• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

teens views on the army

Last year in my highschool of one-hundered-and-twenty students (roughly) only three went to a presentation set up by a recruiter. There were many more people that were planning on going to watch it but once they saw that it was a serious presentation and the recruiter was in uniform they immediately turned around (the majority of them were followers and once they saw one friend turn around they all turned around). Out of that three, only two stayed throughout the whole thing (myself and a friend). There would have been another that would have came but he was busy writing an exam, he later on joined the Army and has just completed his basic training.

Booya McNasty said:
I worked recruiting for a little bit.   I would hit a couple of of high schools each week for presentations.

The problem that I found was that the students didn't think of the military in a good way.   They also didn't of the military in a bad way.   It's that they didn't think of the military at all.

Example: My highschool. You can get information on whatever university, college, or trades program you want; by either reading one of the numerous posters in the halls, picking up one of the readily availible pamphlets, or by asking any number of guidance councillors. But dare ask about the CF..you get nothing but a business card and a blank, disbelieving stare.  :mad:

Guidance at it's finest  ::)

My highschool in Barrie actually got a good turn out, there was about 15-20 of us for the presentaion.

I agree with everyone that the CF is not "advertised" enough, or in the right way. When I tell my friends (junior-highers) of my plans to join the reserves and then maybe the regs, they think I'm signing my own death warrant or something. But then again the CF is portrayed as a peacekeeping force, so if we were to advertise everywhere we'd be like the Americans. Also, many think that they won't make it past the physical test or cannot handle the physical aspect of the military. The truth is, this ain't the Airborne, this ain't the Marines, the physical test is not as hard as portrayed in movies or tv shows. We need to show off our elite, the JTF2 by means of videos, posters, etc showing how well trained the JTF2 just are. We need to tell people that joining doesn't meaning going to Iraq or dieing in a week or two. Also, i think we should have military recruiters show up at junior high schools, to kids around the age of 14-18 because they can be influenced easily in this age group. Lastly I think we should advertise the cadet program more, as it is a great youth program that influences future decisions to join the CF greatly. btw neither of the two highschools my older siblings went to ever had a military recruiter drop by.

tmapplepeel said:
When I tell my friends (junior-highers) of my plans to join the reserves and then maybe the regs, they think I'm signing my own death warrant or something.

same here , everyone thinks that now im joining the infantry reserves, that im going to die. :salute:

tykotyko said:
same here , everyone thinks that now im joining the infantry reserves, that im going to die. :salute:

More bad news, they are right you are going to die, as we all will. As for the 2 VP Sergeants pitch on peacekeeping, I seldom take three hand word as the gospel. We all tend to hear what we want to hear. I am sure a SNCO in the PPCLI is rightly proud of the VPs and the CF fighting tradition.

I live in the USA and every school I go in has two very prominent things. First, posters of all the armed services through out the school and secondly Junior Regular Officer Training Program. This program is similar to our cadet programs and again each school represents a different branch of the service. The students take this as a credit course, the army, navy, air force or marines provide the uniforms and equipment. The "teachers" are motivated and fit retired members. These students must wear their uniforms to school once a week and attend certain functions such as Veterans Day Parades.

I think it is a win win, for the military, and for the students. Part of their curriculum is drill, citizenship and physical fitness. :salute:

tmapplepeel said:
btw neither of the two highschools my older siblings went to ever had a military recruiter drop by.

so true, especially out in BC. There is a big debate going on in the US about forcing recruiters off of campuses and highschools. It seems to be beginning here too in Canada (discussed on this thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35263/post-294818.html#msg294818 ).

Part of the Canadian ignorance is that parents hear these tails of US recruiters harassing their children thru constant phone calls and showing up at their door unexpected. Combined with what they hear in the news '2000th death in Iraq' and they (kids and parents) automatically think skeptically of the military.

"same here , everyone thinks that now im joining the infantry reserves, that im going to die."

- You are going to die.  Nobody gets out of life alive.  Tell your buddies that Reservists cannot be sent overseas without their permission, and that the Minister may transfer a member from the Regular to the Reserve component without his permision, but cannot transfer a member from the Reserve to the Regular component without the member's permission.  In short, you get to pick your missions. 

So, go out there, join up, have a ball, and wave at your friends who chose paper hats over kevlar ones.

Tom

career_radio-checker said:
so true, especially out in BC.

I live in BC, and we had recruiters come by my Highschool ...well it was kind of low key, and I don't think many people went ...But it happened!

2332Piper said:
But you forgot the kids who put on the tin foil hats (many of which later go on to university).

I thought they went on to teach at university  ;)

Back