• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tent heaters

George Wallace said:
He did not mention what species.  >:D

A great big furry St Bernard may keep you toasty warm.  ;D

Don't you have to be a gunner for that?

What? Too soon? >:D

Jeeper creepers, look at all these replies. I've got some reading to do.

Yeah, the reason why I'm looking for a little heater thing is because our own from like WW2 keep on malfunctioning resulting in an ice cave for a tent on EVERY winter ex. Bad for morale.

Shepard said:

Yeah, the reason why I'm looking for a little heater thing is because our own from like WW2 keep on malfunctioning resulting in an ice cave for a tent on EVERY winter ex. Bad for morale.

If you're looking for a heater to use in a 5 or 10 man tent on winter exercise with the army you'll probably be wasting your money.  Lantern, 2 burner coleman stove and maybe the peak mountain stove is all most leadership will let you use.

If you're looking for ideas for private camping check out Zombie Squad forums, they have some pretty awesome winter camping threads over there.

Jarnhamar said:
If you're looking for a heater to use in a 5 or 10 man tent on winter exercise with the army you'll probably be wasting your money.  Lantern, 2 burner coleman stove and maybe the peak mountain stove is all most leadership will let you use.

If you're looking for ideas for private camping check out Zombie Squad forums, they have some pretty awesome winter camping threads over there.

Thank you for your imput. I'll give them a peek.

Jarnhamar said:

We allow our guys to use Whisper Light stoves in addition to the issue stuff. They run on naphtha as well.

ModlrMike said:
Personally, I think a companion of the appropriate gender is best tent heater.

Got a NATO Stock number for that?

On my JLC/CLC in the middle of Aldershot in February that's all we had was a Coleman stove and lantern in a 6 man arctic tent.

Put out enough heat you could sit around in your T-shirt and underwear.

Shepard said:

You must be doing something wrong. I have been in 10 man arctic tents at -35c, with only a Coleman Stove and a lantern going and they easily kept the temperature well above 0c.

cupper said:
Got a NATO Stock number for that?
Given the age/condition of the kit I usually get issued, I doubt this is the kind of item you want supplied by your QM.

Ludoc said:
Given the age/condition of the kit I usually get issued, I doubt this is the kind of item you want supplied by your QM.

That particular NSN would provide a wide variety of ages/shapes/sizes/functionality/etc. 

I use my Coleman heater now, and when I served we always used the lanterns to heat up the tent.
Once your acclimatised to the cold too much heat is not recommend keep it down in the tent

SVP make sure you have proper ventilation prior to using the heater.

Depends on your tent, i use a tigoat wood stove with my tigoat teepee and haul the thing on a one man sled.  Fuel consists mainly of blown down wood with a few big hardwood logs overnight. 

Back