• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tarps/Grounsheets

Blackhorse7

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking for some advise on the use of tarps or groundsheets.  Are they worth packing along with a tent?  Specifically, I mean used in a civvie side camping style situation.  I have to say that being Armoured (former), we did not use our grounsheets too often.  It was usually the crew tent or even the smaller arctic tent that we packed around.

depends really on the kit you have, and what kind of camping you plan on.

If your tent has a flap that hangs on the outside that offers an outdoor cover, not much call. If it doesn't, you can use your groundsheet to make a dryer admin area for anything you want outside of the tent.

If you plan on doing some Hiking way out in the boonies, you can bring it along in case anything happens to make a small hoochie, or for use in a makeshift shelter. Personally though, for that use, I always just brought a few astronaut blankets.

Never bothered bringing a groundsheet with me on civvie camping.

Sig_Des said:
...Personally though, for that use, I always just brought a few astronaut blankets.
I loath those blankets when people actually try sleeping with them...every time they move you wake up!

Tents are fine, they offer total protection from the elements but are heavy to pack and take longer to set up (not really a big deal civvy side). Tarps work when theres something to tie them off to, if your on a mountain might want to go with a tent.

I prefer tarps, you can get a 10 dollar tarp from canadian tire or a $150 SilTarp that weighs nothing and offers the same protection, for army use I no longer use the issue groundsheet as it's bulky and heavy, I bought a SilPoncho which weighs nothing, really small, and is bigger. Get a tarp and tie shockcord to the all the ends, shock cord is basically bungee cord but you can get it in different tentions and widths. They also have no hook so you can use whatever quick release knot you like.

When using a tarp also use a bivvy sack for sleeping bag protection. The combination of the bivvy sack and tarp means you don't need a groundsheet, it's less confined and gives you a better command of what is going on outside your sleeping area.

Tarps take practice setting up, and the way you set it up depends on whats around you and your own creativity: Chop down a sappling and use it as a centerline, or using two logs laying parellel to tie your corners off, the way you set it up is up to you.

If your backpacking I would take either a tarp or a tent due to weight. However a SilPoncho + a tent wouldn't be a bad idea, you can use the poncho as a rainjacket and the tent for sleeping and if you need it then the poncho will quickly convert to a spacious tarp for 1 person.

Astronaut blankets are a good emergency backup, I always carry one on my body. I wouldn't pack one with the intent on using it as my primary shelter, considering a 20 dollar tarp from canadian tire will do a much better job and provide more durability.

I always bring a tarp when camping. Never know when you might need it.

Wow, post #666, paranoid  ;D

I almost always carry a tent (bivi if solo) and a tarp when camping...Siltarps are the cat's meow, but a little pricey if you're looking for occasional use.  I've also carried one of the silvered tarps (not the "space blanket" but similar) on some trips...depends on weight etc.

I've hootched it here on the West Coast, even did the West Coast Trail with a fellow mbr and we brought our shelter halves and issue bivi bags with lots of success and some funny looks  ??? You're going to sleep in that!?!  Still had an extra to cover our rucks with overnight.

If in the mountains, I always bring a small 3- or 4 season tent, it can get pretty ugly trying to stake out a bivi on a rocky shelf, so the freestanding tent is my choice, 2-3 person size maximum so you can use a smaller clearing/shelf/ledge/flat spot.

Many times I see people set up a tent, and then set a tarp overtop of it...it's great if you're worried about UV breakdown of a fly on a long trip or base camp, but usually if they'd set up their tent properly, fly nice and tight, and taken care of the tent in the first place, it wouldn't be necessary.

I recall one storm where the rain drops were so heavy you'd see them hit the fly, pause, reform on the inside, hit the tent body, pause, and then reform inside the tent....not a pleasant night.  I've also seen the 4-season "bombproof" tent turn into a bathtub because buddy was too lazy to stake out the fly, but the bottom was still nice and waterproof.

Hope this helps,  watch out for the bugs up there!

DF

Back