• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Taking Pictures in your Army Career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarko

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

When i get to basic training will i be able to bring a photographic camera and take pictures of everything i want to remember for life? I would love to keep my memories of whatever I do through my career in the forces through photos. So will i be able to bring a camera and take pictures whenever (BMQ,SQ,BIQ) and the rest of my career??.

Thx

In most cases, yes, of course the exception being sensitive/classified material. Other than that, snap away, just be sure to ask before snapping pics of some piece of equipment, example: When I went to Fort Knox with my reserve unit, we all wanted to take pictures of the AH-64 Apaches, we got a "dog and pony" on one in the hangar. The only pics we could take was of the outside, we couldn't take pics of the engine compartment or the cockpit since that stuff was considered sensitive.

Cheers

Be careful with the camera, don't take pictures of things that might haunt you in the future.

On my courses last summer the instructors encouraged us to take lots of pictures, as many of them regretted not taking pics when they did their courses.

Yea, you can take a camera with you, just be carefull you don't get it broken. When I was on my basic course, I just bought one of those disposable cameras you can get at london drugs an safeway.

when i go for basic trainig i am definitaley bringing a camera with me i want to capture every part of my wonderfulcareer :salute:

I plan on making scrapbooks out of all my military experiences... Basic, and onward...Which will probably end up including SQ and infantry QL3.. and 4... and up to 8 or however ungodly amount they have now.

I am going to take a picture of the really mean seargent when he is yelling at me so I never forget it.

Be careful of what you take pictures of on your BMQ..

I've got a nice buddy of some of my buddies when the pl marking time as punishment in the barracks by our bunks.. but a MCpl was around the corner and saw the flash, and then me fumbling to hide the camera. Luckily someone else distracted him by doing something stupid (intentionally or unintentionally, I'm not sure) and he forgot about it.

The best part was that I managed to stay in step the whole time  ;D

LOL!

Yeah, but definetly take pictures, that way when you tell your friends stories about what you did this summer they'll have to believe you. (My mom liked the one of me ironing my bed...she asked why I never clean my room like that at home  ;D)

Take pictures sure but two warnings.

Don't take a picture of anything that you don't want others to see they have a funny way of getting out and don't try to sell a picture taken while you are on work hours the commercial rights belong to the CF for all photos taken while on duty.

brneil said:
Take pictures sure but two warnings.

Don't take a picture of anything that you don't want others to see they have a funny way of getting out and don't try to sell a picture taken while you are on work hours the commercial rights belong to the CF for all photos taken while on duty.

IS that law written somewhere?  I can see pictures that have images that are the CF's (equipment, uniform, etc.), but I can't see them denying ownership rights for say, landscape photography taken on duty..  Could be wrong.

T

Wouldn't it be a conflict of interest thing? Something written on your contract when you first signed up?

Torlyn said:
IS that law written somewhere?   I can see pictures that have images that are the CF's (equipment, uniform, etc.), but I can't see them denying ownership rights for say, landscape photography taken on duty..   Could be wrong.

T

It was produced while you were in their employ... therefore, it belongs to them.

Just a Sig Op said:
It was produced while you were in their employ... therefore, it belongs to them.

Really?  Because even though I'm a photographer, when I'm working for a firm in Calgary (subcontracting, I guess you'd call it), I still own any images taken that aren't a direct result of my contract...  (ie doing a wedding if I get a good architectural shot, I own it, not the studio.)  Wonder if the CF have it written down somewhere...

T

Torlyn said:
Really?   Because even though I'm a photographer, when I'm working for a firm in Calgary (subcontracting, I guess you'd call it), I still own any images taken that aren't a direct result of my contract...   (ie doing a wedding if I get a good architectural shot, I own it, not the studio.)   Wonder if the CF have it written down somewhere...

T

Why, why oh why must you people always argue. You have been told...By a member of the CF who is in the know...and still you have to argue!

When (or should I say IF) you are ever employed by the CF I hope you try that particular brand of BS on your drill instructor...See where it gets you. In the mean time why don't you take the cotton out of your ears and put it in you mouth and listen to the people who know what they're talking about.

Respectfully

Slim

Torlyn said:
Really?   Because even though I'm a photographer, when I'm working for a firm in Calgary (subcontracting, I guess you'd call it), I still own any images taken that aren't a direct result of my contract...   (ie doing a wedding if I get a good architectural shot, I own it, not the studio.)   Wonder if the CF have it written down somewhere...

T

Because copyright law is a bizzare quagmire.

Or ditto on what Slim said. Take your pick.

For the love of Pete, I asked a question, asked for some solid material to back your claims (Slim) and that's the BEST you can come up with?  Sig Op, I understand that copyright laws are a bitch but from what I've found on the justice website is that copyright images are owned by the person CREATING said image...  Therefore, if I take the picture, I own it, not the CF, unless I'm reproducing an image of an already copyrighted item.  (ie, taking a picture of a Sea King, the CF owns that image, as it's their bird) If you've got anything to disprove that, please let me know, I don't want to make any mistakes when I go.

Slim, just because *you* say something is true, doesn't mean I'll take it as such.  If you've got concrete evidence to support your claims, great, I'll bow down to that, but until then, quiet.  IF you're "in the know"  then let me know where I can find that info, or why *you* are in the know.  Last I checked in your profile, you're retired (not a knock, I obviously hold your service to our country in high regard), so whatever info you may have could very well be out of date.  I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to get a solid basis for the information you're posting, that's it.  If you've got it, post it.  If not, don't.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back