• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tall sleeping bags.

xmarcx

Inactive
Reaction score
Having searched the forums I've noticed a few whisperings of available larger sleeping bags for us overly large individuals. My roomate and I are both 6'5" 250lb types and just getting all our kit together for a year of courses. Does anyone know if one has to go through the medical system or otherwise to get a chit for these, or is it just a matter of going down to supply, being extra polite, and asking nicely?

Appreciate any info, thanks.

ArmyVern once answered that.

I just did a search for tall sleeping bag:

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/35450/post-282636.html#msg282636

If (as you obviously are) a really tall man... then it is a Supply system responsibilty to get you a bag that fits. We buy custom made DEU's, raingear, footwear (I had a girl with a size ZERO!! foot in this week), sleeping bags etc etc for those people who don't fit the standard issue gear. LCMMs are meaner than SMs!! I'll pull up the ref for you at work Monday ref LPOd/custom made kit for non-standard size personnel for when you need a new bivvy bag, SB, liner etc.

Integral Designs has the current contract for producing oversized sleeping bags for the CFs (There are assigned NSNs for their oversize bags).  As suggested, go through your clothing stores and they should special order it in for you.

For the rest of those with 'average' shaped bodies, but looking for an alternative to the issued bag, CP Gear has regular sized Integral Designs bags available for sale.  ;D

On the topic of oversized cots, what are the requirements to qualify for one? I am 6'4" and when I was on cadet summer camps I was stuck in the regular beds with my feet hanging over the end by at least 6". The supply people told me they only order new beds if you are over 6'7" I have some hope that the reg forces have different requirements?

warrior vegetable said:
Having searched the forums I've noticed a few whisperings of available larger sleeping bags for us overly large individuals. My roomate and I are both 6'5" 250lb types and just getting all our kit together for a year of courses. Does anyone know if one has to go through the medical system or otherwise to get a chit for these, or is it just a matter of going down to supply, being extra polite, and asking nicely?

Appreciate any info, thanks.

There is a Standing Offer in place with a Supplier for the provision of extra-tall sleeping bags etc to CF personnel.

Tomorrow, I'll send you a PM with the manufacturer's part number, SO cost and SoS (Source of Supply) address, contact info and Standing Offer contract #. This should be already available to the personnel who work at your clothing stores, but, if not ... you'll have the info to provide them.

These items are not stocked in Clothing Stores, but are purchased for individuals as required. You do NOT need a medical chit -- it is a size issue NOT a medical issue. If you are going on course, be sure to get into clothing well in advance ... as I said -- they need to be ordered for you.

Gagetown Clothing does keep a couple of them on our shelves -- simply due to the extremely high volume of students that we see here who are heading into the field. We also keep a couple of the feather-free variety for issuing to allergy affected personnel when required (chit IS required for those ones).

Vern,

Could you send one my way as well? 

At 6'2.5", my issued bag is a tight fit, and entirely uncomfortable.

Matt_Fisher said:
Integral Designs has the current contract for producing oversized sleeping bags for the CFs (There are assigned NSNs for their oversize bags).  As suggested, go through your clothing stores and they should special order it in for you.

For the rest of those with 'average' shaped bodies, but looking for an alternative to the issued bag, CP Gear has regular sized Integral Designs bags available for sale.   ;D

Those same stock numbers are applicable to any company's oversized bags. NSNs do not become applicable though until we have recd the item into the Sup system via the Standing Offer.

The standing offers are regional --- thus it may well be a different supplier at his location, but it may be the same one.

IntlBr said:
Vern,

Could you send one my way as well? 

At 6'2.5", my issued bag is a tight fit, and entirely uncomfortable.

At a mere 6'2.5" -- you would not qualify. PWGSC "outside of system" purchase authority is restricted to those 6'5" and above.

(I don't make the rules ... I'd suggest a trip to see your MO, explaining that you are not being afforded ample rest opportunity due to your height/size and the limitations of "The Bag" and try to make your case the medical route -- If a chit is issued by them, you'd get the bag via Supply. But, for Supply to comply with NON-medical regulations set forth in federal purchasing regulations -- 6'5 is the min height limit.)

I was afraid you were going to say that!

Time to look into some lifts...

ArmyVern said:
There is a Standing Offer in place with a Supplier for the provision of extra-tall sleeping bags etc to CF personnel.

Tomorrow, I'll send you a PM with the manufacturer's part number, SO cost and SoS (Source of Supply) address, contact info and Standing Offer contract #. This should be already available to the personnel who work at your clothing stores, but, if not ... you'll have the info to provide them.

These items are not stocked in Clothing Stores, but are purchased for individuals as required. You do NOT need a medical chit -- it is a size issue NOT a medical issue. If you are going on course, be sure to get into clothing well in advance ... as I said -- they need to be ordered for you.

Gagetown Clothing does keep a couple of them on our shelves -- simply due to the extremely high volume of students that we see here who are heading into the field. We also keep a couple of the feather-free variety for issuing to allergy affected personnel when required (chit IS required for those ones).

Make sure you follow Vern;s advice, they need lots of time, it took 2 months for mine to arrive, and be entered into the system, and then issued to me.

ArmyVern said:

Apparently not here in Gagetown.... Went in to supply today, was told to come back in about a week to pick up my old sleeping bag, which will have an extra foot from an old sleeping bag sewn onto it.

Quick'n'dirty, but at least I'll fit into it.

warrior vegetable said:
Apparently not here in Gagetown.... Went in to supply today, was told to come back in about a week to pick up my old sleeping bag, which will have an extra foot from an old sleeping bag sewn onto it.

Quick'n'dirty, but at least I'll fit into it.

Well Vern would know the latest about Gagetown as she is there. Maybe the person you talked to didn't know.

NFLD Sapper said:
Well Vern would know the latest about Gagetown as she is there. Maybe the person you talked to didn't know.

I was thinking the same thing and crossing my fingers that I'd end up talking to the SME, but ended up talking to some civvie, alas!

NFLD Sapper said:

Yes, there is a provision here in Gagetown. That being said, there are also modified old bags in the system --- and apparently Gagetown has one of those here for this individual to be issued.

That being said, I should have the info/pt nos tomorrow. And, apparently, the double-phase course has quite a few tall pers on it who cleaned out the shelves of the 'stand-by' extra tall bags that we had here. So, now even we'll have to have heads-up notice so we can order one in for an individual who requires one.

(There's also nothing wrong with the old bags which have been previously modified -- they are certified to meet all the mil specs, go to that grand old -40 temperature and everything else that everyone else's issued sleeping bag does for them ... they just ain't "Gucci.")

Back