• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Students view of Canadian military power changing?

It seems to me (still civilian for now) that media (CBC, Radio-Canada and left-wing friendly papers) were talking about CF shifting from defensive and peacekeeping forces to a more offensive one in the past ten years. I don't pretend anything here as I am completely new in the field. However, if it is a common feeling shared among civilians, do they associate a more offensive CF with Canada as a growing military power? How do younger Canadians (20-30 years old) see the military compare to the older (30 years and +) with the end of the cold war and the start of 21st century ? Anyway, sorry about that, I'm asking more questions than I answer to any of them, scientific bad habit!
Cheers  :)

Well, I am a university student, and a civillian (although in the process of joining the reserves). I would say it's likely that your students are a bit biased, given they are in this course. I have heard alot of talk about our changing role, but it's usually stated as "arms build up" and "now were peace making" with a very negative connotation. People have his fairy tale idea of blue berets saving the world, and that has been blown to pieces by Afghanistan. But I don't find that people are learning from this, they just have their own made up version of Canadian history and believe we are straying from our roots.

At the same time, my view is biased, because most of this comes from a university setting, which tends to be very left leaning, so it's not a diverse sample of people.

I would be very happy if I was wrong, and people were starting to get the idea that we have more capabilities than peacekeeping, and we need a solid budget, equipment and training to sustain that.

Yup, my personal opinion on the matter goes 110% with len173, and I'am often disappointed about how the medias, specially the French CBC analyze currently the Canadian military. However, I don't want to divert the subject of the present thread.

It is late here, good night to all Westcoaster  ;)

ltmaverick25 said:
This is some good feedback, I would be interested in hearing from more students and or civilians on this matter.  My class is weekly on wed nights.  So I wont be able to report back what the students had to say until then.
Alright, so I had some time to do this today with my Gr.12 World History class. I actually made up a quiz and asked them to complete it anonymously. These are the questions I asked:
1. Do you think of Canada as a military power? Why or why not?
2. What do you think the general public's preception of this is?
3. Do you think Canada's military power has increased or decreased in recent years?
4. Do you think that our participation in Afghanistan has changed people's perception?
5. Do you think that this is a good or bad thing?
Since they've just completed it, I haven't had time to collate the data; I'll try to do that this afternoon. But from a quick look, the answer to the principal question is 24% yes, 66% no (21 students).
Some rather interesting answers of the questions, especially in regards to the current mission and how they perceive our military. More to follow.

Okay, so here's some numbers. Now, just a disclaimer before I start. After reading through the responses, I realized in retrospect that some of the questions are a bit convoluted. The sample size was 21 students.
Yes=24%, No=76%
2. What do you think the general public's preception of this is?
Yes=24%, No=66%, Don't Know=10%
3. Do you think Canada's military power has increased or decreased in recent years?
Increased=38%, Decreased=43%, Same=5%, Don't Know=14%
4. Do you think that our participation in Afghanistan has changed people's perception?
Yes=48%, No=38%, Don't Know=14%
5. Do you think that this is a good or bad thing?
Good=43%, Bad=43%, Undecided=14%

I'm actually curious to talk to them about it, based on some of the responses. It's obvious that a lot of them are not in tune with what is going on. A lot used the comment about "peacekeepers" (which drove me crazy as I read them). If anyone is interested, I can post some of the comments.
Hope this helps.

ex-Sup said:
Okay, so here's some numbers...

It's obvious that a lot of them are not in tune with what is going on...

What seems more important to consider is that students, whether they are in high school or univeristy, believe what their instructors tell them about the military or what they read on blogs, and occasionally once in a while what their parents tell them.  Very few (from my own experience in talking with them) seek information for themselves and develop thir own opinion.

Perhaps an open discussion on the subject might provide amplification on what they answered to these questions?

Id be interested in seeing some of the comments.  We just had a debrief on the papers in my class and got to hear what alot of our students had to say.  Later tonight when I get home ill add more detail.

