• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Afghan guard who stops suicide bombers

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
The Afghan guard who stops suicide bombers
A gatekeeper's resolve has earned him the nickname 'Rambo' at a US base in Kabul.
By Mark Sappenfield | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor Page 1 of 3
Article Link

We share the story behind the story. KABUL, AFGHANISTAN -

There is trouble outside Camp Phoenix. The American base on the dusty outskirts of Kabul has called for English translators. The problem is, the Americans have now hired their translator, and a crowd of Afghan job hunters at the camp gate is getting unruly.

The US soldiers are nervous. One yells obscenities and waves his gun. The crowd cowers but doesn't budge. Then, another soldier steps forward, armed only with a thick wooden staff, wrapped in peeling red tape.

The name tag on his broad chest says "Rambo," and though he wears US Army fatigues, he speaks in perfect Dari, ordering the crowd to leave. It reluctantly disperses.

This is a normal day for Rambo, an Afghan who has stood guard here for more than four years, pledging his life to the American soldiers that rid his land of the Taliban. But on Jan. 16, Rambo's gatekeeping made him a bona fide hero.

On that day, Rambo wrenched open the driver's side door of a moving car and wrestled a suicide bomber into submission before he could detonate his explosives. President Bush lauded him in a nationally televised speech several weeks ago, and before that, slightly exaggerated accounts of his feat circled through cyberspace, pleading for America to offer him citizenship or at least a medal.
More on link

;D That is a great read. A real live Rambo, I think we can all learn a bit from him and his big red stick ;D

It is a great read, for sure.

Its nice to see that he knows there are times to fight with sugar and times to fight with salt (Gentle Rambo v. Wild Rambo)

CAW

Wow he's not just another movie hero anymore, he's now actually in the flesh and part of the brotherhood.

Wait a go Rambo :salute:

But does he go around shirtless and carry an M60 with infinite ammo firing from the hip  ;D.

But seriously the Americans should offer him citizenship or a metal.

That's not Rambo, that's Sheriff Buford Pusser.
  ;D

Never mind; probably before your time   ;)

During my tour in Afghanistan in 05, when I was with the NTC det, we often traveled into Camp Pheniox. Rambo was there. He is an ordinary Afghan male, a bit older and a bit bigger.

It was rumoured to me that he hates the Taliban because they killed his father and mother, and had his pregnant wife stoned in the stadium shortly before Sept 01.

And I have seen him use his stick (it was a red taped lead pipe at the time) to great effect on a disruptive Afghan civilian just outside the gate.

He deserves every bit of respect he gets for his dedication to the US forces in Kabul.

Just prior to this incident the unit that came in had made him remove the ACU uniform he had been wearing for the past year --- I heard he got it back after this one...

There are several similar stories of dedication throughout Afghanistan

Back