• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Subsidized Education - ROTP

A couple years ago I had to drop out of University due to financial reasons and a lack of motivation on my part. Things are a lot better now but i'm curious if I would still be considered for RMC having already gone to university? I've only completed 10 courses (equivalent of a full year). Thanks in advance

As long as you have a minimum of two years remaining, as stated in other topics on this subject, you will still be eligible for subsidized education through ROTP.  That being said, your previous marks in High School and University will be looked at and will be a huge factor in whether or not you will be competitive enough to be accepted into the Plan.

I too have previously dropped out of college (10 years ago) and am applying to ROTP.  My highschool marks weren't the best nor were my previous college marks.  However, I have been accepted into the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at my current school.  Previous to this acceptance I took a certificate program in Pre-Health sciences.  My avg in my most recent program was 90%.  I was told that they would only look at my current marks (the 90%) as it was a long time ago since highschool.  I don't know how long you have been out of school however, I would assume they would take your most recent marks from university from what I am to understand.

Am I wrong?

As far as I know, they will want to see everything. I graduated from high school in 1990, and they still wanted to see my transcripts when I applied in 2007! Good luck! Do whatever you can to make yourself a good candidate now (fitness, knowledge of your trade, etc), and hopefully that will counterbalance any bad grades you had in the past.

About that minimum 2 years remaining thing: if one enters RMC, do you think it'd be possible after completing RMC degrees to go back and finish the remaining 2 years through part-time education while serving in one's occupation, or barring that, take a leave of absence after the mandatory 5 years to complete it (and have 2 degrees) before signing on for another term of enlistment?

tyciol said:
About that minimum 2 years remaining thing: if one enters RMC, do you think it'd be possible after completing RMC degrees to go back and finish the remaining 2 years through part-time education while serving in one's occupation, or barring that, take a leave of absence after the mandatory 5 years to complete it (and have 2 degrees) before signing on for another term of enlistment?

If you want to complete a degree on your own time while you're working, you can. It depends on how busy you are at work etc, and junior officers often have 'professional development' courses etc that you have to complete.

You can also release after your contract, go back to school then re-apply to the CF...if you want (although the CF won't normally, if ever, subsidise you for a second undergrad degree).

Hey again everyone,

First let me assure you two thing: 1. I did about 6 hours of searching on these forums looking for a DEFINATIVE answer to my question. 2. This morning i took a trip to the CFRC (which is where my confusion initially rose)

I sat with a recruiter, and i told him i have everything filled out, but instead of the reserves i wanted to join the regular force (ROTP was my first choice entry plan). He said that might be a problem since i have already finished 2 years of my degree (and its too late to subsidize for the 3rd year since it starts within a month). That leaves the ROTP subsidization for only one year. He wasn't too sure if this was allowed, so he asked another recruiter B who was behind him, recruiter B first said that it was allowed, then he asked recruiter C who said it wasn't allowed, then recruiter B decided to change his mind, until recruiter D came along and changed recruiter C's mind  :crybaby: . And no, im not joking around with you guys/gals, this really happend - in the end, the recruiter said OK, and gave me a ROTP form to fill out. But i still didn't get a definative answer from them (i.e. i don't want to fill out these forums only to go back and be told that i can't apply anymore.

So i read more then enough share of threads with people in similar position as i am. To be honest, there is no definative answer to my question - some people claim that they only got 1 year of ROTP, while others claim that its not allowed.

Does anyone have a DEFINATIVE answer, preferably with a official link/reference? I just can't rely on words or conversation anymore (no offence to anyone), i want to reply on official definative information.

Also, has first hand experience/story of people in similar situation should be shared :cdn:

Hey,

Althought I don't have a definitive answer to your question, after reading the post I thought I would mention CEOTP as it seem you might meet that criteria. I am sure you have come across it in your research already.

The other thing I did when I was given information that was not clear or required a more definitive answer I went on the forces.ca site and logged into the online chat to recruiter feature. On some occasions they had the latest or more accutate information for me. This might help you too.

Good luck,

I don't have a reference but I can tell you that I know of at least 3 people off hand that were only subsidized one year.  Hope that helps. 

For Subsidized Education under ROTP you require a minimum of two years left towards your Degree.  If you have one year left, why don't you just finish it and apply as DEO?

As for your six hours of searching, I can positively say, you failed as I have already answered this question before; as recently as within the past 20 days.  To prove it I will merge this topic into the appropriate topic in the ROTP forum (NOT RECRUITING) for you.

George Wallace said:
For Subsidized Education under ROTP you require a minimum of two years left towards your Degree.  If you have one year left, why don't you just finish it and apply as DEO?

