• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Staying in the Army

R

Ruthless4Life

Quick question: as far as I know, NCM has 6 years in the reg force, and CO has 9 years, right?
(I was told by a recruiter, but correct me if I‘m wrong)

After the contract, IF I want to stay (either NCM or CO) will I be allowed? And if yes, and when reach the age of retirement, do they kick you out or you have a choice to stay longer?

Thanks a lot!

Ruthless

i‘m pretty sure i seen that it was 4 years for NCO
and 9 years for officers...

When your contract is complete, you will have a choice to sign another contract or leave. With regards to retirement, it is mandatory at 55, but I have heard there are some people challenging that, and retirement is creeping up beyond 55.

Depends what trades you take. The lowest for NCM is 3 years, and thats in infantry. In contrast, 5 years is minimum for marine engineering mechanic.

For the officer, same deals. 7 years is the lowest I‘ve seen, with up to 9 if you become a doctor or pilot.

As mentioned before, its all contract, so when your contract expires your good to go or stay in whether you like or not.

This is the brake down.
1st Basic engagment 3 yrs (BE)
2nd Basic engagment 3 yrs (BE)
Intermediate engagment up to your 20th yr (IE)
then the militery has the option of giving your an extended 5 yr Continuous engagment (CE) or Indeffinate period service (IPS upto age 60).
:evil: :tank:

I‘ve now seen a few conflicting reports as to compulsory retirement age -- 55 to 65 depending on who you talk to, and sometimes it depends what rank you are - the lower your rank, the sooner they punt you. Anybody know (or know where to look) for the real lowdown?

The last official stat, was 60 yrs old. It does not depend on rank. But if your just a Cpl your highly gone by 20.
:evil: :tank:

How likely are you to get your contract renewed after your initial contract? Because I don‘t want to quit my current job and then do a three year contract and then not have a job. please advise.

The last official stat, was 60 yrs old. It does not depend on rank. But if your just a Cpl your highly gone by 20.
Unless your one of those little fat guys that drives the school buses. Man, some of those guys could be my grandfather.

Back