• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Submarines - Victoria class, the past, the present and beyond....

Boudreas

Inactive
Reaction score
I have read some very interesting things concerning the highs and the lows of sub service. I have read horror stories about being out to sea almost non stop (the 80's) and glamour stories about docking in Hawaii for a week on training all the while being paid... The life sub-surface sounds like a match made in heaven for a young person looking for adventure...

From what I understand say you are an MARS officer, you finished your phase four training. Is it at this point you can request sub service or do you have to hope your stationed on a sub?

What was working on subs like for Officers and NCM's before the (new)-used Victoria Class subs? What was a tour like and how long was the duration? How long for fun at ports and how often did you port? What was the pay like compared to Sailors not on subs?

Beyond that, what is serving on the Victoria class subs like? Are the tours different today then in the past 20 years?

And of course what does the future look like for Canada and subs? Will I see us bringing in any brand new super subs along the lines of the US fleet or is that just dreaming...

Thanks and looking forward to your responses... I think If I was starting BMOQ today it would probably be 6 or 7 years before I ever served on a sub but dare to dream...

Have you ever been on a sub? I hope you are less than 5'6"...

Not to mention that if they start the engines and the valves don't open properly the whole crew could be killed.

So yeah, its just a big holiday being on a sub.

I was on HMCS Chicoutimi dockside for about an hour and I will never get in a sub again, but thats just me. Although I'm sure there will be people with other opinions here...

Galahad said:
So yeah, its just a big holiday being on a sub.

Galahad said:
Although I'm sure there will be people with other opinions here...

And maybe...just maybe...those people with opinions will actualy have served on a submarine. Unlike you.

There is the lane you are in and then there is the lane you should be in.

CDN Aviator said:
And maybe...just maybe...those people with opinions will actualy have served on a submarine. Unlike you.

There is the lane you are in and then there is the lane you should be in.

Then by all means let them speak up. Everything I said was in the context of what I know, so take that at face value.

Have you ever served on a sub?

Galahad said:
Have you ever served on a sub?

Nope. I search for them, localize them, track them and attack them but dont serve on them.

I hunt them (submarines, that is), so let me weigh in...

In my experience, there are only two types of people who I have met that have served on submarines- those who never want to step onboard a sub again and those who wouldn't do anything else.  So far, the second type have far outnumbered the first- but I have not exactly conducted a scientific survey. 

There are actual submariners on the board- I'm sure they will be along shortly.

I would agree about there being two kinds of people with regards to subs.

There's nothing wrong with being in either group, no question, I'm sure there are very good people on both sides. All I know is that in my (admittedly very brief) time on the sub, I found that it was not for me.

Boudreas, I'd bet that if you toured one of  the subs, you'd be able to decide pretty fast whether it is for you or not.

To each his own...

Why don't you sit in the corner and put yourself on listen/silence concerning this matter and listen to people that have more TI than you do walking the earth.

Boudreas said:
what is serving on the Victoria class subs like?

Galahad....

The above quote was the general question asked by the OP. Having toured the burned out hull of a submarine for an hour in drydock doesnt qualify you to answer in any way shape or form. We have several current and former submariners on this site so STFU.

I'm sorry, but I don't recall reading on the forum rules that only people with thousands of posts and years of service were allowed to have an opinion.

What I said was based on my experience, which I didn't exaggerate on in any manner.

If you haven't served on a sub either then why do you keep posting if you are not  making any attempt to answer his question either. At least I have him some information based on my experience, which is more than you have done.

I've been on the O-Boats before does that make me a master of the subs ........ I think not.

Galahad said:
If you haven't served on a sub either then why do you keep posting

I'm not commenting on the OPs question, i'm commenting on you.
which is more than you have done.

I've toured Oberon-class SSKs 3 times and a Los Angeles-class SSN once......i win.

I meant that my trying to post information was more than you had done, I never admitted to having lots of experience, far from it, I specifically stated what my experience was up front.

All I'm saying is why don't you post some of your useful information based your experience, instead of criticizing me for not knowing as much as you?

Galahad said:
All I'm saying is why don't you post some of your useful information

Because i dont know what fucking life on a sub is like since i never served on one.........get it ?

flush.gif

Hrm,

I'm 6'2. I never thought of that. Is there a height restriction? It would be terrible not being able to stand up straight...

Couldn't tell you, all I know is that there was nowhere on the sub that I could stand up anywhere close to straight, and I am 6'2" myself.

Boudreas said:
Hrm,

I'm 6'2. I never thought of that. Is there a height restriction? It would be terrible not being able to stand up straight...

There will likely be a minimum height restriction - your arms need to be long enough to move from one emergency breathing hose link to another, so people below 5' should not apply. As for max height, well a friend of mine was a NWT and about 6'5" and they wanted him to volunteer for the O Boats - there was alot less room on them...

MM

PS - If all goes according to plan, I'm going to the Vic, am about 6'2" and a good number of the guys there are around my height.

MM

Back