• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Synthetic environnement training, what do you think about it?

ettibebs

Inactive
Reaction score
I would like to know what people think of training in a synthetic environnement like with VBS2, JCATS or the STAL?  How good do you think compare to actual field training? I understand that it can't replace it but how good you think it is as a complementary tool to train soldier? 

I am asking because I'm working in the field and I would like to know how people see it where would they want it to go.

Thanks for your input.

Sort of like asking someone if they see any value in training for a Marathon on a Treadmill.

Having used JCATS I found it was good for  planning and issuing orders for the offensive and was a good work up before when went out a did Mech Pl atttacks.

George Wallace said:
Sort of like asking someone if they see any value in training for a Marathon on a Treadmill.

I don't agree with you as the treadmill you are just running.  There is much more going on in synthetic training and it's a relativly young tool so there is still place for improvement and to better the immersion factor.  You won't do your physical validation for depoyment on a treadmill but part of the validation process for organisation going in Afghanistan is done using synthetic system.

Any type of TEWT is valuable, but can not replace the "real time" and "Murphy's Law" involved in actual Field Training with Troops.  There are numerous things that simulation can not train troops on.  Resupply problems, Eating, Sleeping, Shift rotations, Fatigue, etc. are all factors that need "real time" and "place/environment" to train.  Remember, the troops are not little clones in a program, but actual individuals with a wide variety of personalities that will affect how any task passed on to them will be done.  How do you simulate digging, driving, fighting in inclement weather conditions?  Will we see the day that a large facility will house a simulator that replicates rain, cold, heat, etc. to make the troops miserable?

Is it just something like a virtual field?  Or how is it laid out?

I agree with George that you can't REPLACE real-life on-the-ground human-and-situational-friction practice with the "arcade version" ....
George Wallace said:
How do you simulate digging, driving, fighting in inclement weather conditions?  Will we see the day that a large facility will house a simulator that replicates rain, cold, heat, etc. to make the troops miserable?
.... but I'd see at least some merit in being able to ingrain the sequence of events or checklist into one's mind before using same checklist in the real world conditions.  To some extent, it's the same way GPMG gun drills (do I age myself?) would imprint drills before you used them in the field.

ettibebs said:
...................... but part of the validation process for organisation going in Afghanistan is done using synthetic system.

This is a tool that can be used to train Command Post elements on the basics, but without actual deployment into the "Field Conditions" it can provide false results.  Some people are great at sending email from the comfort of their comfy chairs, but can't last one day in the Field under austere conditions.   What good is a member of a Staff who has no idea how to set up their site/CP/complex, start their vehicle, refuel their vehicle/generator, maintain their vehicle/generator, operate and maintain their weapons and electronic systems, etc.?  What about their other daily routines; sleeping, eating, ablutions, etc.?

Synthetic systems have a valid use in developing some skill sets, but cannot replace actual Field Exercises.  It is the actual Field Exercises that provide the final confirmation and "simulation", not a synthetic environment.

As I said in my original post George I don't think synthetic training can replace field training.  And I don't want to create a machine that will make us more miserable will training, that simply not the point at all.  Generally it's used more to train adequate procedure and action to a situation that you can afterward train for real while saving the cost in fuel, ammo, repairs and cleaning actual field training would require. Please correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't it better to have the staff know the correct procedure before going to the field training where they can apply it to "real" simulated event?

Also we are not just training command post.  I know that some element of NSE came to the centre to train there IED reaction before going to the field to practice for real.

As for troops are not little clones in a program comment, I would like to point out that I'm not that stupid.  All I want to know is what people think of their training using those tools and where we could improve or what kind of training that are not already done using synthetic environnement that could be done.  All I want is our troops to be train as efficently as possible while spending less ressources that could be better used elsewhere.

Understand, I don't doubt your experience with the real world in any way but may I ask what is your experience with synthetic training as you seem to have a very low esteem of it.  

As I said, Synthetic Training does have value, but it should not be the final validation. 

It is simulation, and as such only offers so many scenarios.  It, as such, can turn out to be unrealistic.  It can provide unrealistic "time", unrealistic "weapons effects", etc. 

As I have also said, some troops can perform very well in a simulated environment, but cannot in a real environment.  The "real" environment offers more "stressful" situations than the simulated environment.  Some troops will have difficulty with being in the correct frame of mind in either environment.

There are still members of the CF who have "computer phobias".  In some cases they will not do well in a Synthetic environment, but do quite well in the real world.

Sorry.....I think I rambled a bit there.