As for your six hours of searching, I can positively say, you failed as I have already answered this question before; as recently as within the past 20 days.  To prove it I will merge this topic into the appropriate topic in the ROTP forum (NOT RECRUITING) for you.

Hi Wallace,

As i mentioned in my previous post, i was looking for a DEFINITIVE answer. Please try to remember i am new to this forum, so i am still not sure who to trust, which is exactly why i stated i need documented information rather then mere words (Don't get me wrong, its not that i don't trust you or anyone else on these forums, rather, i would like to make an informed decision). Now, this may come as a surprise to you, but i DID read your posts about ROTP (not only those 20 days ago, but those going back many months ago :) ). However, some members disagree with you, either due to first hand experience or through a friend who has been in a similar situation.

Now, as you said, subsidized education under ROTP require a minimum of two years left towards my degree, however, a couple recruiters at the CFRC disagree with you (as i mentioned in my original post). I hope you understand why my 6 hours of searching (and reading, i wasn't just searching words for those six hours ;D) led to no DEFINITIVE answers.

Also, Wallace, i have two more years left to my degree, not one year. But since one of those two years is about to start in less then a month, ROTP is not possible for the upcoming year (according to the CFRC). But yes, DEO was my second option, but i wanted some definitive answers about ROTP before i go through that path.

Lastly, i saw MANY posts, such as the one above by 'Quag', that some people they know have recieved subsidized education for only one year - any explanation to that? :cdn:

Engineer79 said:
As i mentioned in my previous post, i was looking for a DEFINITIVE answer. Please try to remember i am new to this forum, so i am still not sure who to trust, which is exactly why i stated i need documented information rather then mere words (Don't get me wrong, its not that i don't trust you or anyone else in these forums, but i would like to make an informed decision). Now, as this may come as a surprise to you i DID read your posts about ROTP (not only those 20 days ago, but those going back many months ago :) ).

Now, as you said, subsidized education under ROTP require a minimum of two years left towards my degree, however, a couple recruiters at the CFRC disagree with you (as i mentioned in my original post). I hope you understand why my 6 hours of searching (and reading, i wasn't just searching words for those six hours ;D) led to no DEFINITIVE answers.

Also, Wallace, i have two more years left to my degree, not one year. But since one of those two years is about to start in less then a month, ROTP is not possible for the upcoming year (according to the CFRC). But yes, DEO was my second option, but i wanted some definitive answers about ROTP before i go through that path.

Lastly, i saw MANY posts, such as the one above by 'Quag', that some people they know have recieved subsidized education for only one year - any explanation to that?

::)

If you really want "a DEFINITIVE answer" and you "need documented information rather then mere words", then you have come to the wrong place.  You will only get that at the CFRC.  This is an UNOFFICIAL Canadian Forces Site, that happens to be privately owned. 

I also am finding it hard to believe that you have two years of education at an institution of higher learning, if you don't know the proper use of capitalization of the word "I". 

The current rules at the CFRC for persons applying for ROTP are that they must have a minimum of two years left towards their Degree.  If you do not meet that criteria, then you are not eligible.  You have two choices:
1. Try to apply under another Entry Plan; or
2. Walk away.

Is that clear enough for you?

George Wallace said:
::)

If you really want "a DEFINITIVE answer" and you "need documented information rather then mere words", then you have come to the wrong place.  You will only get that at the CFRC.  This is an UNOFFICIAL Canadian Forces Site, that happens to be privately owned. 

I also am finding it hard to believe that you have two years of education at an institution of higher learning, if you don't know the proper use of capitalization of the word "I". 

The current rules at the CFRC for persons applying for ROTP are that they must have a minimum of two years left towards their Degree.  If you do not meet that criteria, then you are not eligible.  You have two choices:
1. Try to apply under another Entry Plan; or
2. Walk away.

Is that clear enough for you?

First of all, If I was rude in my previous post, I apologize, because I really wasn't trying to be. I would also like to apologize for this post, because it will sound rude.

I noticed that you always have a problem with two thing, grammar and people that have a higher level of education. Lets face it, most people on here would agree that I used sufficiently good grammar for an unofficial forum :2c:. Also, why do you have to bring up my educational background? Engineers are known for bad grammar and spelling :). Regardless, I've noticed that you have some superiority issues with people that have attended an institution of higher learning. Finally, don't judge, for all you know, i could have learned English a few years back, and Engineering at U of T doesn't necessarily teach you good grammar and spelling. I found that ignorant and just needed to get it off my chest.

