• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tattoo Thread - including current policy [MERGED]

OK, I did use the search function and most of the topics that came up haven't been posted in in either years or they are locked, so I can't really respond.

I currently have 9 tattoos and 11 piercings. All my tattoos can be covered by uniform and I don't believe any are offensive in anyway. My tattoos are on my back, chest, ankle, calf, both forearms and both wrists. Also, most of my piercings are noticeable, except for maybe 2. The piercings that show are in my ears and lip. I'm assuming I'd have to take out at least my ear piercings and my lip piercing for sure. I'm not sure about tongue or the other piercing which is below the neck....

Now, my questions in regards to tattoos and piercings are: how will they affect the application process?? And which piercings would have to be removed?? Also, would I only have to remove my piercings while I'm on duty (should I be accepted) or would they have to be removed permanently??

Thanks for any answers.

MilitaryGirl88

Aslong as the tattoos are non offensive you shouldn't have any issues.

When on duty you would have to remove your lip an tongue piercing. Off duty wear what you want.  If you are off duty, on course an on base I'd recommend staying in line with the on duty standard.

Also; I dunno what other piercings you have but you may have to remove them during training/field for hygeine issues, etc.

You can most likely find more info on this subject by searching the forums too. Aswell as talking to the people at whatever CFRC you are dealing with.

I may not be the most informed on the subject but I have definitely read multiple times that the only piercings allowed (and jewelry in general, other than a wedding band and watch) are simple studs in the ears for women (1 piercing in each ear.) At least when you're on duty... not sure about when you're not in uniform.

I think if all your tattoos aren't visible you should be good, but I guess you should check with your CFRC. Also, the CF Dress Instructions (don't have a link unfortunately but it's been posted here a bunch of times) answer a lot of questions about appearances.

ETA: and the recruiters I have spoken with have mentioned a bunch of times that if they want you to change something, they will tell you. I don't think they expect you to walk into the CFRC knowing all the rules. From what I've heard, the Forces will tell you what they want, there's no need to assume anything.

Bianca said:
I think if all your tattoos aren't visible you should be good

Uh.. you can have visible tattoos in the CF.. lots of people with hand tattoos, tattoos on forearms an even full sleeves, etc.

I didn't think I'd have too much of a problem from my tattoos.

It's more so the piercings... Like I have 8 in my ears, 1 in my tongue, 1 in my lip and 1 below the waist (I just got that one a couple days ago). The recruiters or medical staff would never know unless they gave me a full physical, however I'm not about to lie on my application.

Also, you can't really see my tongue ring unless I'm yawning or yelling, lol. And it hasn't been taken out in 4 years, but if that's the requirement while on duty then I'll take it out. As for my lip ring, is it possible to put a clear plastic one in so the hole doesn't close over??? And the one below the waist would that have to come out??

Thanks

MilitaryGirl88

-Skeletor- said:
Uh.. you can have visible tattoos in the CF.. lots of people with hand tattoos, tattoos on forearms an even full sleeves, etc.

Oops I guess I didn't finish my thought. I was going to add that if they are visible they shouldn't be offensive. (Obviously since I've seen Van Doos with their knuckles tattooed.) Sorry, still new, still learning.

Technically, you are only allowed to have your ears pierced (one only, centered in the lobe) in the military.  As far as the other piercings, you will have to remove the visible ones while in uniform.  Including the tongue.  You may not be able to see it, but some people can tell if you have one, just by the way you talk.

MilitaryGirl69 said:
I didn't think I'd have too much of a problem from my tattoos.

It's more so the piercings... Like I have 8 in my ears, 1 in my tongue, 1 in my lip and 1 below the waist (I just got that one a couple days ago). The recruiters or medical staff would never know unless they gave me a full physical, however I'm not about to lie on my application.

Also, you can't really see my tongue ring unless I'm yawning or yelling, lol. And it hasn't been taken out in 4 years, but if that's the requirement while on duty then I'll take it out. As for my lip ring, is it possible to put a clear plastic one in so the hole doesn't close over??? And the one below the waist would that have to come out??