No problem as I agree with you on your points.  As far as I know nobody as ever sugested that final validation be done in sybthetic environnement and I agree with you that it would do no good for the reasons you pointed out.  Can we at least at agree it can be a cost effective way for "first training" or familiarisation with procedure or action to be taken.

Also you haven't answer ref. your experience with synthetic training.  I'm just asking so I can better understand how you see things as I can't see your profile yet.

Some Synthetic Training is very cost effective.  Some is not, due to it being "Trial Versions" or systems that are not widely used or used at all.  Some are unrealistic in that they are in the development stages.

Many of the Gunnery programs are cost effective. 

Of course there are the Flight Simulators that have been in use for ages, and these have more than proven their worth.

None of these synthetic systems are cheap, and often expensive to maintain and operate.  The CF can use them, but are at the mercy of the "bean counters" in the end as to how many they can purchase.  The time to train on them must be maximized to see the real cost savings on them.

Ettibebs,

Since you acknowledged that simulation can not replace field time I will let that one go and try to answer your question based on my experience.  The key to employing simulation effectively is to clearly define what the training aims are and where it fits into the training plan.  Usually this means earlier in a cycle (either individual or collective) to work out the bugs before going to the field and wasting time learning lessons that could have been learned in a more sterile environment before adding the stressors that will naturally be injected during field training such as veh breakdowns, 24/4 ops, sleep deprivation etc., etc.  That will come.

IMO one of the problems with simulation in the CF is a lack of resources (money) require us to get one system that does everything okay and nothing really well.  JCATS for example was a good tool for allowing leadership at various levels (ex dependant) to practice conventional war-fighting ops i.e. emphasizing reaction to a fluid environment, decision making, passage of orders, use of enablers etc.  Did it take into account every variable that one could encounter?  Absolutely not but used in the earlier stages of a training cycle it allows teams to work out SOPs or it gives individual students an idea of what to expect thus making them more functional once they get back to their units where the real training begins.  What JCATS did not do well is the asymmetrical piece but we try it anyway because JCATS is the tool we have.  You can not hold a shura in JCATS (although its been tried), search vehicles or compounds, identify civilian or insurgent etc.  But forcing the tool on the situation just because it is the only one we have adds no training value whatsoever.

Another example was the Indirect Fire Trainer (IFT) at the Artillery School.  There were two and a few years ago, a movie set designer was hired to come in and convert one to a simulated [destroyed] building and a dismounted OP.  This did nothing but decrease the utility of the room as it reduced the number of students that could be easily accommodated and it became a very awkward place to give actual lectures/classes/presentations in.  IMO this is even more apparent when we keep in mind that the intent of the IFT was a "procedural trainer" not a simulator.  Students need to first understand the basics of how to conduct a fire mission properly.  The "doing it while uncomfortable - cold, wet, lying down  after humping for 12 hours" comes later in the course.  What it did though, was make the school look good because they were on the "cutting edge".  ;)

One of my least favourite "simulators" although not digital was the 14.5mm trainer for Artillery.  Drills at every level had to be altered somewhat to make it work, so few people other that the person "firing" a fire plan got any real training and even that could have been better achieved in a well run CPX.  So in the end, it arguably taught bad lessons and took away real bullets from the units.  But I'm sure there is enough debate there to start its own thread.

To sum up, I guess my point is that if you have any input into the types of simulators we develop, make sure you figure out why we need it (and make sure we do) then be identify exactly what you need it to do and design it to do (just) that well.  Don't look for one that promises to be an all-singing and all-dancing.

George Wallace said:
Of course there are the Flight Simulators that have been in use for ages, and these have more than proven their worth.

Not only have they proven their worth but in some specific cases, they have replaced flight training entirely. The Airbus A380 training syllabus is done in the simulators and the first time a new A380 pilot actually flies the machine is on his first flight with passengers. Granted that to get to this point they are already season aviators but this shows the advancements made in simulator technology.

Cleared Hot said:
"procedural trainer" not a simulator.  

Allot of people fail to grasp the difference.

I think with enough resources and develpoment time, a software environment capable of handling training aspects of ALL the CF's trades could be accomplished within one environment. Computers and simulation training has unlimited potential reguarding flexibility ,capability and cost effectiveness.

That being said accomplishing something with this kind of magnitude would be staggering, yet still completely attainable with todays technology and expertise behind it. The time factor for coding the requirements into the Sim, as well as factoring in scalability for the software to harware advancements also play into the easability/timefactor of accomplishing the feat.

The end results of it could be that someone could in theory boot up the sim, and go from raw recruit though to field ready soldier within a simulated environment reguardless of trade choice.

