• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Surrey man may lose finger after pet cobra bites him

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Article Link

Here's the kicker.  The guy owns a venomous snake, gets bit by said snake and then complains that the Surrey Memorial Hospital doesn't carry anti-venom for cobra bites.

Uh, hello?  That's like having a Hummer and griping that you don't get a cut on gas prices.

It also states further in the article that he had his friend bring in anti-venom from a private collector but the doctors refused to administer it.  Can't blame them.  Can you imagine someone having (for instance) an asthma attack and the hospital having no inhalers and someone coming in and saying "Oh, give them this, I make it in my kitchen."  Oh, the lawsuits!!!

Oh, Darwin, you misunderstood genius... :D

Do you say the same thing to dog owners when their dog attacks them?

The article said he was in the hospital for a week. I'm sure he told them the cause of the problem. With the breed of snake and all. He obviously had enough time to send for a friend to get ahold of a exotic pet collector to fly him in some anti-venom and get it to the hospital, but did the hospital send for any from their sources? Doesn't really clearify that in the article.

I use to own a ball python that I fed live mice. The occasion it would move around like it was feeding time when I was taking it out. Sometimes even striking my finger. Mind you if it was a poisonious snake I'd have probably been alot more careful, but I see how something like this could happen.

Hell-lo!! McFly!!

What a numpty. Perhaps he should have covered the enclosure with the tinfoil he used to make his hat.

Some people's children.  ::)

ixium said:

IMHO, a dog bite to the finger is a little bit different than a bit from a venomous snake.

If you want to go the dog route, try this one.  The parents leave the child unattended with a pit bull who has a bone.  Dog bites kid but who pays in the end?  The dog, not the parents who obviously do not supervise their child or their dog.

PMedMoe said:
IMHO, a dog bite to the finger is a little bit different than a bit from a venomous snake.

If you want to go the dog route, try this one.  The parents leave the child unattended with a pit bull who has a bone.  Dog bites kid but who pays in the end?  The dog, not the parents who obviously do not supervise their child or their dog.

Now there's an idea putting the owners to sleep.

Most dogs aren't going to bite just a finger...maybe the hand. It can cause all types of problems if it hits certain spots.

Any types of pets run a risk of problems.

Good link, recceguy.
If someone wants to keep a venomous snake, they should be trained as stated in the article link in my first post. 
Gary Oliver, an expert in snakes, said this latest incident demonstrates the need for government regulation on prohibiting poisonous cobras from being kept as pets.

"They shouldn't be in homes unless the person is qualified and gone through some form of certification and it's all registered," he said.

Here's some good reading.

Edit to add:  Although, to be equal, some people should have training before they have a dog.....or children!

ixium said:

The article said he was in the hospital for a week. I'm sure he told them the cause of the problem. With the breed of snake and all. He obviously had enough time to send for a friend to get ahold of a exotic pet collector to fly him in some anti-venom and get it to the hospital, but did the hospital send for any from their sources? Doesn't really clearify that in the article.

I use to own a ball python that I fed live mice. The occasion it would move around like it was feeding time when I was taking it out. Sometimes even striking my finger. Mind you if it was a poisonious snake I'd have probably been alot more careful, but I see how something like this could happen.

Are you really as thick as this makes you sound?  Well done you, you owned a snake, Steve Irwin would be proud.  IT'S A FUCKING COBRA, the reptilian equivalent of an insomniac crack addicted great white shark.  So this tool has a cool toxic avenger in his home, and, wonder of all wonders, the disloyal beast has the gall to do what cobras do, bite things and shoot poison into them.  Maybe I was wrong mentioning Darwin, as the guy is still alive, so apparently it's survival of the thickest, not fittest.  Live long and prosper.

ixium said:

I see you are from the "stupid people are not responsible" crowd

awesome

As the saying goes: "Play with fire and you are going to get burned"

As I understand it there are currently no exotic pet bylaws in B.C., but I would venture a guess that this event will provide a bit of forward momentum for those pushing for them.

Hansen said he shouldn't be blamed for keeping a highly poisonous animal as a pet and likens his cobra to a pitbull.

I don't have experience with either a snake nor a pitbull, however are these two animals even comparable?

He added that he wants to keep his pet.

Does anyone know what the outcome will be? or could venture an educated guess? He compares his snake to a pitbull, and it is my understanding that if a dog such as a pitbull attacks someone, owner or not, it is(or could be)deemed a dangerous dog and measures are then taken (perhaps resulting in the dog being put down?).

I know a guy who had a python.

One evening he was soaking in a warm bath with his eyes closed.
The snake was in the washroom with him enjoying the heat and humidity.

He opened his eyes to see that the python had focused on something.
The object was just above water level and was bobbing in the water
about mid way between his nose and his feet.

The python was coiling to strike!

AT HIS NAUGHTY BITS!    ;D

He jumped out of the tub just in time and put "his snake" away.

Hard to call the guy stupid though.......He's now a Phd and teaches in an American university.  

Michael O`Leary said:

I know a few years ago a family here in Kelowna lost their children due to having a dangerous pet (a boa I believe), they of course gave up their boa to get their children back, however I have heard the same thing happening with parents that own certain dogs that are deemed overly agressive. Anyone know anything more on this?

Well if you play with fire your going to get burned..... period end of story.....

JBoyd said:
As I understand it there are currently no exotic pet bylaws in B.C., but I would venture a guess that this event will provide a bit of forward momentum for those pushing for them.

Well, the article states that the hospital does not carry the antivenin as it is expensive and has a short shelf life.  Perhaps, those that wish to own venomous snakes should be required to stock their own antivenin at their expense.

Imagine if the snake had gotten out and bitten someone else?  :eek:

Aside from a trained herpetologist I can't see the need for "Joe Public" to own a venomous snake....especially one as potentially lethal as a cobra....I have no sympathy for this clown!

We obviously need a federal snake registry, maybe create a Canadian Snake Centre to centralize things for "efficiency", snake owner's licencing, training etc etc... hey if it saves one life!  ::)

Back