• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tess' rememberance day challenge

There are still plenty of things you can do on a holiday.

Many places are open that are tourist attractions.
Movie theatres are still opens. 

Maybe, we could make it a half day event with everyone getting the morning
off.  Most places of employment wouldn't have their employees (non retail) come
in for a half day in the afternoon.  It would be written off (IMO).

This idea has real merit, only if the "flag flap" issue created by the media
is as serious as the claim it to be.

Haggis,

Borrowed your format and changed a couple of things before I sent it out - somehow the NDP got elected in my riding for the first time in a gazillion years.

As we say - now we watch and shoot.

MM

This isn't about challenges

I am probably more hard core than you are, but we're not talking here about people with our bent focusing on the military.

What in the name of jobe, are you trying to do?  You are now losing me.

Sorry GAP, I get it now,

My emotions were running a bit high  ;)

dileas

tess

Once again, if we can just focus on turning it into a national holiday? Whatever else YOU want to submit to your representatives in YOUR letter is up to you. This thread is not to debate the ins and outs of it, or anyone's specific feelings on the subject(s). It's to get you to send a letter to your MPs, etc. YOU can decide how and what YOU want included, if YOU want to participate.

Here is the response I received.

"Good morning Robert,
Thank you for taking the time to write to our office regarding your proposal to return Remembrance Day to a national statutory holiday.  We have in recent days received several letters expressing your wishes and concerns, and each of these correspondences will be brought to Mr. Hanger’s attention.  As we are sure you are aware, Mr. Hanger has always taken an active interest with regards to veterans’ affairs, so this will no doubt be of importance to him, especially as his constituents seem to also be participating in seeing that soldiers are properly honored.  As was stated before, this matter will be attended to by Mr. Hanger, so rest assured that your concerns have been duly noted.  Thank you again for writing.
Sincerely,
Office of Art Hanger,

Member of Parliament

Calgary Northeast"

I hate how they say 'we'; was this actually read by teh whole office?  And the signature says 'the office of  Art Hanger"; why not say "Bob Blook, Office of Art Hanger" - No accountability!

Regards,

The Office of Centurain1985

medicineman said:
Haggis,

Borrowed your format and changed a couple of things before I sent it out - somehow the NDP got elected in my riding for the first time in a gazillion years.

As we say - now we watch and shoot.

MM

Well, I received a response less than an hour after transmitting my e-mail:

Dear MWO,

Thank you most sincerely for your message below.  Mr. Lauzon has asked me to reply on his behalf.

You will be pleased to know that the ramp ceremonies for our fallen soldiers will continue to be fully open to the media.  Only the
repatriation ceremonies, at which the family will first be reunited with the remains of their loved ones, will be private.

I certainly agree with your view that Remembrance Day services should command greater attention from all Canadians, and I am happy to forward your recommendations to the offices of the Ministers of National Defence and Veterans Affairs and their respective Parliamentary Secretaries.

On a personal note, I am a former regular force Naval officer and current reservist, I have a brother preparing for his second tour in
Afghanistan, and my father retired as a CWO after 37 years of service. I believe that a strong majority of our colleagues within the military
community understand the ethos and tradition behind the Conservative positions regarding flag protocol and media involvement in the deaths of
our fallen comrades.

Thank you again for your message, and for your service to Canada.

Regards,
Aaron Hynes
Legislative Assistant to Guy Lauzon, M
P

Sent mine this AM.  We'll see what I get, out here if you ain't a farmer, you ain't manure, as it were.

As of now, have yet to receive even an acknowledgement.

But, I'm sure she's busy slagging the finance minister down...

MM

Here is my forum letter reply but it came quickly and with a name attached

Thank you for your recent letter regarding the Canadian Forces.  Please be assured that your letter will be brought to Mrs. Skelton's attention. 

If you have additional concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Mrs. Skelton appreciates the many opportunities to make a positive difference in her constituency.  Your phone calls, letters and emails make a big difference in keeping her informed on the issues that matter to you.

Sincerely,

Allison Sigstad
Administrative Assistant
for:  Hon. Carol Skelton, P.C.,  M.P.
Saskatoon-Rosetown-Biggar
Phone: (306) 975-6555  Fax:  (306) 975-5786
www.carolskelton.ca

No reply from Jason Kenney's office, either. And he's a Conservative, too...

I think what you all are doing is great.  Like fiddlehead, I too reside in NB and have noticed a larger attendance at local Remembrance Day Ceremonies.  Although this is greatly due to the fact that it is a stat holiday, many people do look at this as the opportunity to sleep in, go fishing or hunting, or spend a long weekend.  Actually, there are civie companies who are now making deals with the employees to work Nov 11th when it lands in the week and take a Fri or Mon off in lieu of the holiday.  We still have a long ways to go in order to make more people aware that they should all observe the holiday, but the provincial government declaring Nov 11 a holiday is a start.

