• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

target practice

D

damdam

I‘m going into reg infantry, and wondering what a good weapon to use for target practice would be to prepare me for the C7.?

Use a .22 and concentrate on technique and position. Many small arms instruction sites out there.
Have no fear you will be well taught upon arrival!
Good luck.

A .22 is fine for plinking and honing skills but get an AR15 to really train for the C7 as it is virtually the same rifle.All you need is your Restricted PAL,the Restricted course is availible at any gun club worth a salt,and you will have to fire it only at an approved range.The AR as a C7 trainer is the only way to go.

I thought I‘d just throw this in here:

If, however, you have no previous experience with firearms (like me, pour example), I was suggested to avoid trying to learn beforehand. Doing so might get you started off on the wrong foot, learning techniques and habits that you‘ll have to break once the military teaches you their preferred way of shooting.

I had a big desire to learn before entering the military, but that statement made sense to me. Besides, I think it‘s a safe assumption that I won‘t be the only one in Basic without firearm experience.

The military no longer has a set way of shooting,you will learn the basics but after that how you apply them is up to you,for the most part shooting is pretty much up to the individual unless you are not getting results any Range Officer worth his salt will let you go ahead with your own technique.
Learning how to shoot before hand is a good thing as it gives some experience with the finer points of marksmanship.Also it will take away the fear factor that alot of new shooters have when handed a weapon for the first time ,as most Canadians nowadays hve been brought up with the misguided understanding that guns are evil and are to be feared....Thank you urbanite Liberal a##holes for that one.

Just go pick up a $1500 assault rifle and start blowing away paper targets that look like men and say your getting ready for the army :)

If our friend picks up bad shooting habits though it‘s going to be twice as hard for him to learn the way he‘s suposed to shoot with the army (as far as passing basic training goes).
Get a cheap .22 and practice on that i‘d say. Gets you comfortable with shooting, holding it, breathing, trigger control etc.

Since getting to shoot a lot is one of the primary reasons I want to join the infantry, I should probably ask: How often does the infantry private get out on the range? how many rounds do you get? Does the C7 go full auto, burst, or is it just semi auto? Has the CF started using the laser system for training in mock combat yet? I read something about it being fully operational in 2006, with the capabillity of pitting 1000 troops vs another 1000.

First off like I said earlier the Army will give you the basic principals on how to shoot,which is easier done if the shooter has some experience,nothing worse than someone who is afraid of his own weapon.The level of weapons instruction given at basic training is just that basic,any bad habits will be long gone by the time he hits the range for a PWT.
A .22 is fine fora beginner to cut his teeth on but if you want to practice for using a C7 the AR 15 is the way to go.The biggest thing is getting used to the noise and recoil (not much of either) most new shooters to the C7 who have no firearms experience (I blame their parents) develop a flinch that takes years to get rid of
As for range time it depends on your unit,and what level of training they are doing.Every Inf unit goes through a period of training annually that lasts a couple of months which take syou from range work to Combat team level live fire attacks so in short you will fire hundreds of rounds a year not including your annual PWT (Personal Weapons Test)and it‘s work up.
The C7 fire in both semi automatic and full auto modes.The laser training equipment has been in use since the early ‘80s in one form or anoth from SAWES to MILES to the new versions,all are good for training large amounts of troops but nothing compares to live fire or at least SIMMUNITION training.

I also suggest you master the words BANG BANG.
Ammo was is short supply sometimes.
Also, keeps your weapon clean on course=sleep.
Plenty of ammo as you move along though but do not forget. BANG BANG.You will feel silly and buddy will say you missed me but that is all part of the early high tech training offered in the 80‘s.

I know what you mean about learning your old habits. I can shoot a lot better when i hold my breath and fire off 5 rounds in rapid succession rather then take a shot and do the whole breathing thing. Probably comes from hunting

Quick one here troops....what are the four Principles of Marksmanship?

When I did my small arms coaching course in 1988 we had 5: HABIT
H - Holding
A - Aiming
B - Breathing
I - Instinctive Positioning
T - Trigger Control

Honestly I give them much more thought that the new method.
I know it starts with...

