• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't use the Sterling.  I used the SMG C1 and loved it.  Was easy to strip.  Easy to carry.  Fit well into a Vehicle.  I was fairly proficient up to 100m with it.  10 and 30 rd mags.  It was a very 'simple' wpn.

Can someone provide a picture or a link to a picture of this weapon?

Good weapon for room clearing...Just cock it, then toss it in the room needing to be cleared and close the door. The gun would do the rest. (famous for accidental discharges) ;D

I did enjoy shooting and carrying that weapon though.

Slim

Is this deja vu, or what?  We had a thread on this, I thought.  The Sten you might have been able to toss into a room and roll the whole mag, not the Sterling, and especially not after the trigger group mods after that poor guy shpt himself jumping off a truck in the October 1970 crisis.

TCBF said:
Is this deja vu, or what?   We had a thread on this, I thought.   The Sten you might have been able to toss into a room and roll the whole mag, not the Sterling, and especially not after the trigger group mods after that poor guy shpt himself jumping off a truck in the October 1970 crisis.

Sorry Bro...Gotta disagree with you there. I have had plenty of the weapons "jump" on me from time to time. They fired from an open bolt and were notorious for AD's.

I seem to remember that the dirty secret to carrying one was not to carry it cocked. When you wanted to fire you just held the trigger down and cocked the weapon, and away she went...

On the bright side they were very dependable and tough as a rock.

I did enjoy using them very much.

I also remember that the mags everybody wanted were the 32 round British "roller" mags that did seem to work just a bit better...

Slim

By "jump" you mean one round, not the whole mag, right?

Ah, I enjoyed the SMG.

Not certain just how it was different from the Sterling. It was a simple little short range weapon, used 9 mm rounds so it would sort of rattle around in my hands instead of kick like a rifle.

I remember being trained to hold the butt against my stomach as one way of shooting straight "from the hip". Not much kick, so easy to do. Sight had 100 and 200 yard settings, and past that you may as well throw rocks. I was pretty good with it. Easy to maintain, very simple weapon. Basically a barrel on a pipe,  with a spring and a bolt inside. (Okay it was a little more complex - but not by much.)

Stock could fold up, which was handy in tight spaces. I hated firing it with the stock folded, felt wrong and harder to aim. Fun to use overall. Kind of felt like a toy beside the FN's.

Crazy_Eye's, here's another SMG C1 photo http://www.rcafp.ca/cgi-bin/pg/displayimage.php?album=10&pos=0

FYI,the stormtroopers in the original star wars are using sterlings with "raygun" stuff glued on them.

Slim, what was different about the 32 rd mags? I heard about them, but never knew why they were considered better.

x-grunt said:
Slim, what was different about the 32 rd mags? I heard about them, but never knew why they were considered better.

There was a small roller-type thingie that sat on top of the spring, onto which you loaded the ammo. I don't know that thye were any better, although they didn't seem to jam at all like the Cdn ones occasionally did...may have just been the cool factor, not sure as I'ts been quite sometime since I used that weapon.

I too remember the shooting from the hip and tummy stances. I tried it with an MP-5 one time...Not quite the same.

As for "jump" I mean that i can remmeber cocking the weapon one time and an entire mag blew off...Made me very popular that day! (MILCON '86 I think)

Still a great piece of kit though...It always blows me away to see the Stormtroopers using the Sterling with optical sights on it. Does anyone know what the larger weapons were that they had in the dessert? (Tatooine)

"As for "jump" I mean that i can remmeber cocking the weapon one time and an entire mag blew off...Made me very popular that day! (MILCON '86 I think)"

I have never seen that in a Sub-Machine Gun, 9 mm, C1.

In my experience, the biggest problem were with the guys who figured just because the weapon wasn't cocked there was no need for the safety to be on.

As for a multi-round jump, I'm shamed to admit it but it happened to me due to less than satisfactory cleaning.  The open bolt let all manner of crud and corruption fall into the action and my trigger mech became heavily contaminated by sand due to a little too much oil.  When I cocked the weapon and let go the...errr...thingee (trust me, it's really a highly techincal term for the part)...that held the bolt back didn't engage when the bolt came forward.  Fortunately it was blank.

When I cocked the weapon and let go the...errr...thingee (trust me, it's really a highly techincal term for the part)..

The sear?

The SMG was a very simple, very cheap weapon.  There was nothing extra-ordinary about it, except for the fact that it could be operated by the simplest of people with the minimum of training.  Great for dropping off behind enemy lines and so on. 

There was, and still is, many better examples of machine guns out there, that are both much safer and much more accurate, and many of us have fired them.

I can still never figure out why we put a bayonet stud on it though.  It's not as if I would jump out of my Lynx and attach a bayonet to the stupid thing.

One of the many things that puzzle me...........

Having said all that, it was fun.  Not a great weapon, but it was fun.

Lance Wiebe said:
The sear?

Doah!  Yeah, the sear, doesn't roll off the tongue the way thingee does but much more descriptive!

"Canada Evidence Act" doesn't roll off the tongue either... ;D

The Canadian Arsenals Limited Sterling (SMG 9mm C1) differed from it's UK counterpart in many ways such as:

- C1 had a one piece bolt, the UK one had a two piece
- different recoil springs
- the mags as ours had a basic follower (10 and 30 rd capacity) and the UK one a roller which is mentioned on here in another post, and the UK one is a 34rd mag, not 32rd. STENs had 32 rd mags though, and the Cdn 9mm Ball ammo used to come in boxes of 64rds, which was carried over from the STEN days. I have no idea how its packed now.
- trigger groups are different, and trigger guards
- rear butts are slightly different (the UK one is lighter with more holes in the strut)
- mag releases are different
- front and rear sights are different (C1 SMG used the same front sight as the FN C1 and C2 family of small arms, and the front sight adjusting screw was the same as the arctic trigger guard retaining screw on the C1 and C2.
- different bayonets are used (FNC1 on ours and the No5 jungle carbine bayonet on the UK one)
- end caps are different
- on some UK versions even the protective surfaces were painted, while teh C1 SMG was phosphated
- The UK had a version which was even suppressed called the L34A1.

About the C1 SMG, with the safety catch on 'S' the bolt was also locked in the forward position to prevent any   'drop fire' incidents. With the change lever on R or A, if dropped or when jumping from a vehicle with the bolt forward (wpn not cocked) there acan be enpough inertia to bring the bolt back far enough to pick up a cartridge (but no enough usually to cock it) from the mag and fire it, thus re-cocking the weapon. with the change lever on 'S' and cocked, the action again could not be fired as it was locked to the rear.

Cheers,

Wes

Wasn't the Australian F1 SMG also based on the Sterling? Few more modifications though, such as the top-loading mag, similiar to the Owen gun of WW2 (which I've seen pictures of being used as late as Vietnam in 1966).

About the only thing the F1 SMG and the C1 SMG/Sterling is the calibre, and both the mags interchange. The F1 uses some SLR parts, that being the rear sling swivel, modified pistol grip, and the butt plate.

The F1 used the standard L1A1 SLR bayonet (basically the same bayonet as the FNC1), and had NO provison for a BFA. The F1 SMG along with the L1A1 SLR were in service well into the early 1990's, and were still around in 1995 at some Units.

Another Sterling fact is the 32 rd STEN mag will interchange, but the Sterling mags will NOT fit into a STEN.

Go figure.

Cheers,

Wes

Just a point......the bolt had a fixed firing pin.  So if dropped enough to pick up a round........well 50/50 chance of firing....depends on amount of return pressure I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back