• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical combat casualty care ( TCCC )

Though I can't answer your question, remember if you are TCCC trained you cannot use it outside of a combat situation without being liable for damages. Anything beyond First Aid is not covered, so you can be sued.

Sythen said:
Though I can't answer your question, remember if you are TCCC trained you cannot use it outside of a combat situation without being liable for damages. Anything beyond First Aid is not covered, so you can be sued.

I'm aware of that but thank you.

I'm just looking to utilize my time as best as possible and get some quals while I'm away from the regiment. So basically I'm just wondering what could be available to me.

Depending on which base your task is at, they may be running BTLS (Basic Trauma Life Saving - *I think* - it's been a while) at the base hospital, which is basically an advanced civy TCCC-style first aid course aimed at paramedic types. I took it back in '03 or '04 while I was posted to Gagetown the first time around, and although I am sure it most likely has a different name and content, it was fantastic. If you are able to do the combat first aid TMST stand with any kind of competency, you will not have issues with the practical portion of the BTLS, although the theory portion might be a different story.

Although, it never hurts to wait until you are actually there and talk to the medic types and ask them - I am sure they would be able to assist in something.....

Capt. Happy said:
Depending on which base your task is at, they may be running BTLS (Basic Trauma Life Saving - *I think* - it's been a while) at the base hospital, which is basically an advanced civy TCCC-style first aid course aimed at paramedic types.

Basic Trauma Life Support...now ITLS (International TLS) is something we used to offer to the amb drivers, not sure if they do now, but they could audit and do the hands on training, so they had an idea of how use the equipment and anticipate our needs.  It's essentiall a course on how to assess and treat trauma patients in an organized fashion...not really a TCCC course for paramedics  ;), though there is some of that involved.  Another thing you can ask for is the Advanced Medical First Responder or Emergency First Responder course.  These help you learn the basics like using Oxygen and taking proper vital signs, as well packaging.

Also, don't be afraid to bug your medic - they're a wealth of information and are usually pretty forthcoming in teaching, or they should be, as training you is part of the deal.

MM

You might even ask for the basics a HCP (Health Care Professional ) CPR Course is a good add on to the First Aid you already have

TCCC and Combat First Aid, on top of Military Standard First Aid are really the only CF Options. CPR Level C with HCP is also an option. 

You might also see if you can get an Advanced Medical First Responder or Emergency Medical Responder course, either via the CF (if someone is running one) or via St John Ambulance / Red Cross on the civi side. 

One of the best options, I think, would be to take a civilian Wilderness First Aid / Advanced Wilderness First Aid / Wilderness First Responder course(s).  Well run these are prime for people in the CF who are often a little further away from an ambulance / EMS service than our civilian friends.

There are also a few other civilian courses, such as Battlefield Medical Response (Wilderness Medical Associates) or combat first aid (CTOMS) if you are willing to seek them out.

MC

It is good that you are interested and excited to do a good job as part of an Amb crew, and if you end up staying there you will get valuable experience.  Courses will come with time.

I am writing to remind you not to get ahead of yourself, and not to lose focus on what you are expected to do.  You are a driver, and that needs to be your priority.  Ensuring the vehicle is well maintained, organized, clean, and operational is the best thing you can focus on at this time.  Knowing your way around the truck, know the proper names for the equipment and supplies, and memorize the maps and areas you will be operating in.

Saving a person from a sucking chest wound certainly would be amazing work, but if your truck dies or you get lost along the on the way, all the bandages and first aid skill in the world won't help.

GnyHwy said:
It is good that you are interested and excited to do a good job as part of an Amb crew, and if you end up staying there you will get valuable experience.  Courses will come with time.

I am writing to remind you not to get ahead of yourself, and not to lose focus on what you are expected to do.  You are a driver, and that needs to be your priority.  Ensuring the vehicle is well maintained, organized, clean, and operational is the best thing you can focus on at this time.  Knowing your way around the truck, know the proper names for the equipment and supplies, and memorize the maps and areas you will be operating in.

Saving a person from a sucking chest wound certainly would be amazing work, but if your truck dies or you get lost along the on the way, all the bandages and first aid skill in the world won't help.

Good points. It's important to be able to reduce the 'Golden Hour' to the 'Golden few minutes', and only a good driver of some kind can do that.

medicineman said:
Basic Trauma Life Support...

I knew I was close :D

...not really a TCCC course for paramedics  ;), though there is some of that involved. 

Absolutely - it is NOT a TCCC course, but the skills taught are close and I figured it was something he could relate to. No worries  ;)

In any case, there is a lot of useful suggestions here  :2c:

feetfirstintoheck said:
Hi there. Just a quick question if anyone can shed some light. I'm going to be tasked as an ambulance driver for the next 6 months and will me around the medics daily. There will be a lot of down time and I was hoping to pick up any medical training I could while there, if the medics are willing and have the time and means.

My question is what courses are generally available to combat arms pers (I'm an engineer) and who is qualified to teach them? The only one I know of for sure is TCCC and you generally only get that if you're deploying.

Thanks.
Awesome attitude.

GnyHwy said:

Probably the best advice you'll receive on this question. Knowing what the stuff is and where it is located in the vehicle is probably more important at this stage. If your help is needed to treat a patient, your medic will tell you what to do. That being said, Standard First Aid is probably the most important medical course you can take at your stage.

Back