America's Army is already well on it's way to taking someone through some of the basics of what it takes to get from point a to point b within a simulated environment. And it does so rather well and efficiently.

Cheers.

I have trained with JANUS, JCATS, SIMNET and CCTT. I have also dabbled with VBS. I think that tactical simulation can certainly enhance training. I see simulation being a bit distinct from simulators. The value of simulators for things like gunnery is, I believe, pretty much taken as a given.

With regards to collective training, the SIMNET/CTCC style of trainer allowed us to train as a squadron in our crew stations against a big enemy force that fought realistically but was controlled by two people. We could not have done this in the field without a huge personnel bill for the enemy. We could practice troop/squadron engagements that we only paid lip-service to in field training. At lower levels I could see similar styles of simulation providing individuals and crews with excellent full-speed convoy training in urban environments (hard to do for real). Simulations like JANUS and JCATS let us sort out basic tactics and radio procedures in a controlled environment before hitting the field.

Looking at individual training, I think that there are limits to the utility of simulation at foundation level training for the Army unless we are talking about some kind of holodeck or Matrix. Courses like DP 1 (officer or NCM), PLQ and DP3 Crew Commander should be focused on doing the task in the field. On my CTCC, however, we used roughly two weeks of JCATS work before going to the field to make sure we had our basic combat estimate, radio orders and combat team tactics squared away before being inflicted on real soldiers. Courses like AOC need simulation. An Ops O still needs to be able to do his job in the field, but the thought process and basic staff procedures can be done in simulation.

I don't think that we could replace field training with simulation, but it can certainly enhance the overall training package.

The one thing I didn't like about JCATS was the "facilitator" - they often went ahead and did stuff that they knew would work better, or "finessed" the commands given to them by the user.

It is a fairly low-tech computer program; I've got video games that are more complex.  In this day, a computer simulation can have a simple enough interface to allow the average soldier the ability to control his or her own command and make his or her own mistakes.

Infanteer said:
It is a fairly low-tech computer program; I've got video games that are more complex. 
That is a fairly bold statement to make without knowing how things are working inside.  I can think of quite a few CAD/CAM software that looks dirt simple, but I know that the guts of it are anything but.

One thing about video games is that they are often built for excitement and provide a "Hollywood" output that thrills and looks cool.  Training simulators, for all their rough edges, put a greater emphasis on modeling realistic effects (weapons, terrain, weather, armour, etc) and so are less likely to teach bad lessons than a video game.  However, there is nothing saying that a game engine cannot be modified to produce less "Hollywood" and more real world physics.

http://www.seriousgames.org/

First I would like to thank you all for the answer, they will be helpfull.

Infanteer said:
The one thing I didn't like about JCATS was the "facilitator" - they often went ahead and did stuff that they knew would work better, or "finessed" the commands given to them by the user.

It is a fairly low-tech computer program; I've got video games that are more complex.  In this day, a computer simulation can have a simple enough interface to allow the average soldier the ability to control his or her own command and make his or her own mistakes.

I know for having work as a "facilitator" that we are suppose to do what we are told by the soldier at our side.  As for "finessing" the commands, I' not sure I understand what you mean by that.  Also JCATS doesn't really care about physics as it is more a question of probability, considering that you fire with that on this you have x% of damaging it and y% of destroying it.  (Destroy 4 Ts tank and 2 BMP with a MK coyote will training on the system, what are the chance that it happen in real life  ;)). This system is more about creating situation where commander or organisation have to take decision and must learn the proper procedure for a 9 liner or whatever else.  As far as I know there isn't many game out there where you have to do medevac or send the EOD.

If there is I would like to know as we migth be able to use it...

ettibebs said:
I am asking because I'm working in the field and I would like to know how people see it where would they want it to go.
I assume you are in contact with the folks at DLSE for information on what the Army centre is doing:  http://armyapp.dnd.ca/dlse/index_e.asp

ettibebs said:
This system is more about creating situation where commander or [headquarters] organisation have to take decision and ...
In this role I think JCATS and CAST work best when the primary training audience is not even in the same room as the simulation computers.  However, this requires the interactors be competent with radio voice procedures, or a Low-Con or secondary training audience operate next to the interactors in order to look after reports and returns. 

I recall Canadian JANUS was starting to get into some decent detail in battlefield logistics when we upgraded to JACATS.  It got down to tracking individual rounds of ammunition and forcing headquarters to manage the flow of ammunition forward.  I don't know if this has been developed for the current system.

Back