• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

sweaters

mazda3mazdaspeed

Inactive
Reaction score
My BMQ starts JAN 20 in Saint John NB reserves. I was thinking this morning, I didn't get a sweater! Do they expect me to train outside with a tee-shirt, camo jacket, and coat? Will I be issued a sweater when BMQ starts? If not I truely will be a shivering soldier. Also wondering if I will be getting sweat pants and tee that say ARMY on it. Thanks buds!

mazda3mazdaspeed said:
My BMQ starts JAN 20 in Saint John NB reserves. I was thinking this morning, I didn't get a sweater! Do they expect me to train outside with a tee-shirt, camo jacket, and coat? Will I be issued a sweater when BMQ starts? If not I truely will be a shivering soldier. Also wondering if I will be getting sweat pants and tee that say ARMY on it. Thanks buds!

Don't wory about it...trust me.  NO you will not get sweat pants and shirt with "army" on it......thats US army......

mazda3mazdaspeed said:

What do you mean by train outside?

You bring your own PT clothes. And if there's a gym available, you'll likely be training in that anyway, unless snow clearing is particularly good. That's for anything such as running, circuit training, etc.

Nothing quite as good as an early morning web march through sloppy wet snow, unless it includes a stop to do sit-ups in a big puddle of slush. Mmm mmm good.

Yeah running in deep snow sucks.

I was running around with the dog in snow that was almost to my waist and forgot about the big hole in the ground with a board arcoss it and managed to run right into it but caught my knee on the board and that stopped me from falling in it.

So do the boots you get for cold weather have steel toes?

1. You will be issued the regular boots. No gortex until SQ or MOC training.

2. Bring your own PT clothing. The course sets its own standard. Typically, it is grey track pants / shorts and an OD t-shirt. You may be able to get away with black shorts. It all depends on your course staff. I've been on a course were they didn't care at all. But, if you get the urge to buy PT clothing before you are actually on course, than you can't go wrong with grey track pants, grey shorts, and an OD t-shirt.

3.  Yes, you will run in the snow, the slush, etc. And, you will do push-ups in it as well. Some days, you may even grace a gym with your recruit presence -- it all depends on whether your course staff are a bunch of sadistic bastards or not, and whether facilities are available.  You'll just have to learn to suck it up and take whatever they throw at you.

4. You don't need a sweater to train outside. Wear your fleece top, with the poly pro shirt underneath and a t-shirt. And, wear long undies and cloth track pants and you should be good-to-go in most weather. You'll be running a lot, which means you'll warm up, which also means you don't have to bundle up for snowmobiling, etc.

AGAIN, I'd like to stress that your course staff will set the standards. Just go to the first weekend with what you've got, and then they will let you know what (and what not) to bring / wear. I can give you bags of hints and advice, but it won't do you any good if the course staff sets their own standards.

argylls_recruiting said:

4. You don't need a sweater to train outside. Wear your fleece top, with the poly pro shirt underneath and a t-shirt. And, wear long undies and cloth track pants and you should be good-to-go in most weather. You'll be running a lot, which means you'll warm up, which also means you don't have to bundle up for snowmobiling, etc.
Absolutely correct.
When I was an avid runner, (two winters ago,) I'd do 10 km every other day... I wore long johns and then my stretchy running pants, spandex longsleeve shirt, windbreaker, hat, mits and something or other to cover my nose and mouth. You'll get hot, fast. You'll start to sweat, and the only thing you have to remember with sweat is that it FREEZES! No matter HOW HOT you are, don't take off your jacket/fleece cause your sweat will freeze and then you'll be like a walking icicle.

Another thing I can recommend, is if you're running in the snow, wear nice warm socks. You can buy special "running" socks from athletics stores, and they range anywhere from 10 to 25 bucks.

Good luck!

argylls_recruiting said:

Do they get issued all the IECS stuff for basic now? (fleece, poly pro, etc?)  I know when I did mine I got ALL the old stuff so he mite hafta use the old cotton long johns (which soak up sweat like no tommorow).

Back