• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been overseas for the past few weeks & I live in single quarters at CFB Kingston.  I don't return until Friday.

Can anyone tell me if Bldg C-46 is affected?  I hate surprises...  Many thanks!

Old Sweat said:
, the troops are not gruntled (opposite of disgruntled and probably not a real word.)

It's in the COD (a colloquial backform of disgruntled), so you're safe from the pedants.  It's an adjective - so while you may say "you are gruntled", it is improper to say "my girlfriend gruntled me last night".

Good2Go said:
I've been overseas for the past few weeks & I live in single quarters at CFB Kingston.  I don't return until Friday.

Can anyone tell me if Bldg C-46 is affected?  I hate surprises...  Many thanks!

The memo that is circulating online does not mention C-46.

Chief Stoker said:
The memo that is circulating online does not mention C-46.

Thank you so much.  I am having an awful trip & hearing that I might return to a move pde was making a bad situation worse.

Any chance you could send me the link for the memo?

It's official - they're still coming, but not as many as first planned by year end ....
The government will resettle only about 10,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the year, or less than half the 25,000 promised by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during the election campaign.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship officials revealed the shortfall on Tuesday, as they presented the government’s plan for bringing the Syrian refugees to Canada. The entire 25,000 won’t arrive in Canada until the end of February, the officials said. The effort will cost as much as $678 million over six years ....
This from the Info-machine:
The Government of Canada is taking immediate action to welcome 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada as quickly as possible, through a five-phase national plan. Canada can and will do more to help Syrian refugees who are desperately seeking safety, by offering them a new home.

The five phases are identifying Syrian refugees to come to Canada, selecting and processing Syrian refugees overseas, transportation to Canada, arrival and welcoming in Canada, and settlement and community integration. Protecting the safety, security, and health of Canadians and refugees is a key factor in guiding the Government of Canada’s actions throughout this initiative.

The government will identify all 25,000 refugees to come to Canada by December 31, 2015. Of those selected, the target is to have 10,000 Syrian refugees arrive in Canada by the end of this year, and the remainder to arrive by the end of February 2016.

We will ensure we are prepared to welcome these refugees properly in our communities, by continuing to work with provincial, territorial, municipal, and other partners. This timeframe will also allow for the completion of the immigration process overseas.

It is important that Canada respond and demonstrate clear action. To meet this commitment, the government will work with the governments of Jordan, Lebanon, and Turkey, along with international and Canadian partners.

Canada will be working closely with the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) to identify registered Syrian refugees who can be resettled. Canada’s focus will be on identifying vulnerable refugees who are a lower security risk. Robust health and security screening will be completed overseas. This will include the collection of biographic information and biometric screening of all refugees, verified against databases.

The government also has several thousand applications in processing for privately sponsored refugees (PSRs) under way, and these will be included as part of the commitment. The majority of these will be finalized in the coming weeks. These refugees will be admitted into Canada, in either Montreal or Toronto, and then continue directly on to their destination community.

Resettling 25,000 refugees to Canada is a national effort that will require significant coordination and support. The Government of Canada is working with other orders of government, non-governmental organizations, partners and Canadians across the country to help ensure successful integration of Syrian refugees into their new host communities, where they will begin to build their new lives in Canada.

The government’s commitment to bringing in Syrian refugees will continue in 2016. Given the current initiative includes privately sponsored refugees, this will include taking in more government-assisted refugees (GARs) to reach a total target of 25,000 GARs.

Since the beginning of the conflict in Syria, Canada has contributed more than $800 million to support stabilization efforts, provide development assistance, contribute to humanitarian efforts, and enhance security ....
More in the Backgrounder here - infographic of five phases attached - all material also attached as PDF in case links above don't work.

Yes, finally, because the logistical nightmare would have surpassed the security concerns.

I have recently been involved in the private sponsorship of a refugee family, from a much different area, and it takes a lot of effort from a bunch of people to do it right. Anything less risks setting the family up for failure.

It should not have taken this long for the government to listen to what everybody who had real experience in such things was telling it, or to reassure a good chunk of our population who had legitimate concerns that the security aspect was being taken seriously.

This did not have to get so many people worked up.

I am also concerned that Syrians have merely become fashionable for Liberals. There are many others elsewhere at least equally suffering and/or at real risk who seem to be invisible to them.

>Of those selected, the target is to have 10,000 Syrian refugees arrive in Canada by the end of this year, and the remainder to arrive by the end of February 2016.

Good.  The government will undoubtedly take a brief hit from the critics who take Trudeau to task for uttering so much as "good morning", but it will be much better than a never-ending series of interviews with refugees about the quality of their experience since being rushed into Canada to fit a campaign promise deadline.

Loachman said:
Yes, finally, because the logistical nightmare would have surpassed the security concerns.

I have recently been involved in the private sponsorship of a refugee family, from a much different area, and it takes a lot of effort from a bunch of people to do it right. Anything less risks setting the family up for failure.

It should not have taken this long for the government to listen to what everybody who had real experience in such things was telling it, or to reassure a good chunk of our population who had legitimate concerns that the security aspect was being taken seriously.

This did not have to get so many people worked up.

