• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tattoo Thread - including current policy [MERGED]

FortYorkRifleman said:
I need a waiver for my application process. I have two grim reapers that apparently, according to my MCC, may be deemed offensive

Well, if you're a civilian and you already have a tattoo that is in violation of the policy, I can't help you out. I have no experience with the current recruiting process.

Blowtorch..............as per Sons of Anarchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDSjo553oII

The Grim Reaper is offensive....really?

Any tattoo can offend someone. If you have one that proclaims your a Christian, someone somewhere will take offence.

Hamish Seggie said:

Any tattoo can offend someone. If you have one that proclaims your a Christian, someone somewhere will take offence.

They're called "damn near everyone else".

Hamish Seggie said:

I was told it may be considered "blasphemous" and when I took pictures of them and sent them along with explanations I wrote what was essentially an essay explaining why they weren't, what they meant, my experience in public with them (which has been nothing as you can't see them unless I'm shirtless) and why I shouldn't be denied based on having them. Apparently a lot of people are being denied this year due to "offensive, blasphemous, vulgar" tattoos. The funny thing is and the thing that actually pissed me off was another guy I had my medical with had a naked girl tattoo on his shoulder but said he didn't need a waiver because he never told the Interviewing Officer he had one. So for being honest I may lose out on a career

FortYorkRifleman said:
I was told it may be considered "blasphemous" and when I took pictures of them and sent them along with explanations I wrote what was essentially an essay explaining why they weren't, what they meant, my experience in public with them (which has been nothing as you can't see them unless I'm shirtless) and why I shouldn't be denied based on having them. Apparently a lot of people are being denied this year due to "offensive, blasphemous, vulgar" tattoos. The funny thing is and the thing that actually pissed me off was another guy I had my medical with had a naked girl tattoo on his shoulder but said he didn't need a waiver because he never told the Interviewing Officer he had one. So for being honest I may lose out on a career

You realize you're fighting a mindless bureaucracy right?  You have learned your first very important lesson of your military career, COA, otherwise known as Cover Your A##.

RoyalDrew said:
You realize you're fighting a mindless bureaucracy right?  You have learned your first very important lesson of your military career, COA, otherwise known as Cover Your A##.

And here I thought being honest and forthcoming was seen as honorable.

FortYorkRifleman said:
And here I thought being honest and forthcoming was seen as honorable.

Good luck with your application. Should you later release from the CAF and seek employment with another organization, you may wish to read this,

"Tattoos: A Word of Warning"
http://firelink.monster.com/benefits/articles/929-tattoos-a-word-of-warning

"A candidate should understand that having a tattoo may affect his or her chances of getting hired."

mariomike said:
Good luck with your application. Should you later release from the CAF and seek employment with another organization, you may wish to read this,

"Tattoos: A Word of Warning"
http://firelink.monster.com/benefits/articles/929-tattoos-a-word-of-warning

"A candidate should understand that having a tattoo may affect his or her chances of getting hired."

There is no list that was presented to me stating that my particular tattoos were offensive, just that "they may be deemed offensive" and I need a waiver. What is the standard? How can they justify that they are blasphemous, vulgar, offensive etc?

FortYorkRifleman said:
There is no list that was presented to me stating that my particular tattoos were offensive, just that "they may be deemed offensive" and I need a waiver. What is the standard? How can they justify that they are blasphemous, vulgar, offensive etc?

If they're likely to discredit the CAF if shown on CBC, then that's the test. No one here is going to be able to give you an answer on whether the recruiting center is out to lunch until we can see the specific tattoo in question. Otherwise its a lot of hypotheticals.

PuckChaser said:
If they're likely to discredit the CAF if shown on CBC, then that's the test. No one here is going to be able to give you an answer on whether the recruiting center is out to lunch until we can see the specific tattoo in question. Otherwise its a lot of hypotheticals.

While I can't see anything offensive in the low quality and blurry pictures, I also can't make out what is written. Care to enlighten us?

recceguy said:
While I can't see anything offensive in the low quality and blurry pictures, I also can't make out what is written. Care to enlighten us?

The first picture is just the reaper with text unrelated, while the second reads at the bottom "These violent delights have violent ends", a quote from Romeo + Juliet

FortYorkRifleman said:
The first picture is just the reaper with text unrelated, while the second reads at the bottom "These violent delights have violent ends", a quote from Romeo + Juliet

FYR, you may wish to add, and compare, the pics of your tattoo(s) to this 15-page photo topic,

Tattoo Photo Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/4024.0.html

PuckChaser said:

According to my MCC, it doesn't matter where the placement of the tattoos are. Both of the my tattoos that are deemed "maybe offensive" can be covered up and are usually covered up with just a short sleeve shirt. So its unlikely anyone will see it unless I am shirtless. I imagine the tattoo policy has changed for this fiscal year because when I joined the Reserves in 2012 the Grim Reapers were not an issue

I think your MCC is being a knucklehead.

I would interpret the tattoo policy to mean those that are clearly offensive. Any tattoo "may" offend somebody, but some tattoos will offend everybody. I'm sure it's the latter that we're on the lookout for.

ModlrMike said:
I think your MCC is being a knucklehead.

I would interpret the tattoo policy to mean those that are clearly offensive. Any tattoo "may" offend somebody, but some tattoos will offend everybody. I'm sure it's the latter that we're on the lookout for.

I hope the PSO who he's sending the pictures to sees it that way. I want to believe they'll see the two tattoos in question as not being "vulgar, blasphemous, racist, sexist". My worry is I get a PSO who interprets it that way.

I understand neck tattoos, for the most part they are pretty bad looking anything above the collarbone. What I find silly though is I can have full sleeve tattoos showing while my combat sleeves are rolled or wearing No. 3 Dress in short sleeve but if I have a chest tattoo visible through my open collar... it's big no-no (which sucks because I'm going to have unfinished work on my chest until my CRA).

RedcapCrusader said:
I understand neck tattoos, for the most part they are pretty bad looking anything above the collarbone. What I find silly though is I can have full sleeve tattoos showing while my combat sleeves are rolled or wearing No. 3 Dress in short sleeve but if I have a chest tattoo visible through my open collar... it's big no-no (which sucks because I'm going to have unfinished work on my chest until my CRA).

:facepalm:

Back