• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strange Deduction....

63 Delta

Inactive
Reaction score
Reviewing my pay statements, i noticed a deduction of $1400. It was under Cash/DBA acquittance roll. Can any of you RMS clerks online, please decode that for me?

Appreciate it.

Thats how it shows up when they recover a claim advance or part thereof. Also when you sign the sheet for something like a mess dinner. Judging by the amount its more like they are recovering after a claim was finalized ( or it was not done by the date indicated)

Umm... did you notice a deposit for +/- 1400$ on or around the same time ???

Thanks for the help guys. This $1400 deduction is really wierd. The worst part is the clerk is giving me the runaround. If been trying to figure it out for over 4 + months, but just keep on getting dicked around. Its almost like they want you to get disgruntled and forget about it...

Ask the clerk for a copy of the acquittance roll - it should prompt your memory.  Or get another set of questions asked...

Other alternative is... file a grievance for a misc deduction for which you don't have a clue to it's being there.
Let them prove to you that it's appropriate

geo said:
Other alternative is... file a grievance for a misc deduction for which you don't have a clue to it's being there.
Let them prove to you that it's appropriate
Thats like putting the cart long before the horses.

well, if someone deducted 1400 from my pay without any explanation, I'd certainly want an explanation OR to get the $$$ back.  Grievances do that you know... and if the Admin staff get away with stringing him around beyond 6 months... the grievance process would no longer be an option.

Cover all bases... always

If the clerk is jerking you around, just draft a memo through the chain asking for clarification of the deduction.  Now your supervisor is aware there is/maybe a problem and you should get an answer.

The clerk can answer this fairly simply, check outstanding claims.  Did you go on TD recently, with an advance?  Did you finalize that claim?  If you hadn't finalized the claim within a certain time period, they are going to take the advanced back off your pay.  Here we usually get a heads up from the cashier it's going to happen and try ti fix it before it goes that far.

Clerks don't just take money.  This sounds alot like an LTA advance that was not finalized.  If your Sqn clerk can't help you your next stop should be the ROR and inform your chain of command.

I had the same thing a few months back.I was going to Texas early (read WEEKS) and received a pile of U.S currency from my ROR prior to leaving.Partly the ROR fault and partly my own I didn't ask where the money was coming from,and just assumed it was an advance on TD.

A couple months later almost 600 dollars was missing from my account.

Came to find out it was an advance on my NEXT PAY!Really had the possibility of going real sour for my family.Luckily we had some savings at that time.

If your in Recce sqn,I know how busy you guys were (not as busy as the panzers..however) so remind your Troop Mcpl you need to see the clerk ASAP.If it seems she's giving you the run around bring it up through your chain.Nothing sorts a lazy clerk out more than a troop warrant asking them why their troops are being messed around.I've seen it happen and I have instigated.

It's sad really when a troop has to come on a army website to try and sort his pay out.Having a bad sqn clerk is the worst thing ever.And I've seen my share.

X-mo-1979 said:
Having a bad sqn clerk is the worst thing ever.And I've seen my share.

Same here. I've also seen my share of troops who couldnt keep their own admin straight, neglect to hand in claims on time, dont keep the required receipts, spend their advances before leaving on the course/tasking......etc....

I'm pretty certain there are more than a few clerks out there who would love to help you out.  (I'm retired - out of the loop so I can't do it myself - sorry!)  Bad clerks give us all a bad name, and we don't like them any more than you do.

But, unless things have changed by gargantuan proportions since I got out, the Sqn clerk wouldn't have direct access to your pay info, so even they are going through a couple of other people to get this sorted out.  And if there's one bad apple in that communication link...  well, you get the idea.  Don't blame everything automatically on your sqn clk.

But, yeah, if your pay is messed up and it could mean your family going hungry for a while or missing a mortgage payment, your sqn clk should be setting fires under more than a few important people's chairs.