Back to topic. For the third time, CFRC did not have a documented answer. In fact, they sent me home with a ROTP form to fill out. So they think that I am allowed to join ROTP, and you think otherwise. Was that clear enough for you? Because it really isn't for me :cdn:

P.S. If you really want to play the grammar game with me, then you might want to back back and check this sentence of yours "If you do not meet that criteria, then you are not eligible."  ::)

Engineer79 said:
First of all, If I was rude in my previous post, I apologize, because I really wasn't trying to be.

P.S. If you really want to play the grammar game with me, then you might want to back back and check this sentence of yours "If you do not meet that criteria, then you are not eligible."  ::)

George Wallace is trying to help out and you literally went from apologizing for possibly coming across as rude to smacking him in the face.

Sort yourself out.

The Army.ca Staff

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
George Wallace is trying to help out and you literally went from apologizing for possibly coming across as rude to smacking him in the face.

Sort yourself out.

The Army.ca Staff

If Wallace had said "Capitalize your I's" then that would have been a polite suggestion. But, he managed to go through the trouble of combining my educational background and lack of perfect grammar on an unofficial forum to make himself feel superior. Never once did I say anything rude before that comment, so excuse me if I am being a little self-defensive. :cdn:

If you take the constructive comments of George Wallace personal enough that you feel you must write a novel to retort, you should rethink the career choice you're about to make.

Not the way I would respond to someone that has over 30 years of experience and knowledge about how members (including possible future Ocdts) should conduct themselves.

Where is that "not this shit again" picture when you need it........

Must be "newbie with an attitude week" or something !

Engineer79 said:
First of all, If I was rude in my previous post, I apologize, because I really wasn't trying to be. I would also like to apologize for this post, because it will sound rude.

I noticed that you always have a problem with two thing, grammar and people that have a higher level of education. Lets face it, most people on here would agree that I used sufficiently good grammar for an unofficial forum :2c:. Also, why do you have to bring up my educational background? Engineers are known for bad grammar and spelling :). Regardless, I've noticed that you have some superiority issues with people that have attended an institution of higher learning. Finally, don't judge, for all you know, i could have learned English a few years back, and Engineering at U of T doesn't necessarily teach you good grammar and spelling. I found that ignorant and just needed to get it off my chest.

Back to topic. For the third time, CFRC did not have a documented answer. In fact, they sent me home with a ROTP form to fill out. So they think that I am allowed to join ROTP, and you think otherwise. Was that clear enough for you? Because it really isn't for me :cdn:

While you compiled this, I wandered off to have a shower.  I find it interesting that you go to U of T.  That just happened to be what I was thinking as I shampooed.  Seems U of T does not have as high a standard as that held by U of S (A note I have made of many other students who have posted here from that institution.).  ;D  Good English, Grammar, etc. were drilled into students at other Universities.  They are also deemed qualities that one would look for in young officers.  It is also something that I would assume would be a quality in any "Professional" profession. 

As I said, and the members on this site who are working in CFRCs or the CFRG will tell you; and as you quoted me:  If you do not meet those criteria; then you are not eligible. 

I have noticed some who have replied to responses from site members who happen to be actual Recruiters with snide remarks, not bothering to check the profile of the person posting, only to become the brunt of less than polite comments from yet other site members.

If you are not happy with the CFRC, try the online Chat that the CF Recruiting site offers for short periods of the day.  They may have more up to date info, or just tell you the same as you have heard here.  That still leaves you with two choices:  Pick another Entry Plan; or go somewhere else for employment or perhaps try for a Scholarship.

Even Wallace would agree that 30 years of experience and knowledge doesn’t equate to perfection. Never once did I say I didn’t respect his comments regarding the Canadian force. And all I did was write back two sentences defending myself, not retaliating!

Guys/Gals, I know most of you are older than I am, and there are the younger ones, either way please recognize that it is important to distinguish between a suggestion and a rude comment. Regardless of what other people tell you, regardless of your level of education, background, ethnicity or religion – keep an open mind about what other people feel. Being in the Military isn’t always about being strict, it’s about being a good quality officer/ good solider/good NCO. When you are an officer or a senior NCO you will get more than enough share of your opportunities to “yell” at those below your ranks. You will get a chance to be straight forward with them and tell them what they did wrong, or you can be an ass about it and use their personal agenda to give yourself self esteem and superiority complex a boost. The choice is up to you, but let me assure you, the former will have far greater results! How do I know this?? ::)

Wallace,
Nice try, but its still not right, I’ll give you a couple more chances :)
Also, your right U of T Engineering doesn’t advocate grammar and spelling too much. But I think the other departments do a very good job at it – especially the English department  :p. On the other hand, most good engineering university try not to advocate English too much– it’s just how engineering is setup. English is a language, Numbers is a language – So they teach us Numbers instead  ;)

Finally, thank you for all your comments/suggestions. Was very helpful.

Back