• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Summer Training and CFB Edmonton Questions

CFB Edmonton

• Is going to be a good time

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Will not be a good time

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

JC2213

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I am leaving shortly for CFB Edmonton for my QL-3 MSEOp summer training as PRes. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations particular to CFB Edmonton or has recommendations for newbies to summer training on a CFB.

Some particular questions I have:
1. Regarding packing your rucksack for air transport, can one simply strap the valise and air mattress to the ruck and toss it in for check baggage? I don't have a luggage big enough to put my rucksack frame into so I was wondering if I could just check in the whole thing assembled.
2. Do you need to bring your own laundry detergent/hangers, or are they provided in laundry rooms/bedrooms?
3. How is the mosquito situation? Would you recommend purchasing your own stronger repellents?
4. Is getting to Calgary for week-ends off worth the trip?
5. Top recreational activities to do on down time?

Cheers and thanks in advance,

J

Hey -

1. I've shipped my ruck several times exactly as you described - though I'd check with the regs of each airline prior to doing so.

2. Not sure about the training shacks, but in regular shacks I had to provide both.

3.  Edmonton mosquito situation I've found is marginal, especially compared to other bases.  That being said there are some, so if you can't handle bug bites.....etc.

4.  Calgary is worth the trip, especially if you can get down for the Stampede.  Otherwise you should be able to get most of what you are looking for in Edmonton proper.

5.  Hard to Answer - Edmonton has a pretty interesting local Theatre scene, as well as Whyte Avenue.  West Edmonton Mall usually satisfies most vistors who want to shop, and the River Valley is the largest park in North America.  Fort Edmonton Park (Historic Site) is another excellent place to spend a day or two. What are you looking for?

JC2213

to let you know you will be going to 3 CDTC D Coy for your QL3. if you have not been told you will be doing your field phase in the Wainwright Trg Area late Aug. You will probably buying your laundry detergent and hanger at Canex, so don't bring.  You will be working most weekends but there is a chance you can get to Calgary. this is due to the number of days on Class B and the number of days the TP says you have to train. Barracks could be a bull pen with bunk beds for the summer. How do i know, I was once the posted there and saw 3 MSE Op QL3 in 3 different summers. have fun

Thanks for the replies!

I was looking for something to do in the way of hiking and things to see, but your recommendations helped - i'll most likely check out the park.

JC2213 said:
Hi,

I am leaving shortly for CFB Edmonton for my QL-3 MSEOp summer training as PRes. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations particular to CFB Edmonton or has recommendations for newbies to summer training on a CFB.

Some particular questions I have:
1. Regarding packing your rucksack for air transport, can one simply strap the valise and air mattress to the ruck and toss it in for check baggage? I don't have a luggage big enough to put my rucksack frame into so I was wondering if I could just check in the whole thing assembled.
2. Do you need to bring your own laundry detergent/hangers, or are they provided in laundry rooms/bedrooms?
3. How is the mosquito situation? Would you recommend purchasing your own stronger repellents?
4. Is getting to Calgary for week-ends off worth the trip?
5. Top recreational activities to do on down time?

Cheers and thanks in advance,

J

1. You can always get in bagged with the transparent shopping bag like material they use to cover really big/unorthodox luggage. It was free for me.
2. You can pick up detergent from the 2 canex stores, no real point
3. I never use the stuff, doesn't really do much and it isn't Shilo
4. As Ayrsayle said the Stampede is fun times, lots of girls in short shorts looking to ride cowboys (no joke)
5. Jasper is really close by, Banff is a weekend trip lots of hiking, rafting outdoorsy stuff. The kicking horse is always fun for white water rafting.

Back