That's my 2 kopecks.  But hey, I'm a retired old fart.  What do I know about how it's done now?  No, seriously, there's new computer networks so my ideas of how things flow may be right out of it.

first - which clerk is dicking you around?  The sqn clerk or your pay clerk?  If the problem is your pay clerk then ask to see the supervisor (should be a master jack), tell them the problem and have them give you the answer.  This really is an easy problem that any pay clerk should be able to answer. If it is the Sqn clerk - why are you going through them?  This is a pay problem so you need to talk to the pay clerks directly. Technically your Sqn Clerk should not be able to get answers from the pay office on your pay as this falls under the need to know rule and they don't need to know - you do.

The code you asked about could be several things as the others here have indicated.  The answer is in the pay system itself so you need someone that can access your pay.  Ask to review your transaction screens back to the month the $1400 was taken out and insist they verify what the deduction was. The clerk should be able to drill down into it and find more info on it such as who entered it and the AR number.

The amount sounds like either a claim or pay advance but if you can't remember getting that amount (happens quite often) then better find out what it is.  Has happened that an AR transaction was posted against the wrong person.

CDN Aviator said:
Same here. I've also seen my share of troops who couldn't keep their own admin straight, neglect to hand in claims on time, don't keep the required receipts, spend their advances before leaving on the course/tasking......etc....

Agreed.
It's a two way street.
I have had zero issues as a Mcpl,however as a cpl/tpr going into the clerks office with some clerks my admin seemed to be a burden to them.I.E "did you find my birth certificate yet?" etc.

However I also talked to my guys about bugging the poor clerk with B/S,before they went to talk to her they talk to me.At least then if I perceive someone messing someone around (either side)appropriate action can be taken.

X-mo-1979 said:
Agreed.
It's a two way street.
I have had zero issues as a Mcpl,however as a cpl/tpr going into the clerks office with some clerks my admin seemed to be a burden to them.I.E "did you find my birth certificate yet?" etc.

However I also talked to my guys about bugging the poor clerk with B/S,before they went to talk to her they talk to me.At least then if I perceive someone messing someone around (either side)appropriate action can be taken.

I am hoping when you say birth certificate you mean photocopy which should have been easy to find as it is supposed to be on the pers file somewhere near the very bottom.

geo said:
well, if someone deducted 1400 from my pay without any explanation, I'd certainly want an explanation OR to get the $$$ back.  Grievances do that you know... and if the Admin staff get away with stringing him around beyond 6 months... the grievance process would no longer be an option.

Cover all bases... always
They certainly do ... once all other avenues havebeen exhausted. Submitting a grievance at this stage would only result in but a few scenarios. Yes you may get the answer you are seeking, and will also suffer the wrath of CoC for the misuse of CF ressources. Or it will simply be thrown out and in either case end labelling yourself.

The clerk not providing a satisfactory answer? How about asking their supervisor? Addressing it through your CoC? Seriously there are so many other avenues that you could take for an issue such as this before a grievance ever became a justified means. Not to make light, but what you are suggesting is that if you ate at the mess and the jello was quite cold enough that you should submit a grievance.

No I'm talking about a goverment issued birth certificate from NFLD.Which my mother had to get twice as my clerk LOST it twice.
The goverment building actually called me to make sure it was me requesting the birth certificates,to ensure it wasnt fraud.
They asl explained to me the possiability of idenity fraud with now two missing birth certificates which my clerk could not find avant two dags.

I complained,nothing was done.

This clerk is now a sgt.

X-mo-1979 said:
No I'm talking about a goverment issued birth certificate from NFLD.Which my mother had to get twice as my clerk LOST it twice.
The goverment building actually called me to make sure it was me requesting the birth certificates,to ensure it wasnt fraud.
They asl explained to me the possiability of idenity fraud with now two missing birth certificates which my clerk could not find avant two dags.

I complained,nothing was done.

This clerk is now a sgt.

???

As was mentioned before; it should be a "PHOTOCOPY" in your Pers File.  I have both the paper and the plastic originals in my personal possession.  Why you gave one, and then a second "original" to a Clerk is beyond me.  Even with Crse Certificates that one achieves outside of the CF system; it is only photocopies that are kept on your Pers File.  The originals go on your "I Love Me Wall" at home or in your office.......or some other private place/box.  ;D

Back