year and was wondering if you guys have any prank ideas,good or bad to give me. :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

canauck said:
i'm going to summer camp this year and was wondering if you guys have any prank ideas,good or bad to give me. :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

Thought you said in another thread that your mother wouldn't let you join?

canauck said:

I did not think you were in cadets yet because your parents were against you joining? So which is it? Are you in cadets or are you not?

Milnet.Ca Staff

Have you considered giving her some more information, or maybe bringing her to an orientation night?
It might help with some misconceptions that she may have.
The Cadets Canada website is a good place to start.
http://cadets.ca/

Good luck!

recceguy said:
Thought you said in another thread that your mother wouldn't let you join?

You mean this one?  ;D

Troubles joining cadets

Hi I live in Hamilton Ontario and I have a problem, my mom won't let me join army or air (DEFINITILY NOT SEA) cadets because she is sooo anti war I tried explaining to her that it's not pro military like days gone by and that it's more for fun be she won't understand that and she is really against the shooting even though it's with an  air rifle PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!! 

« Last Edit: Today at 21:14:47 by canauck » 

My nephew is a Navy Cadet, he has a riot down at the barracks, not only learning a set of skills , but learning a way of life. If your not into Water then you have RHLI on James Street. It's got a long history and the place is pretty cool from the limited access i had through a friend who was a cadet there.

I'm unsure of any air cadets in hamilton, although i would imagine something exists for them.

Cheers.

Have you tried asking your dad to overturn the decision? >:D

But in all seriousness, the best you can do is explain to her that it's a youth organisation, that no one is required to join up upon entering and that contrarily to popular misconception, we're not trained to fight. As for Marksmanship, you can point out that there are several olympic disciplines that revolve around shooting.

A few arguments I used when convincing my parents:

-cadets have a lower crime and drug use rate compared to the "normal" youth of their age.
-Free and fun camps in which you are renumerated.
-possibility to receive a scholarship
-Great life experience and looks great on your resume.

The incongruous said:
Have you tried asking your dad to overturn the decision? >:D

But in all seriousness, the best you can do is explain to her that it's a youth organisation, that no one is required to join up upon entering and that contrarily to popular misconception, we're not trained to fight. As for Marksmanship, you can point out that there are several olympic disciplines that revolve around shooting.

A few arguments I used when convincing my parents:

-cadets have a lower crime and drug use rate compared to the "normal" youth of their age.
-Free and fun camps in which you are renumerated.
-possibility to receive a scholarship
-Great life experience and looks great on your resume.

Do you have any official research to back that up, especially your first argument.

For the crime rate, I heard that in a speech by an ACL representative before I enlisted.

As for scholarships:

Q: Will Cadet training affect my schoolwork?
A: Education is very important to Cadets. Cadet training is a hands-on, activity-based program that should complement your school studies. In fact, some provincial and territorial education boards accept Cadet subjects for school credits. As well, there are several scholarships available through Cadets

from the FAQ on the league's official website.
http://www.armycadetleague.ca/Templates/faqcadete.html

Back in the late 70's it was the opposite in my house. My dad wanted me to join and I didn't wish to. The thing that sold me was that in Saskatchewan during that time ( For grades 10 -12 ) being a cadet in good standing provided 1 high school credit per year. So that was 3 more High School credits for the required 21 total needed for Graduation.  I know every province is different and I have no idea if that process for High School credits still exist, however I am sure the same merits exist today. I as well would encourage you to get educated on what it is you wish to achieve through the cadet program then present that to your parents with a request to go with you and see for themselves what being a cadet means and entails.

Cadets can provide access to summer programs and leadership training that a lot of families simply don't have the financial means of providing for there kids.  From mountain climbing, white water canoeing, leadership training,  basic survival skills in the woods, and much more - it was free and I would never had access to those programs with my families financial status.  I wish you luck in your endeavor to join the cadet program and know that your effort to join is not wasted. The cadet program is a good one for teens and like anything else in your life ahead anything good is worth working towards.

canauck said:
Hi I live in Hamilton Ontario and I have a problem, my mom won't let me join army or air (DEFINITILY NOT SEA) cadets because she is sooo anti war I tried explaining to her that it's not pro military like days gone by and that it's more for fun be she won't understand that and she is really against the shooting even though it's with an  air rifle PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!!
There are four army cadet corps and two air cadet squadrons in Hamilton, Ont. as well as a Sea Cadet Corps
http://www.cadets.forces.gc.ca/directory-repertoire/local_e.asp?pr=6&urb=Hamilton
If you have friends that are in cadets have their parents speak with your parents.  Ask to enroll for just one year and if after that time she still doesn't like what is happening she can take you out. 

You may be interested to know that Boy Scouts was criticized for being too military.   

my mom and dad don't get along and live seperate so i can't get my dad to overturn,I got the research but she just won't except, She horrifified to let me join sea cadets (I'm not really interested in sea anyway), If I were to join air cadets it would be the mount hope squadron, whih is actully reaaly close and by city of Hamilton standards is in hamilton,and what really gets her is the shooting I tried explaining to her that it was with a pellet gun not a real gun and it was shooting yargets only, as well she really has something against the neighborhod PLEASE ADVICE :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back