• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Summer 2006 reserve CAP

adrock

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've recently applied RESO (Inf) and am currently waiting for my medical to go through, but barring any problems I should be starting doing weekend BMQ in January. Now the Cpt. I talked to said that all going well I'll be on the Jan-April course and then soon after to CAP, but even he was unsure of the length of it and when it starts for reservists, and I've heard conflicting things about its length from anywhere from 8-15 weeks and that it is not only reservists or it is just reservists and now I'm just confused  :crybaby:

So can someone shed some light on this?

Adrock,

CAP runs in serials and it's currently seven weeks for reservists with limited availability (this is latest information I have altho' this seems to change with alarming frequency and reports vary from unit to unit and even participant to participant with some claiming its 10 weeks and others 7 weeks - so just take an average - it's probably about 8 weeks long give or take  ;D) - you can take various "modules" of two weeks in length but the final three weeks has to be completed as a continuous block (or so I've been told by a guy in our unit who is doing the new and improved CAP).   The modules are designed to allow you to progress without having to redo the entire program ie if you fail on the second module you only have to redo that module - not start again from scratch. The old CAP reserve course (CAP-R) has been eliminated in favour of a blended regular and reserve CAP.   There is supposed to be a component of the current CAP which can be completed at your home unit but I haven't seen anything on this yet - stand by.   As for starting dates there are a variety of them depending on your availability.

You can also search on this site for additional information.

cheers, mdh

mdh said:
Adrock,

CAP runs in serials and it's currently seven weeks for reservists with limited availability (this is latest information I have altho' this seems to change with alarming frequency and reports vary from unit to unit and even participant to participant with some claiming its 10 weeks and others 7 weeks - so just take an average - it's probably about 8 weeks long give or take   ;D) - you can take various "modules" of two weeks in length but the final three weeks has to be completed as a continuous block (or so I've been told by a guy in our unit who is doing the new and improved CAP).   The modules are designed to allow you to progress without having to redo the entire program ie if you fail on the second module you only have to redo that module - not start again from scratch. The old CAP reserve course (CAP-R) has been eliminated in favour of a blended regular and reserve CAP.   There is supposed to be a component of the current CAP which can be completed at your home unit but I haven't seen anything on this yet - stand by.   As for starting dates there are a variety of them depending on your availability.

You can also search on this site for additional information.

cheers, mdh

Unless it's all changed (again), CAP is eleven weeks, period.  There is no distinction between regular and reserve, the courses are going to be all integrated.  The seven week CAP that ran this summer was designed to catch up those who were CAP(R) "legacy candidates" and to handle Reservists who could not start at the end of May.  There were some PO's deleted that have to be "caught up" at home units, but I don't know if they're going to do it that way again next year... there are some SMEs from the School of Cool on this board, they might have the int.

From seeing the experience of the people in the seven week CAP, my advice is don't go that route, get on a regular serial, even if you can only do some of the modules.  They got the firehose, and really didn't get the chance to develop as much I don't think.  Their course this summer was chaos, long nights, not much time on weekends, etc.  Those of us who were on the regular CAP serials got some downtime to study and so on, and more time to interact with each other and our instructors, making for a much better experience.

I keep hearing all of this talk about MOD's in the various officer training courses. It looks like I'll be doing the DP 1.1 Infantry Officer course this summer.  Does anyone know if that course is broken down into MOD's?

Redeye said:
Unless it's all changed (again), CAP is eleven weeks, period.   There is no distinction between regular and reserve, the courses are going to be all integrated.   The seven week CAP that ran this summer was designed to catch up those who were CAP(R) "legacy candidates" and to handle Reservists who could not start at the end of May.  

We had 2 candidates from our unit on CAP this summer.  One on the regular 10 week CAP and on on the "Centralized" 7 week CAP.

The one who was on the 7 week CAP also did his BOTP this summer, so there wasn't enough time to do BOTP and CAP.  He now is doing the remaining POs through a weeked "De-centralized" CAP run by the Bde Battle School.

Both CAPs had both Res and Reg, though in the 7 week, the Res and Reg were in different platoons.

The current CAP is 5 2-week modules.  This may, however, change for 2006 because the course still seems to be in flux.

I'm in the same boat.  I have the entire summer to train, but it looks like I will only be able to complete CAP and not occupational training.  Does anybody know the time line for Artillery officer Phase III in Gagetown?

Thanks.

begbie,
to answer your question, yes the DP 1.1 infantry course wil be run in MOD's.  You can find the break down of the course schedule on the DIN. 

Begbie,
make sure you get on the DIN like he said. There is all sorts of stuff on there you will need to look at and even a pre course package you are going to have to fill out before you show up. There are about 40 or so pages of questions and other crap. I say crap because we had to fill the same sort of thing out before showing up for CAP.  Up on arrival, the staff had never heard of the pre course package that so many people were racing to finish. There is also a test in the first few days once you get there testing what you should have learned on CAP.

See you out there May 29th...

Back