The Position and Hold Must be firm enough to support the weapon
Sight must be aligned with the tgt
I am not 100% on the rest - I know there is something about trigger squeeze - We have it up on the wall of the SAT rooms but I will admit that I think that when we transitioned to to the four from five was around the time we no longer were teaching marksmanship - so I stick with 5... :D (maybe I am to dumb to learn new tricks)

As an side MG34 has it entirely correct the best method to learning is buy an AR15, and take some civilian shootign classes, or the old TR/Fullbore shooters are one of the best bet (for free) as if you show up to shoot, the majority enjoy attempting to pass on the years of knowledge they have amassed.

Well Instructed Practice makes Perfect...

Heh. Just did DP2A course which has small arms coaching and 4 principles of marksmanship was drilled into you.

1. The hold and position must be firm enough to support the weapon.
2. The weapon must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort.
3. The sight, aim and alignment must be correct.
4. Shot released and follow through must not disturb the position.

Some of the guys made a guy memorize it by referencing it to screwing a chick. :D

Thanks for all the info guys. I can now make my decision.

I did my BMQ Oct 02-Apr 03 and they taught us "HABIT" for the C7. Did SQ and am doing BIQ right now, and no one said anything about any changes to the doctrine.

I personally use my civvie method of firing: Firm grip and butt firmly in shoulder, wrist & fingers loose and squeeze the trigger.

My biggest problem is getting a hold on my breathing.

I just finished the new, modified, and "improved" PWT-3, which only scores out of 49. I was upset to learn my score was only 37. Apparently this was quite good, the highest score in the company was only 42. Probably not nearly good enough for marksman, though.

I think I lost most of my points on the run down to the kneeling position at 200m. I remember my breathing being REALLY heaving at that point.

You dont even need a .22 to practice Target Shooting. All you need is an Air Rifle. I use the CF's model (853c) Daisy Air Rifle. Its all you need, and probably comes cheaper than a .22. You can go and spend $50 on an air Rifle. There isn't going to be any difference in "Kick" between a .22 and a .177 Air Rifle, you're not going to have to worry about it anyways. If you have the cash to spend, an AR-15 is definitely a good choice. I picked up a used one, with only 500 rounds down the barrel for $760. You do need a Restricted PAL though, but an AR is the closest a Civilian, without a grandfathered Prohibited license is going to get. You can shoot an Air Rifle in your basement, and practice your position, breathing, trigger pull etc with the cheapest rifle around.
I shoot Fullbore Target Rifle (TR) with the DCRA and our Provincial ORA, and I dont need to shoot a 7.62 rifle to practice. I shoot Air Rifle in my Basement, or use the 7.62 Dry Firing with Dummy Ammo (So as not to Damage the Firing Pin).
Something that would really help, any shooter, no matter what class they're shooting, would be reading the Wind. On all Military Ranges, there are Wind Flags. And if there aren't wind flags, theres trees, or even tufts of grass blowing. Read up on Reading the Wind. Linda Miller and Kieth Cunningham, who own MilCun Marksmanship complex, put out an extensive book on reading the wind. And teaches you how to estimate, and to aim off while shooting.

DO NOT TRY TO LEARN ANYTHING BEFORE YOU GO TO BASIC,  THE INSTRUCTORS WILL TEACH YOU ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW. (Hopefully)

portcullisguy said:
I just finished the new, modified, and "improved" PWT-3, which only scores out of 49.  I was upset to learn my score was only 37.  Apparently this was quite good, the highest score in the company was only 42.  Probably not nearly good enough for marksman, though.

I think I lost most of my points on the run down to the kneeling position at 200m.  I remember my breathing being REALLY heaving at that point.

Whoa... WEIRD. I just finished my PWT3 on Thursday. I only got 32, i screwed up on the kneeling (like you did)... kneeling + running + 200m = not gonna hit much

Kinda dissapointed, but I still have lots to practice with rifles, i'm not the best shot... YET.

A lot of people "cheated" you could say... like, they wouldn't fire many from the 200m kneeling but pump 8+ shots into the tgt at the 100m prone...

a .308 which is somthing like 5.65 mm nato standard will be an excellent firearm to practice your shooting with, its kick isnt huge and its a good all round rifle. you will need an unresricted firearms liscence for this firearm.

*CDN*Blackhawk said:
a .308 which is somthing like 5.65 mm nato standard will be an excellent firearm to practice your shooting with, its kick isnt huge and its a good all round rifle. you will need an unresricted firearms liscence for this firearm.

.308 = 7.62 mm

Back