• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Switching to Infantry or staying as a Combat Engineer

Journeyman said:
Sweet.  Be the voice of reason, highlighting a false sense of initial Infantry options....then post links to Combat Divers and Pathfinders -- two courses likely awash with QL3 Thumperheads.    ;D

Hopefully the desired effect took hold, where the OP would take a look at the level of trg he is in now....watch the TDV stuff, and see the HUGE gap in ability and then...reality would pop into his thoughts and say....'whoa...dude.  We are like NOT at that level...or close.  Hell we can't even SEE that level on the horion...".

;D

The other stuff was so the OP can shake this idea that Cmbt Engineers 'have boring tasks/jobs', which IMO isn't the case.

Maybe I was too subtle??  OP...if I can quote a line from Titanic  "...you're as likely to have angels fly out your arse as you are to...."

Eye In The Sky said:
... see the HUGE gap in ability and then...reality would pop into his thoughts .....
I see your ploy getting trumped by Dunning-Kruger -- the patron saint of Recruiting threads.  >:D

Maybe I went somewhere just on the basis of "if you go here you can get on a BMQ course because its in all honesty all this crazy over advertised "high speed low drag" I wanted a job in the combat arms but I didn't want to go into a trade consisted of building bridges and FOB's Combat Diving looks really cool but you cant pick a job based on a specialty.

Soldierup,  Engineers do more then just building bridges and FOBs, etc.  It is a task they can get,  but there are other roles as well.  I'm sure there are jobs within the Infantry you feel would be boring as well.

Currently you are with the Engineers,  if I were you I would make the best out of it and get your time in there.  Also,  as mentioned earlier,  talk to the people in your unit and see what they do on exercise, etc.  Would give you a much better picture of what you actually would be doing.  If you know people in the Infantry you can ask what they do in their unit as well. 

Instead of just joining the first unit that had a open spot,  you probably should have asked a few questions and gotten a better picture of what the different units do.  I'm hoping you've learned a bit from this.

-Skeletor- said:
Soldierup,  Engineers do more then just building bridges and FOBs, etc.  It is a task they can get,  but there are other roles as well.  I'm sure there are jobs within the Infantry you feel would be boring as well.

Currently you are with the Engineers,  if I were you I would make the best out of it and get your time in there.  Also,  as mentioned earlier,  talk to the people in your unit and see what they do on exercise, etc.  Would give you a much better picture of what you actually would be doing.  If you know people in the Infantry you can ask what they do in their unit as well. 

Instead of just joining the first unit that had a open spot,  you probably should have asked a few questions and gotten a better picture of what the different units do.  I'm hoping you've learned a bit from this.
Deffinetly a few lessons learned here, not a good situation to be in a position and question it. I will ask a few people in both units what they do on field exercise.

Soldierup said:
I didn't want to go into a trade consisted of building bridges and FOB's

Oh so I must be in the wrong trade then, I went through a heck of a lot of combat as an engineer last tour, in fact on the last 3 tours, and not once did I build a bridge or a FOB. I must be wearing the wrong capbadge then. ::)

Perhaps before you go submitting OT paperwork you should actually learn what it is your current trade does.

Towards_the_gap said:
Oh so I must be in the wrong trade then, I went through a heck of a lot of combat as an engineer last tour, in fact on the last 3 tours, and not once did I build a bridge or a FOB. I must be wearing the wrong capbadge then. ::)

Perhaps before you go submitting OT paperwork you should actually learn what it is your current trade does.
Well now a GREAT time to learn. Why don't you tell me what you did on your last tour.

Soldierup, what unit are you in? don't want to put you on the spot but I might be able to tell you who to talk to - if you are in Ottawa, talk to me - I don't care where you end up going as long as you are happy with it and you are a productive member of your unit and contribute to the reserve community in your area and the Army.
(send me a PM with your email)

Unless you are in Toronto and can join the Queens Own Rifles (QOR) the chances of getting PPF are almost like winning the lottery (as a reservist)
The chances of getting a Combat diver course as a reservist are almost that low (I have seen one, maybe 2)

Kat Stevens said:
Mostly they sit in the rear designing ever more cunning ways to get the soft caramel centre into the caramilk bars.

That is the best answer I have ever heard!  :rofl:

If you have some questions please feel free to msg me. I am a Combat engineer reservist with a tour. The things you want to do are more geared towards reg force. Don't expect anything to great especially with budget cut backs abound.

As for specialty things for Engineers we get the chance to branch off into things such as EOD, Water purification, and heavy equipment.

I'll tell you this right off the bat many of the heavy equipment operaters on my tour drove there dozers directly into combat (not purposly)

Think about this though. The things you learn as a combat engineer are much more transferable into the civie world versus infantry not knocking infantry just saying.

Back