• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

''Sweden will join NATO – I am absolutely convinced of that'' -Aspiring Head of Govt Ulf Kristenssen

Sweden will open the door to NATO membership after a change of power in the autumn, and a NATO option will be issued by a new M-led government. This message is given by Ulf Kristersson in Expressen's party leader interview.

"No one can say that S will have a veto over this forever," he says.

The Conservatives are also preparing a series of reforms to allow decisions to be made on new nuclear reactors.

"The unique thing now is that we can have a government base and a government that is unequivocal on the issue," he says.

At the same time, Ulf Kristersson does not want to answer which parties will sit in his government, and does not rule out a moderate one-party government after the election.

Three weeks old news but still seems especially relevant in the current circumstances.

Sweden has a proportional electoral system, in which his right-wing coalition sits at about 48% (vs 49%, Left-wing, 3% Others) support according to the latest polling (which occurred in early Feb - it is probable that the Russian invasion may have swayed public opinion).

The election will be held in September, as the coalition stands one seat away from the majority and executive power (174/175, out of 349 total seats).

I’m surprised Canada would be in favour of accepting Ukraine into NATO. Wouldn’t that put us in an automatic war with Russia?

The time to bring them into NATO would have been 2021.

I’m surprised Canada would be in favour of accepting Ukraine into NATO. Wouldn’t that put us in an automatic war with Russia?

It wasn’t immediate acceptance, and there are caveats that can be made.
The main goal of the Ukraine in NATO was to make it absolutely clear to Russia, they are leaving and will never be allowed to succeed.

It wasn’t immediate acceptance, and there are caveats that can be made.
The main goal of the Ukraine in NATO was to make it absolutely clear to Russia, they are leaving and will never be allowed to succeed.

The Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances comprises three substantially identical political agreements signed at the OSCE conference in Budapest, Hungary, on 5 December 1994, to provide security assurances by its signatories relating to the accession of Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT). The three memoranda were originally signed by three nuclear powers: the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States.[1] China and France gave somewhat weaker individual assurances in separate documents.[2]

The memoranda, signed in Patria Hall at the Budapest Convention Center with US Ambassador Donald M. Blinken amongst others in attendance,[3] prohibited the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States from threatening or using military force or economic coercion against Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan, "except in self-defence or otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations." As a result of other agreements and the memorandum, between 1993 and 1996, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons.[4][5]

Bucharest declaration: NATO's Ukraine debate still haunted by 2008 summit​

By Andrew Gray
July 10, 20235:28 AM MDTUpdated a day ago

VILNIUS, July 10 (Reuters) - As NATO nations try to agree on Ukraine’s push for membership at a summit in Vilnius this week, an earlier gathering casts a long shadow.
At a summit in Bucharest in April 2008, NATO declared that both Ukraine and Georgia would join the U.S.-led defence alliance - but gave them no plan for how to get there.
The declaration papered over cracks between the United States, which wanted to admit both countries, and France and Germany, which feared that would antagonise Russia.

I think Ukraine has had a bellyful of guarantees.

And as to Article 5 commitments - where were the Javelins that Ukraine wanted in 2013?

Is it any wonder that some members of NATO have been exploring other options and, like Poland, beefing up their own defences and developing new alliances and supply chains?

I'll summarize.

I don't think there are any circumstances under which our current government would honour its Article V commitments. It will withdraw those troops in Latvia if things start looking serious.

But I think they will be in good company. Because, under Biden or Trump, I don't think the US will go to war to support anybody. Not unless there is a direct threat to the US or a critical US interest. Otherwise the response will be how to respond to a “minor incursion.”

Does it count if it is just the tip?

In Trudeau's case I think he is just happy to have an opportunity to cock a snook at the US. And all the better if he is on side with the UK, And France, and the majority of both the EU and NATO.

That is the split that his dad was looking for 50 years ago.

I wonder if they will be forthcoming on the Gripens for Ukraine now.

I doubt it. The government would fall if they started posting the cost of a glass of Orange Juice ;)
Probably cheaper than in Canada. I’ve lived in Europe for the last 6 years and I am shocked at how expensive everything in Canada seems to have gotten.

this is incorrect, ukrainian pilots only did an evaluation on the JAS-39 for two weeks. The conversion course for the JAS-39 is 11 weeks min according to the current training program. So unless they were secretly training they still need to do so, but Sweden did say JAS-39 going to ukraine was dependent on NATO membership, and that the opposition has already tabled a motion in parliament to do so.

this is incorrect, ukrainian pilots only did an evaluation on the JAS-39 for two weeks. The conversion course for the JAS-39 is 11 weeks min according to the current training program. So unless they were secretly training they still need to do so, but Sweden did say JAS-39 going to ukraine was dependent on NATO membership, and that the opposition has already tabled a motion in parliament to do so.
dont piss in my oatmeal man. I want to believe this, I need to believe this

Back