Keep up the challenge and I wish you luck. :cdn: :salute:

Reply from the PM's office:

On behalf of the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, I would like to thank you for
your recent e-mail correspondence.

Please be assured that your comments and suggestion to have Remembrance Day
recognized as a National Holiday have been carefully noted. I have taken the
liberty of forwarding your e-mail to the Honourable Beverley J. Oda, Minister of
Canadian Heritage and Status of Women. I am certain that the Minister will give
your views every consideration.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to the Prime Minister.

B. Funes
Executive Correspondence Officer
  for the Prime Minister's Office
Agent de correspondance de la haute direction
  pour le Cabinet du Premier ministre

Reply from my M.L.A.:

Thank you for your email.  Jack also believes that all of our veterans deserve the full support and recognition of our society.  Jack asked me to pass on his appreciation of your ongoing advocacy for our military.

Your email prompted me to look up the official designation of Remembrance Day. It is currently designated as a General Holiday in Alberta and Canada – it is one of our Statutory Holidays.  With this designation employers are subject to employee payment in accordance with the Provincial Labour laws – if the day is worked then 1.5 times the normal day rate  is required to be paid, if the day is a regularly scheduled work day but the employee does not work, they receive straight time.  With the sales volumes that many stores receive, they have chosen to remain open on Remembrance Day.

Your suggestion of further signifying Remembrance Day with business closure is an interesting one.  Jack has asked me to forwarded you email to Jack’s colleagues in the Legislature. 

Thank you again for taking the time to write.  Jack greatly appreciates hearing from you.
Regards,

Doris
Doris Vandersteen

Constituency Assistant
for Jack Flaherty, MLA
St. Albert

Hi Tess,
            My comrade in arms and brother Highlander.
    Rememberance day was a day off of school in the past but the kids did not know why it was a day off!  So let us never loss sight of the fact it is to remember the fallen who gave all their tomorrows so we can have today!! All the best with this challenge keep this callsign posted on how its going!

:salute:
Dileas  Groucho

Received a letter in the mail today, from The Honourable John Baird, MP, Ottawa West-Nepean

I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge receipt of your recent correspondence dated April 28th, 2006 with respect to the lowering of the Canadian flag on the Peace Tower for our fallen soldiers.

The Canadian flag is lowered to half-mast on all federal buildings and establishments throughout Canada, including the Peace tower, from sunrise to sunset on Remembrance Day, November 11th, each year. The Government will continue to uphold this long-held tradition to endure the sacrifice of every individual is equally honoured and respected.

As a long-standing member of the Royal Canadian Legion (Bell's Corners Branch), I believe that Remembrance Day is a day of reflection and observation to honour our fallen soldiers. There is no greater loss to a family than that of a loved one and there is no greater loss to the Canadian Forces family than that of one of its own. Our soldiers' contributions and sacrifices in defence of Canada will never be forgotten.

The Liberal Government overlooked tradition and policy. The Conservative Government is returning to tradition, as well as following the protocol that came into effect under the Liberal Government.

In 2002, the Liberal Government suddenly began deciding on a case-by-case basis to lower the Peace Tower flag, along with the flags on all federal buildings. The Liberals' continued this policy until the fall of 2005, when they failed to lower the flag to honour the death of Private Woodfield in November of that year.

The Department of National Defence's four-point policy came into effect in the fall of 2005, under then Liberal Defence Minister, Bill Graham. The new protocol clearly states that flags will be at half-mast in four different locations. All flags withing the operational base, the home base of the member, and the National Defence Headquarters shall be at half-mast from the day of death until the sunset the day of the funeral. Also, all flags withing the service (Navy, Army, or Air Force) of the member shall be at half-mast from sunrise to sunset on the day of the funeral.

For your information I have enclosed an open letter from The Army, Navy, and Air Force Veterans in Canada, supporting our Government's decision on this very important issue.

Please be assured that I will keep your comments and concerns in mind during the ongoing discussions with my cabinet and caucus colleagues. Thank you once again for taking the time to write. Should you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact my constituency office at 990-7720.

Sincerely,

John Baird P.C., M.P.
Ottawa West-Nepean

Nice that it was mailed, however the letter didn't address the suggestion that Remembrance day be an actual holiday. Seems like a standard letter. Bah.

At least you got something - I still haven't received even a thanks for coming out from mine yet.

MM

Back