Thanks

MilitaryGirl88

If you want to join you will be giving up some of your "individualism".    You can put the clear plastic one in sure.. but if your instructors see it an they don't like it you will hear about it.. regardless if its clear or steel you are still wearing a piece of jewlerry/piercing that isn't authorized in uniform. An even you don't think your tongue ring is visible would you really want to take the chance of your staff, etc seeing it. Also again.. professionalism.. if you know you shouldn't have something in while in uniform why not just follow the rules.. makes life a bit easier especially on course.  As for the one "below the belt".. keep it in but if it gets infected during the field or whatever.. might cause issues. 

When you show up at the CFRC the Recruiters an Medical staff will be more than willing to explain the rules an pros of cons of these things.

Skeletor,

I don't have a problem with giving up some of my individuality or taking out the piercings that would be more noticeable. I was just wondering if I could put the clear plastic one in my lip because I haven't had it that long and I don't want to have to re-pierce it a 3rd time, lol. And I think by the time I apply and hopefully get accepted into the military the one below the waist will be fully healed. But again, I'll take out all the piercings they tell me I have to take out, I have no intention of breaking rules as simple as this, or any for that matter.

Back to my tattoos though, I read somewhere that tattoos on the chest are not permitted?? Is that true?? 

MilitaryGirl69 said:
Back to my tattoos though, I read somewhere that tattoos on the chest are not permitted?? Is that true??

Chest tattoos are fine. I have a tattoo on my chest an my ribcage an they are all allowed.

I had to take out my piercings (ears,tounge,nipples). I've never seen my dad so happy. Tounge Ring might not be noticable for some people, mine was definitly not but I would not want to be on the recieving end when instructors happened to notice it. My Tattoos are not a issue and I have full sleeve and a half sleeve on the other arm,including my hands. Losing the jewelery was a small change in life, time for me to grow up.

Hmm..... Would a Canadian Military Personnel find my tattoo of the United States Marine Corps Emblem and Motto on my back offensive?? It's a memorial tattoo for friends I've lost over seas that served in the USMC.... The tattoo has the USMC Eagle Globe and Anchor with the motto "semper fi" and phrase "I love you always and forever" around it.....

No.. CF pers would not be offended by an EGA..    things like swastikas, etc are the "offensive" tattoos.

But be ready to explain that tattoo though as it will most likely draw some attention an questions.

Ok, good to know.... I also have the rebel flag as a tattoo. However, I am NOT racist. I did have to explain that tattoo when I first applied years ago, I'm sure I'll have to explain the meaning behind it again.... But it shouldn't cause a problem??? It's always covered by clothing....

Ok.. I know you're anxious, nervous, etc about joining but RELAX stop sweating these things. Just wait out untill you show up at the CFRC, show them your tattoos, etc answer their questions give them your honest answers an so forth.

Theres so much better things to be thinking about an doing before enlisting like PT.. making sure you're life is shorted out so if you do get picked up an get sent off to Basic things won't fall apart back home or whatever.

Thanks, Skeletor.

I have most things sorted out here in the event that I don't get accepted. And I am working on my PT, as I know I have to strengthen my ankle up again before I can re-apply, (torn ligaments).

I was just curious about the tattoos and piercings. Thanks again for you're help.

MilitaryGirl88

The regs say one stud in the centre of each lobe. That's it. No clear plastic keepers and no tongue stud.

You are joining the military. Regs are to be followed, not skirted and not open to individual interpretation.

Show your tats to the RC and ask if they think your tattoos are offensive.

The RC are the ones that are going to decide, not us. Ask them.

Thanks, recceguy, there wasn't any reason to be so rude.

I'm pretty sure I said I had NO problem taking out my piercings. I was merely curious as to whether or not I could keep a clear plastic one in my lip, I haven't seen anywhere in the regs that I can't.

As for my tattoos, I was just curious as to what others thought. My only tattoo of concern is my rebel flag. I know for a fact that my other tattoos are far from offensive.

MilitaryGirl88

MilitaryGirl69 said:
I haven't seen anywhere in the regs that I can't.

You certainly have. The regs state one stud earing in each ear and even specify the permited location of it. That is all that is allowed. The regulations tell you what you CAN have, it doesnt need to say what you cant.

MilitaryGirl69 said:
Thanks, recceguy, there wasn't any reason to be so rude.

??? You mistake a factual post that is straight to the point and gives you exactly the advice that you were looking for for rude? I don't see it but whatever.

I think we're done here.

Usual caveats

Back