• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Blood Pressure Superthread

sky777 said:
Who knows officially?
I know about  from 120/80 to 139/89  for men?
Is it true?

Seriously!  Have you thought to ask your Doctor.........or any Doctor?

Anything over 140/90 is classified as hypertension i.e. high blood pressure.  For a young person just joining the CF, BP is typically around 120/80.  Depending on any other co-existing illnesses e.g. diabetes, heart disease, the BP targets can differ.

CombatDoc said:
Anything over 140/90 is classified as hypertension i.e. high blood pressure.  For a young person just joining the CF, BP is typically around 120/80.  Depending on any other co-existing illnesses e.g. diabetes, heart disease, the BP targets can differ.
Thanks.I am 39.
My blood pressure is usually between 125/75 to 130/85.
But on medical exam I had higher so I was sent to my doctor and now he is evaluating me.
Point is when I am at home, at work and Pharmacy - I check my BP is OK.
But when i visit doctor it started to be higher, because I am stating to be worry about it.
How to manage with this?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/cfp-pfc-154/AN-Gapp1pg1-eng.asp
7. Hypertension. Many activities required by military duty (i.e., pushing vehicles, lifting heavy objects, carrying injured patients or hand-to-hand combat, etc.) normally result in blood pressure (BP) elevation. BP elevation can be more extreme and prolonged in hypertensive persons than in normo-tensive individuals. Therefore, it is important to try to determine if the member can withstand the sympathetic challenge associated with life-threatening emergency situations, such as could be expected to occur in combat settings, without suffering unfavourable acute sequelae. To limit the adverse medical effects of hypertension the MO should consider:
a. how well controlled is the member's hypertension and with what treatment regime?
b. whether there are significant side-effects to the medications? (i.e., drowsiness, dizziness, gout or even hypotension); and
c. whether the medications could be discontinued suddenly and for variable lengths of time without exacerbating the member's condition or jeopardizing the ability to successfully complete the duties?

George Wallace said:
Seriously!  Have you thought to ask your Doctor.........or any Doctor?
Sure,I had asked my doctor but he is civilian,my family doctors.
According him if it is below 139/89 - OK.
I need to know what people from CF say about.

sky777 said:
Sure,I had asked my doctor but he is civilian,my family doctors.
According him if it is below 139/89 - OK.
I need to know what people from CF say about.

We follow the exact clinical guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of high blood pressure, or hypertension (HTN) as it is properly called, as civilians do because there is only one standard Health Canada and the College has deemed the standard of care for the condition.

There is even a website:
http://www.hypertension.ca/

The only difference is that after diagnosis, a military clinician (MO, PA, NP) may start you on a different medication than is recommended because the side effect profile has less risk of bad effects than others drugs, dependant on your occupation. But that will be explained to you at the time.

PSP Fitness staff are authorized to conduct your fitness tests as long as you Blood Pressure is less than, or equal to 150/100 mmHg

I had a cousin who was diagnosed with hypotension (low blood pressure), Her doctor told her to eat a bag of chips every day until it got back up.

Life just isn't fair.

Back to the OP's question, I don't know the official rules, but I had much higher blood pressure when I had my medical than I do now (through diet changes and exercise) It was around 155/90 and I still passed my medical. It could have been that my doctor when asked about it commented that it was going down, but my medical still did pass.

Thanks for Rider Pride.Chilme, infantryian.
I appreciate your comments and posts.It was very useful and helpful.
During this week I checked my blood pressure at home ,at work  and clinic.
At home and at work I have between 120/78 and 130/85.But  when I was in doctor it was higher then 139/89.
Doctor said that I have " white coat syndrome".Because usually my BP is normal.

Holy smokes!

I did my blood pressure testing at shoppers two days ago and its really low!  really, really low.  is there such a thing as too low?  is this bad?  I feel great! Eating lots of fruit and veggies, running, biking, swimming, weights and one cheat day

Systolic = 086
Diastolic = 038
Pulse - 077

I started training in November (i hit the gym 3 nights a week and run 20k a week). hmm guess I better go to the doctor

WonderGirl said:
Holy smokes!

I did my blood pressure testing at shoppers two days ago and its really low!  really, really low.  is there such a thing as too low?  is this bad?  I feel great! Eating lots of fruit and veggies, running, biking, swimming, weights and one cheat day

Systolic = 086
Diastolic = 038
Pulse - 077

I started training in November (i hit the gym 3 nights a week and run 20k a week). hmm guess I better go to the doctor
Definitely!  I would hope that the machine you tested yourself on is a little out on calibration, cuz if it's accurate you're quite hypotensive, which can be just as, if not more, dangerous than hypertensive.

Among other things, it can cause light-headedness or sudden unconsiousness (esp after sitting/lying down for extended periods).  I would definitely get that checked out.

Systolic = 086
Diastolic = 038
Pulse - 077

you should be dead, the testing machine you tried was out of order.  Try another one, a few times to see if you have same results.  If you do, go see a doctor, 038 is very very low.

WonderGirl said:
Systolic = 086
Diastolic = 038
Pulse - 077

100% guarantee that the blood pressure cuff is not accurate.  Check it again on a different device.

Blood pressures in females tend to be lower than males, especially small fit ones...it's not unsual to see them in the 90ish systolic range and 87 is in that 90ish range.  It becomes a problem if there are symptoms that come from it being that low.  And yes, the machines are often out to lunch, especially if the cuff isn't the appropriate size.

MM

WonderGirl said:

Systolic = 086
Diastolic = 038
Pulse - 077

Just try a different machine, or two. One reading doesn't mean squat. As long as you don't get dizzy or lightheaded standing up from a chair certain times every month, or are not on any medications, you are most likely fine. Also you should worry if you are being tired all the time, not peeing much despite drinking lots, or are losing weight.

It is not considered abnormal for fit 20 something women to have lower blood pressures than average. 90/40 is not even close to being dead, nor is it hypotensive unless she displays symptoms. Especially considering she was in a sitting position with a generic cuff (which tends to read BPs low), and only taking it once.

edit to add: Nice to see the PAs are in almost complete agreement.  ;D

That was actually politer than what my original reply was going to be... :nod:

MM

WonderGirl said:
Holy smokes!

Systolic = 086
Diastolic = 038
Pulse - 077

A BP that low would give a MAP of only 54...technically not high enough to properly perfuse the vital organs... You may not be dead but you most likely wouldn't be functioning that well. I'd agree with the others, the machine was most likely faulty. Get it checked properly by a GP.

Back