• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suicide bomber injures Afghan in attack on Canadian troops Wed, 27 Sep 2006

patrick666

Inactive
Reaction score
Suicide bomber injures Afghan in attack on Canadian troops
Last Updated Wed, 27 Sep 2006 06:31:16 EDT
CBC News

Canadian soldiers escaped injury on Wednesday when a suicide bomber tried to ram a vehicle in a Canadian military convoy in Afghanistan.

The attack injured one Afghan civilian and damaged a Canadian military vehicle, a R-31 Nyala, in Kandahar. No troops were injured.

The bomber died in the attack.

The convoy was driving from the countryside through the city of Kandahar on its way to the main NATO base at Kandahar airfield when the bomber, driving what appeared to be a minivan in front of the convoy, pulled over and turned around and drove into one of the convoy vehicles.

The soldiers in the targeted vehicle said it happened suddenly and quickly.

"They said it all happened extremely fast. A bright flash of light, a dull thud, and then it was over," said CBC reporter Chris Brown in Kandahar. "None of the Canadians involved in the convoy were hurt, but it was a very, very close call."

After the attack, the entire convoy made a slight detour to go to the nearest secure place for Canadian troops and drove to provincial reconstruction headquarters about a kilometre away in Kandahar City.

"The vehicle itself — we saw when it came in — was damaged. It was smoking, but it was under its own steam," he said.

The Canadian Forces sent 50 Nyalas to Afghanistan in April. The Nyalas are designed to withstand landmine blasts.

Canada has more than 2,000 troops in Afghanistan, with the majority stationed in Kandahar. Thirty-six Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have died in Afghanistan since Canada first sent troops there in early 2002.

Good to hear they're okay.  :salute: :cdn:

Thankfully no Canadians where hurt!  :D

Yet another example of Taliban waste,... a minivan can certainly hold more then one of them!

Thank goodness no Canadian troops where hurt during the attack

Newsworld had it on this AM. (I watch in the gym).  The RG 31 was driving into the PRT camp under it's own power but there was something lodged in the passenger side window.  Looks like it could have been much worse.  I guess that veh just paid for itself!

Over there we (my company) found the RG-31 to be a maint nightmare when used off the main roads but I would say that I certainly wanted one with my Pl convoys, particularly when in the Gonbad area (despite the breakdowns) because if you got hit by an IED or suicide bomber it was the veh of choice to survive uninjured. One of the bigger IED our guys hit around that area hit a RG and although the 2 guys in the veh went home, they still had all their parts and are doing OK

LOL

[/hijack]

Needless to say I am glad our guys are safe this time.

Hmmm.... Thank God!?!
With a little bit of help from RSA

Too bad there was only one person in the panel truck :(

The Nyala - http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Feature_Story/2005/05/26/KA2005-R105-0316d.jpg

"The primary task for the engineers was to provide freedom of movement for the Canadian elements of the operation by conducting designations of the routes to be used. A route designation is a very time consuming but essential activity that entails first positioning the engineer vehicles at the beginning of a road, observing that road for a given time, then assessing the traffic travelling on it and finally watching for any signs of mines or unexploded ordnance (UXOs).

Once the engineers believe there is a low risk on the route, a report is sent to the headquarters at Camp Julien requesting authorization to travel the potentially-mined route with a special engineer vehicle called a Nyala. The Nyala is an armoured, wheeled vehicle designed to withstand the blast from an anti-tank mine if it were to inadvertently drive over one."

Patrick,
Wrong Nyala.  There are two in service:
http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/RG-31_Nyala_Armoured_Patrol_Vehicle (this is the one you want)
http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/RG-31_Nyala_Mine_Protected_Vehicle (this is the one in the article)

Oh, my bad. Thanks for the correction. Looks more like something that can withstand a suicide-van now..

Hey, saw ABC had a nice picture of our RG rolling in, smoke coming out. Anyone know where we could get a bigger version of the pic, anyone seen one?
The RG-31 will be back on the road after some repairs, while the SVBIED was almost vaporized, only little piece the ANP swept to the side of the road. The guys were very happy with the RG-31 in this case, obviously.

Well, back to work!
Out!

I am glad to hear the boys made it out alright.  And just the thought that the asshole will arrive in Paradise sans servants and virgins makes me smile.

Back