• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tactical combat casualty care ( TCCC )

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Yes, we may be behind the current trends. But in an army whose troops are gone from family a lot and away from thier home base cutting down course length is cheaper and better for soldiers individual welfare.

Unless your the one lying on the ground sucking wind, and the guy doing aid can't remember that lesson -- or kinda breezed over it  ;)

good point, perhaps I should lay on the floor and re-examin that point of view.  :eek:

But seriously...most soldiers are motivated to learn knowledge, because it is the background for a skill they will be tried and tested on. But yes, you still need a classroom with an instructor to confirm knowledge.

Whether the material gets learned by distance ed or not is back to the motivation principle - if you want to do it or have a good reason to do it, you will.  Distance ed BTW doesn't preclude having an instructor handy - I've done some very well facilitated university courses by CBL that had chat rooms and instructors you could reach by email and have answers to questions within an hour usually.  If it's set up well, it can be done.

I seem to recall that for the longest time, Emergency Medical Technicians in Alberta did all their didactic by CBL/Distance Ed and then came together to do their labs for the practical periods for a few days at a time every 1 or 2 months and that seemed to work well.  Food for thought.

MM

I just wanted to say how amazing this course was.  I was blown away by what I learned. Awesome instructors and awesome training aids. Expensive yes but it was great to actually be able to use the medical item's we'll be using overseas and getting hands on training instead of just watching videos.
I've always been bored and uninterested in the St John's firstaid but this course really opened my eyes. My first aid confidence in myself jumped by about 50 times, it feels like light years ahead of what we learn in basic first aid. One of the best course's I've taken.

Even the practical portion (section comes up to a vehicle accident-react) felt more accurate and real than what I remember doing in the TMST practical role playing scenario.  Having combat arm types on hand to cover tactics was a great idea too.

Big thanks to the medical staff (and attachments).  In a perfect world everyone going overseas would be TCCC qualified.

For the medics out there how many people (obviously situation dictates) do you feel a TCCC guy can treat? Like should I aim for 2 or 3 or 5?

Obviously you're going to treat everyone but I have limited space in my TCCC bag and I'm wondering just how many cook sets I should pack, how many bandages (of what type) how many of those nose tubes etc..  More heavy on the bandages or go for more of a mix?
Can someone recommend a good balanced TCCC bag set up?

Thanks

1 serious (life limb eye sight).
so assume 1 airway kit, 2 limb injuries, 2 in and out wounds, etc., specifically 2 decompression needles (dump the Cook set for chest...too big and mostly useless)

and that is it.

Man I'm over packed. Had 5 airway sets, 4 cook sets heh

2 limb injuries and 2 in and out wounds, what bandages/stuff would you recommend for that?

Depends on what is available to you and what you prefer to use. I recommend min 2 triangulars, 2 ER dressing, 4 kerlix (kling, packing whatever) as a start.

I would be more heavy on the penetrating trauma stuff IE: Israeli dressing, TQ, Kerlex, Fd dressings

And less concerned with Airway and cook sets. For chest go with Ashermans they worked like a charm for me.

My TCCC bag looked like

4xIsraeli
2xKerlex
4xTQ
2x Cdn Fd Dressing
4x Asherman
2xNeedles
2x QC
2xNPA

Of that the only things I never used was the NPA the Needles and the QC. This set up I found meant I could work and sustain life on 2 major WIA's or a whole whack of minor ones. Remember your job is to keep them alive long enough for the Medic to get there and get them stable (ish)

Also remember the first rule do not become a casualty yourself!

SHUT UP DOC  ;D

BulletMagnet said:
Also remember the first rule do not become a casualty yourself!

SHUT UP DOC  ;D

What?!? I didn't say anything...

yet.

Cook sets have been recalled.  No longer used overseas as they aren't long enough, and bulky as hell.  Now using a 10G x 4".

Also bare in mind, ALL the vehicles overseas have trauma bags in them.  As well, every soldier has his own "med supplies".  So don't get too caught up in carrying a lot of extra kit.

DM

I would second what others have said. Carry more penetrating trauma stuff. My bag had;

4x Israelis
2x Blast Bandage (these were GREAT for dismounted IED related incidents)
4x Kerlix
2x QC
2x TQ
2x NPA
2x De-Compression needles
4x Asherman
2x Glue (I cant remember what the name is, but the glue that works on skin)
2x Glow sticks (whatever you CAS marking SOP colour is)
1x Body pen
Lots of gloves

PhilB
It's called DermaBond, the medical grade skin glue.
R711 OUT

I am hoping someone can help me out with any good and applicable references (both on and off site) to supplement training for someone starting out within a Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) role.

I can do my own internet searches but I am sort of working in the dark having nothing more than level 1 First Aid.

My thanks in advance.  :cdn:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33048.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26412/post-162540.html#msg162540

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26415.0.html

http://www.health.mil/Education_And_Training/TCCC.aspx

Three relevant articles of interest:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=5883
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/ws/Archives/5Mar09/5Mar09.pdf (See page 7)
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=3502

TCCC is designed to teach CF personnel deploying to Afghanistan how to treat casualties until medical support arrives – perfect for NBP members because they often operate without a medic in tow.

The two-week course starts with the practical. Students learn to use a tourniquet, pack a wound, insert a nasal breathing tube, insert a needle into the chest cavity to relieve air or fluid pressure, and how to do all this and more under fire.

The second week sends students into the field to work through scenarios such as a LAV striking an IED, suicide bombers at checkpoints, patrols through villages and injuries to civilians, with role-players as locals and enemies, and realistic simulated wounds. Students also practised transmitting the necessary information in calls for medical evacuations.

Any trades working outside the wire or off the ship on operations!

Having worked as a clinical instructor in both TCCC and CFMS within the CF, as well as
civilian First Response and EMS I have a good view of the spectrum of care.

TCCC focuses on teaching you how to keep tactically involved with combat while acting
as extra eyes for your medic while on deployment.  In a pitch (i.e combat) you can act
as a second pair of hands to administer very specific life saving measures to your comrades.

This course doesn't teach you how to become the medic... but does start you thinking about and and recognising the
pretty simple things that will save lives.  It also gives you some of the tools you would need to augment the medics
capabilities in a mass cas situation.

I think that the best resource you could get to aurment your capabilities would be taking a civilian advanced first aid course.  More because the training gets your mind moving and sets you up with a specific mind set that can only help in your role as TCCC.  Granted the tools used to deal with injuries are different, and the approachand priorities are drastically different (hence TCCC) but it would be the mind set you have going into the situation that would be beneficial.

Best of luck...

Ian

Hi there. Just a quick question if anyone can shed some light. I'm going to be tasked as an ambulance driver for the next 6 months and will me around the medics daily. There will be a lot of down time and I was hoping to pick up any medical training I could while there, if the medics are willing and have the time and means.

My question is what courses are generally available to combat arms pers (I'm an engineer) and who is qualified to teach them? The only one I know of for sure is TCCC and you generally only get that if you're deploying.

Thanks.

Back