Greymatters said:
Perhaps an open discussion on the subject might provide amplification on what they answered to these questions?
That's the plan, but I'll have try to squeeze it in somewhere. This isn't a World Issues class (though I'll be passing it on to her in case she wants to use this in her class) so it isn't part of the curriculum. We just started the Enlightenment, so it doesn't mesh with 18th century philosphers  :p
ltmaverick25 said:
Id be interested in seeing some of the comments.
I'll put something together  :)

ltmaverick25 said:
Id be interested in seeing some of the comments.
Okay, so check the attached Word document. I've quoted selected answers for each question, and I've tried to keep them as original as possible ie. spelling and grammar. Please keep in mind that as previously mentioned, some of the questions were not particularly clear. A class discussion is definitely on the books!

ex-Sup said:
Okay, so check the attached Word document... 

ex-Sup said:

Hmmm, I don’t really see any changing viewpoints here. Some good answers, but: “follow the US military”; “ fighting someone else’s war”; “I consider us peacekeepers”; “we are all about peace, not war”.  This is pretty much parroting of common misconceptions of the military in Canada. 

ex-Sup said:
2. What do you think the general public’s perception of this is?

The phrase “fights for peace” seems to be the general theme here…

ex-Sup said:
3. Do you think that Canada’s military power has increased or decreased in recent years?

Why do some students feel compelled to mention Iraq?  Did they not understand the question?

“I believe that in recent years the military power of Canada has decreased. This is due in part to every politician who has sought a peace prize and decreased funding to the military.”
- I love this one, even if its not completely true. I recommend giving this person an A+

ex-Sup said:
4. Do you think that our participation in Afghanistan has changed people’s perception?

“I think it doesn’t b/c most ppl don’t even know whats going on.”
I think this person is spending too much time on chat forums…

“Meh…don’t watch news.”
At least this person is honest about it…

ex-Sup said:
5. Do you think that this is a good thing or bad thing?
“I think that Canada’s role in Afghanistan is a bad thing because we’re only piggy backing the U.S. Harper’s government finds it necessary to involve a country who has no reason to be there while sacrificing lives.”
Horribly misinformed…

“Yes and no, loss of life is never good but because of Afghanistan’s instability and constant war it’s good we are trying to help”
There is still hope…

It was scary reading some of those answers... University students using internet lingo on their answers? This is why I always insist on producing the final product on group projects. I take everybody's piece and translate it to English.

As for their answers.... a little too cliche for my liking. They've plagiarized their opinions from someone else who's probably less intelligent than them.

This peacekeeping thing drives me nuts, more so than all the mentioning of Iraq and just doing what the US tells us to. Honestly, this is pure gold:
"I consider us peacekeepers, which I think is better. The closer we are to no military the closer we are to world peace."

He/She wants peacekeepers but wants no military. Seriously?!?! This reminds me of my friend's dad, a musician, who has absolutely CONDEMNED me for joining the CF, but has a song dedicated to Peacekeepers called "The Keeper's."

ballz said:
It was scary reading some of those answers... University students using internet lingo on their answers? This
"I consider us peacekeepers, which I think is better. The closer we are to no military the closer we are to world peace." 

Anything that can be added here would be just preaching to the choir...

Folks, that word document you just read arent the university students I was talking about, these are highschool students in a completely different class.  I was the one talking about the university sudents but also keep in mind that this is a Canadian military history class so their knowledge base is somewhat different then that of someone who has not taken this type of course or examined the material out of personal interest.

For my students, I did not hand out a paper based quiz, rather we just held a fire side chat of sorts to see what the students had to say.  I will try my best to paraphraze the answers I got.  Keep in mind I got a lot of answers as there are 130 people in the class, so I am mentioning larger consences here, not every answer I got.

I started the discussion off by saying that, the vast majority of you were using terms like "If it wasnt for X Canada would not be the power that it is today" ect...

I mentioned to them that I found this facinating because it was my beleif that the vast majority of the public would flatly disagree with this.  Lets discuss...

Here is what I got.

-How can people think Canada is not a power.  Just look at the facts and our track record.  Wasnt it Canada that brought the British their first victory at during the Boer War, a fluke sure but still!  Wasnt it Canada that was known as Shock Troops in the Great War?  Wasnt there a guy that won an award for that in the papers a little while ago?  Didnt we have over 1 million people in uniform during the Second World War? 

Fast forward to more modern stuff, the facts that were presented were as follows...

-Didnt we bomb the crap out of the serbians in Kosovo?  Arent we doing more fighting then anyone else in Afghanistan?  Didnt we stop being global wimps after Sept 11th?

Again, I am paraphrazing their sentiments here...

When I asked them about Canada as a peacekeeping force...

