• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Text message blows up suicide bomber by accident

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
It doesn't get much better than this:

Text message blows up suicide bomber by accident

A "Black Widow" suicide bomber planned a terrorist attack in central Moscow on New Year's Eve but was killed when an unexpected text message set off her bomb too early, according to Russian security sources.

The unnamed woman, who is thought to be part of the same group that struck Moscow's Domodedovo airport on Monday, intended to detonate a suicide belt near Red Square on New Year's Eve in an attack that could have killed hundreds.

Security sources believe a message from her mobile phone operator wishing her a happy new year received just hours before the planned attack triggered her suicide belt, killing her at a safe house.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Text+message+blows+Black+Widow+suicide+bomber+accident/4172966/story.html#ixzz1CCjfey8m

daftandbarmy said:
The unnamed woman, who is thought to be part of the same group that struck Moscow's Domodedovo airport on Monday, intended to detonate a suicide belt near Red Square on New Year's Eve in an attack that could have killed hundreds.

Security sources believe a message from her mobile phone operator wishing her a happy new year received just hours before the planned attack triggered her suicide belt, killing her at a safe house.

The technology of the Godless Infidels can really be a b-tch...

Gee-had fail on you.

This made me smile -  :nod: then I grow outraged at our airport "security" which humiliates and embarasses 82 year old women that have survived breast cancer...but will let people cover their faces and breeze by security. :rage:
They search my wife....a 57 year old grandma,  but fear offending Muslims.  :rage:

I'm glad this B!TCH got blown up ;D

Epic Fail.

I spit coffee all over the place reading this.

I find this story a bit short considering the possible outcome and therefore surely missing some facts.

quote:
“The suicide bomber’s belt went off, and all that remained was her head,” one of the guardians of law and order who visited the scene told ‘MK’. This is probably a bit exaggerated: forensic experts state that the suicide bomber’s body was brought to them in satisfactory condition. “She died from the explosion, but all her body parts, and her face, are intact. This means that the explosion took place some distance from her.”
---
---
of interest:
quote:
The body of the suicide bomber is at the Bureau of Forensic Medicine. One of the investigators admitted that the suicide bomber’s head was left intact, which should facilitate identification. The description of what remains of the suicide bomber only takes a few lines: a leg fragment up to the knee, covered with hair; a leather, fur-lined boot; a patch of fabric from some black, shiny trousers; two pieces of insulated flannel under trousers; and a second leg in a piece of black trousers, located at a distance of 100 meters. There are some interesting findings, however: the suicide bomber apparently hid explosives in small pockets of a back support belt, which is usually used for radiculitis. Also found was a car alarm key fob - perhaps what was used to power the bomb. Next to the remains of the suicide bomber they also found... a bag containing the Holy Bible and Christian religious texts. Why a terrorist would need such books before his death is a mystery.

A COMMENT FROM AN EXPLOSIVES EXPERT

Judging from everything, the bomb was smokeless, uncovered plastique. I am certain that it was plastique because it is twice as powerful than TNT, and also 30 percent more efficient if is not diluted, of course. According to the rules of the genre, plastique is filled with nuts, bolts, and ball bearings – sub-munitions. The blast wave went downward, because the explosion was undirected. To create a lateral blast, you need to more strongly force it into a shape, while an undirected blast always goes downward and to the side. When the explosives experts determine what kind of material was used in the bombing, it will become clearer where they got it. If it was plastique, it could have come from the looting of warehouses in the Caucasus - a huge amount was plundered, sold, and exported after the war to South Ossetia. If it was C4 - the American counterpart of plastique - it could have been brought across the Georgia-Azerbaijan border, where the border is transparent and you can simply walk across.

article:
Was Moscow saved from disaster by a text message?

(Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

Sadly, the assumption that Islamic radicals were behind this one seems to fall short.  Possibly more due to tensions between Georgia (the country, not the US state!) and Russia.

Not all terrorists are muslim.

CEEBEE501 said:
I guess she received

*Puts on sunglasses*

Explosive news

Horatio Cane you break me up! ;D

Where's that cute little blonde CSI that hangs around with you!!

At least she wasn't texting and driving.......

;D  I love happy endings.  Texting apparently IS for idiots.

The Anti-Royal said:
She may have been a guest on the Farm Film Report with Big Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok.

She blowed up!! Blowed up reaallll good!!! ;D

daftandbarmy said:
...is thought to be part of the same group that struck Moscow's Domodedovo airport on Monday

And what group might that be ?
I find that since the "war on terrorism",
our tendancy quickly turns to the usual Islamist suspect everytime someone (anywhere in the world) blows himself up.
But there has been no proof to that effect, nor any islamist claim to the attack.....yet.

From wikipedia:
According to Russian newspaper account, the bombing was carried out by two suicide bombers - a man and a woman. Another three accomplices who kept distance from the blast are being hunted down. The source of the attack is still unclear. Security experts speculate the attackers may have been Islamist militants from the North Caucasus, though this has not been confirmed. The attack may have been an act of revenge for recent anti-militant operations, including the killing of Pakhrudin Gadzhiyev in Dagestan last Friday. Gadzhiyev was suspected of organising suicide attacks last year, the paper notes.
2011 Domodedovo International Airport bombing

xena said:
Sadly, the assumption that Islamic radicals were behind this one seems to fall short.  Possibly more due to tensions between Georgia (the country, not the US state!) and Russia.
Not all terrorists are muslim.
well said
I'm not weighing out Georgia either especially since tensions between the two have remained at a high level.

Back