• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sunset of 419 Squadron, for now

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
As part of the transition to F35, lead in fighter training will now go to NATO schools in Texas, Italy and Finland. 419 Squadron will go on Hiatus until the future when we get a 5th gen lead in trainer.

As part of the transition to F35, lead in fighter training will now go to NATO schools in Texas, Italy and Finland. 419 Squadron will go on Hiatus until the future when we get a 5th gen lead in trainer.

Road Trip Summer GIF by @SummerBreak

At the same time they cut the travel budget.....

So what's the next Hawk replacement......M-346 or T-7/A?

I guess I'm missing something. How is shutting down the CAF own training and farming it out to other countries "reaffirming its presence at a major multinational jet pilot training school"?

Wouldn't it be nice if we thought 24 years of service was a standard benchmark for other equipment.

I guess I'm missing something. How is shutting down the CAF own training and farming it out to other countries "reaffirming its presence at a major multinational jet pilot training school"?
I mean if we had 1 instructor and 2 students, and now have 4 instructors and 12 students, that would be reaffirming a presence? Only slightly facetious here, and numbers are all made up. I have no idea how many we have at Sheppard, or how many we’ll be sending.

Wouldn't it be nice if we thought 24 years of service was a standard benchmark for other equipment.
I mean it depends on the equipment as well as the maintenance regimen. Don’t forget that the USAF is still operating aircraft from the 50s/60s (KC-135, E-3, B-52) in frontline roles. The USN E-2 and C-2 are 60s-vintage as well.

I mean it depends on the equipment as well as the maintenance regimen. Don’t forget that the USAF is still operating aircraft from the 50s/60s (KC-135, E-3, B-52) in frontline roles. The USN E-2 and C-2 are 60s-vintage as well.
They more than likely have the maintenance contracts, technicians, spare parts and the will.
Ever seen the parts Depot, formerly a GM vehicle assembly line, near Tinker AFB?

They more than likely have the maintenance contracts, technicians, spare parts and the will.
Ever seen the parts Depot, formerly a GM vehicle assembly line, near Tinker AFB?
I can’t find the article but I believe one of the reasons is lack of spares, even with the Boneyard. Those are aircraft hulls but likely not engines or random electronic equipment from the 1970s.

The E-3 is being replaced by the E-7 (737 airframe), the KC-135 is being replaced by something, the C-2 was going to be replaced by a version of the V-22 Osprey but unlikely now, and the B-52 will carry on until we develop Warp Drive.

I can’t find the article but I believe one of the reasons is lack of spares, even with the Boneyard. Those are aircraft hulls but likely not engines or random electronic equipment from the 1970s.

The E-3 is being replaced by the E-7 (737 airframe), the KC-135 is being replaced by something, the C-2 was going to be replaced by a version of the V-22 Osprey but unlikely now, and the B-52 will carry on until we develop Warp Drive.

1709873164468.png

I mean if we had 1 instructor and 2 students, and now have 4 instructors and 12 students, that would be reaffirming a presence? Only slightly facetious here, and numbers are all made up. I have no idea how many we have at Sheppard, or how many we’ll be sending.

And it seems the students will be using the T-38C Talon which date back to the '60s. Isn't that the same basic airframe of the (C)F-5?

And it seems the students will be using the T-38C Talon which date back to the '60s. Isn't that the same basic airframe of the (C)F-5?
Yes but it will be replaced by the T-7 soon.

Interesting comparison to the Indigenous Services budget.

Yes but it will be replaced by the T-7 soon.

More delays or same same?

Boeing isn't doing too good lately.

Interesting comparison to the Indigenous Services budget.

More delays or same same?

Boeing isn't doing too good lately.
That article's premise is wrong.

The RCAF isn't ending pilot training - it is ending lead-in training for the CF-18 (AKA 419 Sqn) because we're transitioning to the F-35. Portage and Moose Jaw are still training pilots.

The RCAF isn't ending pilot training - it is ending lead-in training for the CF-18 (AKA 419 Sqn) because we're transitioning to the F-35. Portage and Moose Jaw are still training pilots.

Absolutely, but that headline wouldn't get the clicks. We haven't finalized a Hawk replacement program (aircraft) yet so anything is possible...

Absolutely, but that headline wouldn't get the clicks. We haven't finalized a Hawk replacement program (aircraft) yet so anything is possible...
But in normie world.....The RCAF is fighter pilots. So the main push of the piece is very on point.

Plus the loss of this will cause it to be even more expensive when stood back up.

Its still funny Hawks too old......so here train on T-38's.....which are how old?

So you're saying Canada is physically to small to constrain fighter pilot egos and training?

Back