I am also concerned that Syrians have merely become fashionable for Liberals. There are many others elsewhere at least equally suffering and/or at real risk who seem to be invisible to them.

Of course they did.  They had an election to win and a Natural Order to restore.  >:D

Loachman said:
I  am also concerned that Syrians have merely become fashionable for Liberals. There are many others elsewhere at least equally suffering and/or at real risk who seem to be invisible to them.
Amen. If you count IDPs the same as refugees, then you must also remember those in Afghanistan (anyone remember them anymore?), Colombia, Sudan, etc. The list goes on and on....

Technoviking said:
Amen. If you count IDPs the same as refugees, then you must also remember those in Afghanistan (anyone remember them anymore?)....
Like these folks (as of April 2014)?
.... Canada’s immigration department says about 800 interpreters, support workers and some eligible family members will “eventually” wind up in Canada under the special visa program. But a spokesperson for Citizenship and Immigration Canada could not say how many of those applicants have already arrived. Nor would CIC say how many former interpreters applied and were rejected, left behind as the final Canadian troops left Afghanistan (March 2014) ....
Technoviking said:
.... Colombia, Sudan, etc. The list goes on and on....
Look out for more if/when Canada gets involved elsewhere in Africa under PMJT & Co. ....

Good2Go said:
Thank you so much.  I am having an awful trip & hearing that I might return to a move pde was making a bad situation worse.

I'd also like to see this memo if possible - the only one I've seen online turned out to be a fake and that certainly doesn't help the machine of misinformation that's going around.  :facepalm:

Finnthegreat said:
I'd also like to see this memo if possible - the only one I've seen online turned out to be a fake and that certainly doesn't help the machine of misinformation that's going around.  :facepalm:

I cannot help you directly, but the media is reporting that "Residents of six different buildings at CFB Kingston were told in a letter on Friday they would need to move their personal effects on Monday to make way for incoming refugees."

Assuming that report is accurate ~ and we have a whole thread devoted to media errors, etc, which suggests it might not be ~ then the "letter" is out in public and someone should be able to post it here or send you a copy by IM.

Thanks - I've seen that Sun article, different outlets have similar versions. I know CTV had one earlier this week that was then slammed for being misleading. That's the whole part of the problem, as was stated earlier in this thread. One day someone says something, who tells someone else ect and suddenly it becomes a fact and being reported on as such. It wouldn't take much for that to NOT happen... but you know, why put in the effort?

E.R. Campbell said:
I cannot help you directly, but the media is reporting that "Residents of six different buildings at CFB Kingston were told in a letter on Friday they would need to move their personal effects on Monday to make way for incoming refugees."

Assuming that report is accurate ~ and we have a whole thread devoted to media errors, etc, which suggests it might not be ~ then the "letter" is out in public and someone should be able to post it here or send you a copy by IM.

Theo Moudakis, drawing in the Toronto Star, says:

CUqCvmyWUAAD_sy.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/TheoMoudakis?lang=en

Michael Den Tandt, writing in the Ottawa Citizen, says that breaking the refugee promise (25,000 by 31 Dec 15) is a political 'winner' for the Liberals.

"They have not, it seems, entirely lost the smarts that won them 184 seats and a whopping majority just over a month ago.

In announcing the details of its long-anticipated, feverishly-speculated upon and much-criticized plan to rescue 25,000 refugees from the Syrian war by year’s end, the Liberal government deftly lopped off the last part of the promise,
    something they could have done three weeks ago.

Their plan is now to bring in 10,000 refugees to Canada by year’s end, with an additional 15,000 to come in the ensuing couple of months — more or less in line with what many stakeholders and critics — including refugee advocates,
    some mayors, provincial premiers and the Conservative party — have demanded for weeks.

“Canadians said, if it takes a little bit longer to do it right, then that’s what you should do,” said John McCallum, Minister of Immigration and point man on the refugee effort, in explaining the change."

If we bring in 10K between now and the end of the year, that's about 300 people per day, which is a single Boeing 767 (with room to spare) or a pair of Boeing 737s.  Pearson generally handles about 100,000 passengers a day.  So if all refugees are channelled through Pearson, it's a 0.3% increase - hardly unmanageable.  Fly the 737s to two different airports and the increase is even less. 

E.R. Campbell said:
Theo Moudakis, drawing in the Toronto Star, says:

CUqCvmyWUAAD_sy.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/TheoMoudakis?lang=en

Do Syrian female refugees have special cultural rules like not being looked at by a male or not searched by a male or something?

Also I haven't read anywhere about our kitchen facilities providing special meals?

Good2Go said:

Have you considered contacting your chain of command?

dapaterson said:
If we bring in 10K between now and the end of the year, that's about 300 people per day, which is a single Boeing 767 (with room to spare) or a pair of Boeing 737s.  Pearson generally handles about 100,000 passengers a day.  So if all refugees are channelled through Pearson, it's a 0.3% increase - hardly unmanageable.  Fly the 737s to two different airports and the increase is even less.

I don't think getting them through screening and through airport security is going to be the biggest hurdle. There is a lot more to it than putting them through a metal detector. The biggest issue is going to be the logistics after they make it through the screening and are living on Canadian soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back