• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Blood Pressure Superthread

RubberTree said:
A BP that low would give a MAP of only 54...technically not high enough to properly perfuse the vital organs

And that's why we treat the patient and not the machines.

Ya, I figured it was wrong. It has to be.  I've always been a runner and its always been low but that is the lowest reading yet LOL

If you are getting similar results with other machines it could be the size of the cuff. The cuff is sized for an average arm, if your arm is slightly smaller it will read lower. A larger arm will be higher. This isn't an issue for most people, but a doctor will know for sure.

During my medical I experienced a spike on blood pressure about 150/90. This is all news to me I have it and long story short I need to get my doctor to sign a paper before my medical gets sent off.

Ive read you can do things to bring it down without meds such as diet, exercise. I think it was just my nerves of being in the doctors office. My question is if there is a cut off blood pressure score which is the "cut off" to be accepted ... like 130/80?

Also, if I was prescribed meds would that be a deal breaker?

Most people normally don't get started on meds based on one reading...see your doctor, you might need to do a couple of readings over a couple of weeks.  Important things to do are make sure you're exercising, eating right, managing your weight, etc.  Cut off is the what's considered the high norm of 140/90.  If you're on meds, as long as there aren't any other conditions, SHOULDN'T cause a showstopper - but you'd have to be stable on them for some time first IIRC.

MM

Thank you for the reply, puts my mind at ease a bit (and helps lower my blood pressure)  ;D

ObedientiaZelum said:
I used to be 163 over 131 at my highes reading
*flexes*

That explains a lot ;)

For what it's worth, you may want to get a BP monitor of your own and get readings over a week, at various times of the day. Keep notes and see your doctor.

It could have been "White Coat Syndrome" where patients experience spikes when getting medical examinations, but are otherwise normal in other situations. Or it could be something else. But definitely see your doctor to follow up.

cupper said:
That explains a lot ;)

For what it's worth, you may want to get a BP monitor of your own and get readings over a week, at various times of the day. Keep notes and see your doctor.

It could have been "White Coat Syndrome" where patients experience spikes when getting medical examinations, but are otherwise normal in other situations. Or it could be something else. But definitely see your doctor to follow up.

Yeah I bought one today. Even after one day since my medical my pressure is down to 128/80 on average. Im not so concerned anymore.

Its pretty common for peoples BP to shoot up while getting a reading done, as said ways to get the BP down cut back on sodium do some cardio etc.

If it makes you feel better, I have the opposite problem. I have chronically low blood pressure, which consistently gets a raised eyebrow and followup questions when it's discovered.  I can't recall off the top of my head what my reading was when I did my medical, but I was repeatedly asked if I was "...feeling okay...?" (My most recent checkup was a 110/59-60, I'm pretty sure. Which, believe it or not, is far from the lowest it's been.  :-\ ) 

As I understand it, while a spike in blood pressure for whatever reason can have its complications, blood pressure that registers low can have its own array of difficulties as well. My file had to be reviewed (not only because of this issue, but for a couple of other things also), but thankfully everything turned out to be okay. 

It is possible to have drastic spikes if you are nervous. I usually sit around 110/70 but spike right before PT tests...which raises eyebrows from PSP . In fact I've been close to the BP cutoff. As said above, the best way is to have your BP checked over a period of time. Good luck!

Hello,
Finally found the topic I was looking for! Here is my situation:

I've applied, successfully completed CFAT, and interview. My application is on hold because of the spike in my BP reading during my medical exam. The senior medical staff presented me with a sheet for my doctor to fill out to rule out hypertension. After a couple visits to my GP he diagnosed me with Hypertension and has me starting on medication. My GP also indicated on the sheet that I am very healthy and FIT for all duties in the CF! All this aside they still refused approval of my medical because they need me to get results back from a cardiologist. If my family doctor has deemed me fit for all duties and good prognosis why is the CF medical staff sending me on such a run around? All these doctor visits require time off work, and a lot of waiting. I'm a very patient person but when presented these questions to the CFRC medical staff they tell me I still need to see the cardiologist regardless. I've seen the cardiologist in the past and he forwarded my charts to my GP. According to my charts( echogram and ultrasound) everything was in perfect order. If my GP had seen anything wrong he would have stated in my medical file and further noted in my CF medical sheet. I'm healthy, I exercise, I eat well, my doctor says I'm well above average in my health..Why can't the medical CF staff approve  me based on my GP's approval for duties?

Seanf122 said:
Hello,
Why can't the medical CF staff approve  me based on my GP's approval for duties?

Unfortunately, medical fitness cannot be determined by your GP. They are not the expert in the physical requirements of military service, therefore it is only the MO that can make the decision. The report from your GP will be reviewed by cf medical staff, however if they are asking for a cardiology consult, that's just what you're going to have to do. Medical appointments can be a pain, but if this is what you truly want to do, it'll be worth it in the end. Good luck!

The 2 times I have taken the test at a store using one of the blood pressure machines its been a little high. My question is can your application be denied if you have high blood pressure? or do they send you to your doctor and get them to verify that you're fit for duties?

I am going to my Family Doctor next week to just get a checkup to make sure I am healthy, but I have had surgery, broken an arm a few times and never ever have I been told I have a high BP.

J_M_J_D said:
The 2 times I have taken the test at a store using one of the blood pressure machines its been a little high. My question is can your application be denied if you have high blood pressure? or do they send you to your doctor and get them to verify that you're fit for duties?

I am going to my Family Doctor next week to just get a checkup to make sure I am healthy, but I have had surgery, broken an arm a few times and never ever have I been told I have a high BP.

You could be like me and "get nervous" while doing a BP test.........my Doctor wanted me t buy a cuff and just get used to having it done.

If you are found to have high BP on the enrollment medical, your family doctor will be asked to comment on it and show that it's more of a one off thing vice habit forming.  If you're one of these folks that has "white coat hypertension" (the internal medicine guys I trained with were from the school of thought that doesn't believe in it, hence the quotes), like Bruce said, you better get used to having it taken, because it will happen a lot more often than you realize.  If your doc says it's high, you'll likely have to get it under control for your application to go forward.

MM

I went to my doctor today, blood pressure is PERFECT! Not really worried at all for my medical now, besides the fact I am still not scheduled for one yet haha. I went to the eye doctor a week ago and my prescription for my glasses has barely changed, and my hearingis pretty damn good! So I am not really worried.

Back