• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tech or Op

Maritime_Matt

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey All-

I'm in the process of applying for the CF, reg force. Am aiming for the Navy- seems there's cooler uniforms, good chances to travel, posted on the coast. Did the aptitude test and the interview- I'm told I can do any job in the CF (except pilot). My question- which is better: Operator trades or Technician? It all looks interesting- who's going to advance quicker? Who's job is tougher? Any insights would be appreciated.

Cheers

Here is the deal about the NE Tech trades.

You can apply to go to Marine Institute in Newfoundland and get all of your academics completed all at once(2 years). From there you would do an equipment QL3 (3-6 months), then a QL4 OJT onboard (1 Year), and finally a QL5 equipment phase (6-9 months). At that point in time you would be a fully qualified Journeyman Technician.

The other route will take you through the school in Halifax (CFNES). This course will see you do a 1 year academic course followed by the QL3 equipment phase which is the same as the other program. You would then go to sea for your QL4 OJT and come back for another academic phase which is close to a year then the Equipment phase. At that point in time you would be a fully qualified Journeyman Technician.

Operator trades normally get promoted faster than technicians, but I find that technicians are treated a lot better in all aspects of their job.

If you want a challenge, are able to think on your feet and make decisions on your own, then I would recommend one of the NE Tech trades..... *ahem Comm!!*

Mind you if you are mechanically inclined, then the stoker trade may be for you.

Hope this is of assistance.

MM:

-Navy Operator (NESOP, NCIOP, SONAR OP, Naval Communicator) will move way quicker than Tech. As Operator has a faster (burnout) attrition rate and more turnover.

-Operator courses are 6 months while Tech are up two years and pretty demanding in the academics.

-Operator is long hours in the OPS room/Bridge in a tactical setting while Tech is usually doing planned maintence or trouble shooting.

-Naval Technical trades are very demanding in math and applied sciences

-some naval OPS trades recieve Spec Pay after the QL-5 level (NESOP,Sonar OP) NCI-OP (MS and above) Comms (unsure)

The technical trades in my humble opinion are the way to go as they receive training that is civilain recognized and equivalent. Tech Trades are very hands on and deployed in all aspects of the ship (boarding party/diver/scullery).

Operator trades are interesting as well and mentally demanding as you are closed on Radars, EW Systems, Sonars, Fire Control systems and the Bridge. Making long hours of concentration.

The Navy is the way to, either way have a good math background for both disciplines.

Good luck and take your bonamine.

NCR Crow -12 Years Sea Time and counting

NCRCrow said:
-some naval OPS trades recieve Spec Pay after the QL-5 level (NESOP,Sonar OP) NCI-OP (MS and above) Comms (unsure)

The NAVCOMM's do not at this time receive Spec 1, but they are working towards achieving it.

Bonamine.... knock on wood, I've never taken it in my life and I've been in SS 9 off the Grand Banks!!

Lucky u! I have been blessed with a queasy stomach.

I remember on HMCS Margaree in 92 off the coast of Bermuda, I almost pulled the plug.   :-X :crybaby:

Glad I stayed on... The Canadian Navy is the best! :cdn:

Crow

The only thing with me, the rougher it gets, the more groceries I pack away....

During that FishPAT in S/S 9, I must have been eating hourly....

Did an hour on the helm, and we had waves crashing over the house of the bridge.... Just like a day on a roller coaster!!

Back