-No, we arent peacekeepers, we just filled a task that nobody else could do, and now its a task that nobody can do, the world changed, and we changed with it.
-Yes we are still peacekeepers but we are pragmatic enough to understand that you cant peacekeep in a war zone
-yes we are still peacekeepers but only because of the myth, reality has yet to set in on society
- I wish that peacekeeping was still where Canada was, but, to peacekeep is to watch people die, nobody should ever do that

Should we stay in Afghanistan?

The vast majority of the students said yes.  When asked why, they were proud of the fact that Canada could finally make a difference again.

There was a loud minority that objected to this, felt it was an American war, and that we had no business being there.

I asked them if Canada should become more aggressive on the world scene.  The answers seemed to be evenly divided between yes and no.

But here is something I found really interesting.  A fierce debate broke out between two students.  One student insisted that we should not be getting involved in the rest of the world, that we shouldnt be trying to help people with our military, or stop others from causing harm.  He felt that the money spent on the military would be better spent on health care and job protection programs during harsh economic concerns.

The other student jumped all over this arguments, called the kid selfish and then quoted Churchill.  He said, "Sir Winston Churchill once said that ""All it takes for evil to endure is for good men to do nothing""  Are you a good man or not"?

The other student was speachless.

At that point I brought an end to the debate and we got back on with the class.

Overall I felt the results were rather mixed, but in a much more positive direction then I would have otherwise thought.  I think as someone else said, this is a Canadian millitary history class, so were talking to kids that have spent the past semester learning all the facts about our military history, which makes them not a universal sample of the Canadian population.

Greymatters said:
Anything that can be added here would be just preaching to the choir...

Indeed, but, as annoying as it is, I think its interesting to be able to know what a certain sample of our youth think on these matters.  I may start a second thread asking about what we can do as individual CF members to try and change public perception to be more in line with reality.

First off, great stuff, and it is great that you are doing it and I feel comforted by some of the statements that you paraphrased from your students - quoting Churchill  :nod:

Not sure how you come across to  your students - are your opinions on this matter made obvious to the students? Maybe this could salt or influence their thoughts.

ltmaverick25 said:
Indeed, but, as annoying as it is, I think its interesting to be able to know what a certain sample of our youth think on these matters.  I may start a second thread asking about what we can do as individual CF members to try and change public perception to be more in line with reality.
I second that motion with both hands up!

chimo

PanaEng said:
First off, great stuff, and it is great that you are doing it and I feel comforted by some of the statements that you paraphrased from your students - quoting Churchill  :nod:

Not sure how you come across to  your students - are your opinions on this matter made obvious to the students? Maybe this could salt or influence their thoughts.

I dont try to present myself as unbiased, I dont think that is possible for me.  Instead what I do is try my best to present them with both arguments, or all 3 arguments assuming there is more then one.  I do let them know which school of thought I belong to though.  Some disagree with this profusely, but, I just dont think I would be very good at hiding/faking it.

ltmaverick25 said:

Well one thing I believe would give people a different perspective about our military and the Afghanistan mission would  have to be, instead of all the news broadcast's such as ctv, cbc, etc they should start talking about good things that are happening over there and not always about death and are soldiers getting injured, I mean people see that and no wonder their saying bring our soldiers home, because that's all they hear about....I no it's all for ratings and they think that's what people want to see and hear about but it's not, I can bet a large majority would rather here of the good things we're doing instead of death....I know I do.
Another thing I would say is more stories about Afghanistan like that one titled "Fighting Ghosts" I seen on some face book groups that some people that didn't believe in the mission and wanted our soldiers home watched it and it change their perspective about what were doing over there, and the changes we are making..... If people would just educate themselves a little bit more and these things could help, maybe they can see what exactly is going on and what we're doing over there, and see it and understand it better.

SoldierInTheMaking said:
Well one thing I believe would give people a different perspective about our military and the Afghanistan mission would  have to be, instead of all the news broadcast's such as ctv, cbc, etc they should start talking about good things that are happening over there and not always about death and are soldiers getting injured, I mean people see that and no wonder their saying bring our soldiers home, because that's all they hear about....I no it's all for ratings and they think that's what people want to see and hear about but it's not, I can bet a large majority would rather here of the good things we're doing instead of death....I know I do.

Unfortunately (well.. fortunately) the military doesn't tell the media what to report. I think Canada could benefit from a right-wing media group just to combat all the left-wing media and that way the two forces combined could provide people that want ALL the facts with ALL the facts, but I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon.

Back